Hi! New owner, I am 18 by the way... :D Pic heavy.

Welcome mate, nice car! Its a shame that its not a Nismo exhaust, woulda made it worth a little more. If you have rattleing underneath I wouldn't put your hopes on it being a rusty strut as there is a lot of common issues that cause knock/rattles

P.s fair play to you for owning a Z at 18! I'm 26 and (without sounding big headed) my Z is far faster than any of my closest mates cars.. Your mates must be intimidated :lol: Enjoy the Zed

@ZHopeful Thanks, that is extremely reassuring. Did you go with Admiral by any chance? Admiral comes up as the cheapest but it states I have to use a box for just 3 months, the next cheapest is Elephant at nearly £2000 with no box at all. I would still easily and happily pay £2000, or is the box route the way to go?

Edited by MCook

Welcome.. I got mine at 19 and paid around the same for insurance, so presumably the quote was from Admiral? If so, don't worry about it changing too much.. mine didn't!

Jeez - don't know how you two are inputting your details but I'd be amazed if you could get insurance on a zed for £2000 at 18 (or 19).

Even allowing for the gender directive - which stopped firms discriminating against young male drivers even though statistically they have the most accidents - I can't see that £2k adequately covers the risk...and then there's those aftermarket wheels, exhausts....

Please believe I'm not trying to be an @rse or a killjoy - but if you don't disclose all relevant facts to an insurer - not just the ones that they ask for, you are storing up problems and leaving yourselves open to having your cover voided in the event of a claim - which could be potentially ruinous to you.

Welcome.. I got mine at 19 and paid around the same for insurance, so presumably the quote was from Admiral? If so, don't worry about it changing too much.. mine didn't!

Jeez - don't know how you two are inputting your details but I'd be amazed if you could get insurance on a zed for £2000 at 18 (or 19).

Even allowing for the gender directive - which stopped firms discriminating against young male drivers even though statistically they have the most accidents - I can't see that £2k adequately covers the risk...and then there's those aftermarket wheels, exhausts....

Please believe I'm not trying to be an @rse or a killjoy - but if you don't disclose all relevant facts to an insurer - not just the ones that they ask for, you are storing up problems and leaving yourselves open to having your cover voided in the event of a claim - which could be potentially ruinous to you.

I have listed all the modifications, my parents are both named drivers, 5000 miles a year, and the quotes I get back are still under £2000, I have been over and over the details and there is nothing wrong

Had mine for about 2 weeks now!

Quick explanation... I will be 19 this month and by the 26th I will have my first years no claims, which means I can swap the insurance on my first car (1999 Saab 9-3 2.2 TID, wanted a big engine and something out of the ordinary in terms of a first car at 18!) and get my new 2006 350z insured. :D

The cheapest I have been quoted was £1400 fully comp, here is hoping nothing changes between now and the time I am ready to go ahead and insure it. I know this seems extremely cheap for someone my age, I myself was quite shocked but I think it has something to do with my post code area, full of OAP's and very low crime rate. I played around with quotes and used a few friends adresses to see the price difference, in some cases it was £2000 more than what I was quoted.

I paid £9990, it has 40,000 miles and one owner from new, I posted this on Pistonheads and was bombarded with replies that I have overpaid, but I do not feel I have, probably because I am too excited, it is 100% worth it in my opinion.

Pictures...

33ognqu.jpg

1196qo7.jpg

2dttz0n.jpg

vrvrqw.jpg

257hsec.jpg

eflcau.jpg

2zzkork.jpg

idvpq9.jpg

2a4u3d.jpg

2mmhc0j.jpg

2nsm9eu.jpg

10dzmdu.jpg

I do have a few things to query, first thing being the exhaust. It was advertised by the garage that it had the Nismo system fitted, now having done some research and from watching exhaust clips on YouTube I have determined that my exhaust is far louder than that of the noise the Nismo system produces.

I do have a video on YouTube of the noise is creates ( :D ) but not sure if I am ok to link it on here..? I have had a theory that it is the cobra system as the back box is small like the cobras. Lets just say it likes to pop and bang quite a bit, possibly non resonated?

Also I notices my front driver side tyre was flat ( still on run flats though ) I then picked up a dent on my Jade R alloy! Here is a picture, if you look closely you can see where the gap widens. I am guessing the tyre is no longer creating a seal against the alloy.

a14gwl.jpg

Is something like this repairable? Or will I be looking at new alloys.. D:

I also have a £600 repair bill as the rear strut is completely rusted and I believe is the cause of all the rattling noise when driving, possibly because the previous owning lived right on the coast with all of that salt water on the roads, the underside did not fair to well.

Cannot wait to get one the road on my own! (MUM CURRENTLY FERRIES ME AROUND IN IT)

18 and you have a Zed wow! I bet you will be the envy of all your friends. Nice one :D Don't worry too much about paying over the odds, you obviously fell in love at first sight (I mean come on, Zeds are seductive beasts) and you may very well have a good clutch on her which will save you spending out 1k a new one (like me soon!) Enjoy

I have listed all the modifications, my parents are both named drivers, 5000 miles a year, and the quotes I get back are still under £2000, I have been over and over the details and there is nothing wrong

I got mine when I was 20 and the insurance was never over 1300. Alongside this, the price of insurance has been on the decrease so I'm not too shocked at your quote

Good luck to you and kudos for taking on a ZED at your age :thumbs:

I'll always remember when we had a 17 year old peddling a GT4 around on one of our Wales weekend (it was his mum's car and she was the passenger) and his road positioning and everything else that goes with being a good road driver was spot on from what I and several other members who commented upon at the time said. And the fact we see many young drivers handling quick cars on the limit on track is really inspiring. Yes, its very easy to point to stats about how the majority drive (including the OAP brigade :blush:) but I for one look forward to hear how you get on with the ZED.

And I never understand why owners knock those who have paid a price they think is too high. For me it is good news if potential owners think our cars are worth paying extra for, albeit that might not be what other wannabe's want to see........

• Like 2

Could be a Cobra exhaust, although it's angled slightly downward?

here's mine:

20130613_1902301_zps3527cc6a.jpg

Welcome and I hope you enjoy it :)

I did have a look under the car and I could not see any branding on the exhaust anywhere (Unless I am completely blind), but it does look identical to the Cobra system. I noticed my exhaust was slanted the other day, will have to get another look under her today.