Astra VXR surprised the hell out of my!!

Easty

I have just as much fun in the Jaaaaag as I did in the Zed, different kind of fun though of course. She is a big girl, 1.8t kerb weight, but bundles of torque and with 2 sequential turbos when you want instant power and use the paddles she is as quick off the mark as a standard Zed and I would say at speed in gear ie overtaking she is quicker :p

Yeah I used to love the noise and the low down seating position of the Zed but now I get to almost silently (inside & out) breeze past people at rediculous knots (legal of course) in absolute comfort with 500 watts pumping out through 17 speakers :band:

Does it compare to the Zed? In no posible way can you compare it other than it has 4 wheels and the power comes from the right 2 of them ;)

Sent from the golf club...

I don't want to say this too loud as im only 25, but id have one too. Have a soft spot for the new jags, they seem to be losing their fuddy duddy-ness :thumbs:

I may have to change the zorst though, I do like a bit of noise. Not too much yaaaaaaaaaaarp but just a little ;)

Edited by cs2000

I have just as much fun in the Jaaaaag as I did in the Zed, different kind of fun though of course. She is a big girl, 1.8t kerb weight, but bundles of torque and with 2 sequential turbos when you want instant power and use the paddles she is as quick off the mark as a standard Zed and I would say at speed in gear ie overtaking she is quicker :p

Yeah I used to love the noise and the low down seating position of the Zed but now I get to almost silently (inside & out) breeze past people at rediculous knots (legal of course) in absolute comfort with 500 watts pumping out through 17 speakers :band:

Does it compare to the Zed? In no posible way can you compare it other than it has 4 wheels and the power comes from the right 2 of them ;)

I don't want to say this too loud as im only 25, but id have one too. Have a soft spot for the new jags, they seem to be losing their fuddy duddy-ness :thumbs:

I may have to change the zorst though, I do like a bit of noise. Not too much yaaaaaaaaaaarp but just a little ;)

You can't get much yaaaaarp out of a derv but maybe next year I will trade up to the 5.0V8 :cloud9: 501bhp

And that really would whup some Zed ass :lol:

A friend has a xkr and it is immense. The torque the power the speed and the sound, the looks!

I don't think I could live with a diesel again though... Which is why they've insulated it so well, so you can't hear it! ;):p

Yeah I know what you mean, but I'm happy to have a peaceful time of it for now I do have a nice quad pipe exhaust so it makes a nice grumble but thats it :lol:

I do like the fact that it does 50% better than the Zed on fuel, helps pay for other hobbies now!

A friend has a xkr and it is immense. The torque the power the speed and the sound, the looks!

I don't think I could live with a diesel again though... Which is why they've insulated it so well, so you can't hear it! ;):p

Yeah I know what you mean, but I'm happy to have a peaceful time of it for now I do have a nice quad pipe exhaust so it makes a nice grumble but thats it :lol:

I do like the fact that it does 50% better than the Zed on fuel, helps pay for other hobbies now!

Got the local strip joint loyalty card topped up now have you Dave ;)

• Like 1

:lol: this place always has haters, every other forum think their cars could beat anything and the usual suspects on here slating it then saying but its ok because I like it,,,,, :lol:

Having an astra VXR means you need to explain to the girl whose pants you are trying to get into that its not a normal astra but infact a fast one.

I actually like it as I said I am surprised he beat it off the line earlier in this conversation but considering you can go onto autotrader and put in the 350z and 100 mile radius and only 5 or 6 for sale says it all. More kerb appeal ? ?

Someone also said the average hot hatch will destroy the 350z,,,, honestly,,,, sure it isn't a micra you own? ?

My mates have all the suspect hothatches. EP3, ST, VXR (old one) and focus RS. My engine is completely standard and not one of them would touch my car bar the RS. Off the line, rolling start, reversing or who's window goes up the fastest :lol:

It isn't the best car in the world and you can be realistic but that doesn't mean you need to take the ****.

And my old NIssan will get way more admiration than a new Vauxhall!

