Craziest car you have owned/driven?

Peak 370

We had a good old car-aholic get together last night at a rural pub and the subject turned to very high performance cars, after a local brought his 750 bhp Ultima out in the evening sunshine. That thing has astonishing shove from tickover to 7,000 rpm.

What was the maddest car you drove?

I will try and find his You Tube video but in April I drove a guy's 1,237 bhp Dodge Viper. It handled like a 60s muscle car but the outright speed was neck altering. Several firms are now getting 1,200 bhp from the big Dodge/Chrysler engine.

• Like 1

Craziest car I've ever driven was my mum's Citroen Xantia diesel estate. That thing was amazing, the dash bought was always lit up like the New York skyline. It told me, I was going to break down at any moment and that I had better call my dad ASAP for a lift. Putting your foot down in that thing was also astonishing, you'd have to write a letter to the engine, send it, and hoped it would get back to you which it never did, for any response in acceleration. A woeful piece shite that car was. Then there were the brakes! I stood a better chance of stopping if I opened the door and my pressed my nike on the tarmac. The Citroen DT which did mean diesel turbo, but I liked to think it meant death trap.

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 13

Modded Defender 90 - it'd go anywhere - I'm nearly 6ft4 and even I had to climb 'up' to get to the driver's seat, and I still managed to fill it with water above my waistline driving it through a river one time... Didn't think it was that deep (famous last words, I know) so I ended up shoving my wallet and phone in my teeth to avoid the drenching.

• Like 2

A Triumph TR7 fitted with a tuned V8 (not TR8). Very powerful, for its day, but nothing done to modify brakes, steering and suspension and most of the car rotten as a pear. Decided not to buy because I valued my life.

What Dan said, although mine was a measly 150bhp standard VX220 - never in a car have I had to instinctively hold my breath so often when cornering - its not blindingly quick in a straight line (well its quicker than my old Zed, probably slower than my Skyline) but the speed you could carry though corners was mind blowing.

Probably this:

100_0798.jpg

Procharged LS2 putting out around 700hp when I drove it, had no grip under 60mph but when it did grip it was too fast to actually check the speedo to see what speed you were going. Theres an interesting story involving the unmarked police car that followed us but Ill save that for another day ;)

Although this one:

EdY3niMg.jpg

is ridiculous, I dont know what the power to weight is but its got to be close to 1bhp/kg - I took it round Spa in the absolute pissing rain and the only thing that went past it was a GT3 991 RSR, sideways up Eau Rouge was a laugh :lol:

Will - one word. How? :scare:

Im also owed a drive in a true 1bhp/kg Westfield running a turbocharged Hayabusa engine, Ill report back if I survive :lol:

I should point out none of these are mine although they are all for sale at the right price if anyone is interested ........... ;)

Edited by docwra

I'll eat my hat if anyone else on here has driven one of these. An Austin Princess Vanden Plas with a 4.0L Rolls Royce engine :lol: . O.K so I only drove it 5 miles because my ex father in law drunk but what an experience :).

Vanden-Plas_Princess_4-litre_R_front.jpg

Pete

• Like 4

I used to drive this every day at Mercedes Benz world for their Silver Arrows displays, I even drove it on GMTV once with Vikki Butler-Henderson as my passenger :lol:

3298_70351388878_6099728_n.jpg

No brakes, and a top speed of 11mph, it was always scary 1) starting it as you're essentially throwing the flywheel round to put compression into the single cylinder and it would kick back like a ****er if you didn't get it just right. 2) when a small child would run directly in front of you literally without warning! The fuel it ran on was actually welding agent and you had to warm everything with hot water before running it :lol:

edit: missed a space!

Edited by AliveBoy
  • Like 3