Remind me why your both on a old Nissan forum??

Just adding a voice of reason in a rose tinted thread.....

In many many ways an Astra VXR will be more fun to drive than a Zed and many would find it a better looking car too, mainly because it wasn't designed in the 90's..... none of that means a Zed is a bad car or everyone is stupid to own one.... if I could still drive one I would have another in a heartbeat :)

I think this thread has been anything but rose tinted, everyone has been more than fair with the speed of an Astra and if we cant admire 350z's for its kerb appeal on a 350z forum without "a voice of reason" i think thats very ironic.

If you or Ekona seriously think an Astra has more kerb appeal than a Zed, well.........

I honestly think it does have more appeal for a lot of people yes. It's undoubtably much better equiped, probably safer, just as quick, more practical, can take more than 1 passenger, cheaper to run etc etc

None of those things really apply though as it's a completely different beast so can't really be compared. A GT86 would be a better comparison really...

A few years back when I got my Zed I would say they were a cut above, real presence but nowadays there are for me too many chavved up examples around which are tainting the marque..... I would still have another if I could but it would be standard(ish) no stupid loud exhaust or slammed to the floor and huge bodykit....

Each to their own :)

Hey. Don't be down on body kits ;)

Edited by sipar69

Huge thread on the back of 'I raced a VXR'!

I looked back on some cars owned over the last few years and there are a few Vauxhalls, didn't even realise until I thought about it. I remember years back buying a Corsa 1.4 Sxi Tdi I think it was, I loved that car. It was plucky, fun, did about 60mpg or something daft and never let me down. Even when at 5am I put petrol in it it drove about 5 miles before I had that moment of 'recall' and pulled over, it never chugged once!

Then again I had a 1.8 SRi Astra on a 55 plate I think it was, thought baby was on the way (in the end it wasn't) and bought it as the sensible choice. An immaculate car but the most utterly soulless car I have ever experienced, utterly shocking interior, lifeless engine (and I now have a 1.8 Focus as the family run around which is miles better).

The VX220 was sensational. On a decent run circa 45 mpg. Put your foot down and it easily kept up with the Zeds on the A/B roads (as per the drive out in Kent last year - good work Daz!). What surprised me most about this car was not the handling (which they are famous for) but its ability to brake down from 60 to almost nothing in a fraction of the time of anything else on the road. A pure raw driving machine, if you ever get the chance to own one, go for it without hesitation. That said, the chassis built by Lotus effectively...so thats cheating to say its a Vauxhall.

Still have to say, the Zed is the one I miss the most! Its not really that fast in the grand scheme of things nowadays (and seriously its not worth boasting about racing in one) but it turned heads and has a real character about it. Enjoy.

• Like 1

:lol: this place always has haters, every other forum think their cars could beat anything and the usual suspects on here slating it then saying but its ok because I like it,,,,, :lol:

Having an astra VXR means you need to explain to the girl whose pants you are trying to get into that its not a normal astra but infact a fast one.

I actually like it as I said I am surprised he beat it off the line earlier in this conversation but considering you can go onto autotrader and put in the 350z and 100 mile radius and only 5 or 6 for sale says it all. More kerb appeal ? ?

Someone also said the average hot hatch will destroy the 350z,,,, honestly,,,, sure it isn't a micra you own? ?

My mates have all the suspect hothatches. EP3, ST, VXR (old one) and focus RS. My engine is completely standard and not one of them would touch my car bar the RS. Off the line, rolling start, reversing or who's window goes up the fastest :lol:

It isn't the best car in the world and you can be realistic but that doesn't mean you need to take the ****.

I got caught up with a new shape focus st with mountune stickers all over it the other day. Obviously had some sort of work done as the exhaust wasn't standard and it was giving the odd puff of black smoke when he was on wot. We had a bit of a play on some private roads. I was surprised at how quick it was out of roundabouts (2nd gear) but after that it was clear the zed had the legs on it. I don't no what power it was but the mountune must have meant something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mates have all the suspect hothatches. EP3, ST, VXR (old one) and focus RS. My engine is completely standard and not one of them would touch my car bar the RS.

Yep, that was me that said it. The RS is considerably quicker (I test drove one), the ST is pretty comparable (my brother has one, Ive done 500+ miles in it) and the EP3 and old VXR arent "current", obviously.

Moreover, having been on track recently with a few well driven 182's and theres very little in it. Introduce rain in any of these situations and the FWD is going to be showing you the way. You might struggle to believe its true, as I said earlier get out and drive a VXR or FRS and you'll realise what Im talking about.

I got caught up with a new shape focus st with mountune stickers all over it the other day. Obviously had some sort of work done as the exhaust wasn't standard and it was giving the odd puff of black smoke when he was on wot. We had a bit of a play on some private roads. I was surprised at how quick it was out of roundabouts (2nd gear) but after that it was clear the zed had the legs on it. I don't no what power it was but the mountune must have meant something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New ST is a really nice car as well and again would be very close to the Zed and with a decent tune very fast. I knew you could buy the mountune version of the fiesta zetec S and new ST but didn't know you could with the focus. I think you can drive fater in a FWD and not be a good driver which I think is the biggest appeal to own a hot hatch. I find out I am not a good driver more often in the Zed which is strangly the appeal I have for it :lol:

Having cast a glancing eye at some mk1 RS Focus's I remember seeing mountune, think its the equivalent of an Abbey map tune or the like.

A stage 1 is 260hp and 400nm, stage 2 is 290hp and 440nm, both from 2500 to 4K RPM, its an uprated intercooler and maybe injectors as well as a map.

My mates have all the suspect hothatches. EP3, ST, VXR (old one) and focus RS. My engine is completely standard and not one of them would touch my car bar the RS.

Yep, that was me that said it. The RS is considerably quicker (I test drove one), the ST is pretty comparable (my brother has one, Ive done 500+ miles in it) and the EP3 and old VXR arent "current", obviously.

Moreover, having been on track recently with a few well driven 182's and theres very little in it. Introduce rain in any of these situations and the FWD is going to be showing you the way. You might struggle to believe its true, as I said earlier get out and drive a VXR or FRS and you'll realise what Im talking about.

I wasn't saying the 350z was better than all hatchbacks just to say the average hot hatch is better is being a ridiculous. If you are talking about being on track I certainly wouldn't want to be in the VXR. Much rather be in the RWD Zed or the small clio but thats just my opinion on that.

You can't get much yaaaaarp out of a derv but maybe next year I will trade up to the 5.0V8 :cloud9: 501bhp

And that really would whup some Zed ass :lol:

Those Audi RS6's seem to make plenty of noise. Sounds like thunder when they disappear over the horizon at the speed of light, but then, something stilly like 540bhp twin turbo with Quattro.

As much as everyone quotes 0-60s (which I thought we banned on here!) I would like to quote Jez Clarksons quotes on anything Astra/Vectra VXR "Catastrophic Understeer!" Not sure if they have sorted that out yet?

Think the new one is supposed to be pretty good at handling as FWD goes. Jez was pretty impressed with the front diff in the new VXR.

Too easy to wind up some of you guys on here :stir:

I did more miles in my Zed than probably most of you lot put together.... hated every single one of them, regretted buying such a heavy, slow, souless heap of junk :cry:

So glad I have something else now so I can stay on here and wind everyone up :p

• Like 5

As much as everyone quotes 0-60s (which I thought we banned on here!) I would like to quote Jez Clarksons quotes on anything Astra/Vectra VXR "Catastrophic Understeer!" Not sure if they have sorted that out yet?

This is very true in the old one but they've sorted it all out in the brand new one that I was playing against. . . .

New Diff or something. . . .

I did more miles in my Zed than probably most of you lot put together.... hated every single one of them, regretted buying such a heavy, slow, souless heap of junk :cry:

You hated the ones in Wales by far the most

Oi, you trying to take my job on the forum! :lol:

• Like 1