Astra VXR surprised the hell out of my!!

Easty

Why are you guys still comparing a brand new hatchback with a 10 year old coupe :headhurt:

Sent from the golf club...

Congratulations on finding possibly the dullest photo of a 350 you could :thumbs:

I will grant you, the Astra looks good (if you like that kind of thing) and the interior is very nice, but as you say, so it should for being 10 years newer and do you honestly need to ask the question why are we still comparing, not that we are retrospectively, we are just saying we would prefer a 350 which you seem to struggle with on a forum dedicated to 350's, why is that so surprising for you?

And trust me, with £30k burning a hole in my pocket i would be all over a 2nd hand GTR for a few more irrelevant grand, shall we discuss which one of those is faster, has the better interior, looks etc etc

Why are you guys still comparing a brand new hatchback with a 10 year old coupe :headhurt:

Congratulations on finding possibly the dullest photo of a 350 you could :thumbs:

I will grant you, the Astra looks good (if you like that kind of thing) and the interior is very nice, but as you say, so it should for being 10 years newer and do you honestly need to ask the question why are we still comparing, not that we are retrospectively, we are just saying we would prefer a 350 which you seem to struggle with on a forum dedicated to 350's, why is that so surprising for you?

And trust me, with £30k burning a hole in my pocket i would be all over a 2nd hand GTR for a few more irrelevant grand, shall we discuss which one of those is faster, has the better interior, looks etc etc

As I said earlier just trying to add a voice of reason and impartiality ;)

Did I find a dull Datsun and a shiny Vauxhall.... how strange :shrug:

As I said earlier just trying to add a voice of reason and impartiality ;)

Did I find a dull Datsun and a shiny Vauxhall.... how strange :shrug:

As i said before, very strange you should wish to do this on a 350z forum, if your really that bored you could go defend the 350z on the vxr forum for a voice of reason or impartiality ;)

I was waiting for the good old "Datsun" name to come up as a term of offence :yawn:

Ok I am rightly chastised, the glorious Zed is not worthy of comparison to any other motor vehicle, it is on a pedestal so high it touches the clouds and it mocks all lesser vehicles.....

So much for impartiality.

I shall in future avoid posts that have a title that doesn't even make sense...

My what exactly :shrug:

Oh and Datsun is a term of endearment not offense, same as calling a Porsche a beetle or a Jag a wafter or an old mans car.... you really do have a sarcasm bypass system don't you :lol:

• Like 2

Does make me laugh why anyone would spend £30k on a hatchback...

Why not? It's fast, good looking, practical, probably quite economical (not checked) pretty nice interior & well equiped.

Don't expect they will sell many though :lol:

Yeah I have nothing against them really but for that money you can get something so much better second hand. I mean, Evo X were £32k brand new when they came out, I know what I would prefer!

Why not? It's fast, good looking, practical, probably quite economical (not checked) pretty nice interior & well equiped.

Yeah I have nothing against them really but for that money you can get something so much better second hand. I mean, Evo X were £32k brand new when they came out, I know what I would prefer!

Bit of a moot point as of course you can get better 2nd hand, who for example would buy a brand new 370z Nismo over a better 2nd hand car :shrug: I think the answer is plenty as they like new shiny things rather than 2nd hand ;)

• Like 1

Bit of a moot point as of course you can get better 2nd hand, who for example would buy a brand new 370z Nismo over a better 2nd hand car :shrug: I think the answer is plenty as they like new shiny things rather than 2nd hand ;)

Yeah I guess you are right! I have never really been into brand new cars because the depreciation would hurt me too much but then again if I had the money....

Yeah I guess you are right! I have never really been into brand new cars because the depreciation would hurt me too much but then again if I had the money....

ypuhyraq.jpg

Ok I am rightly chastised, the glorious Zed is not worthy of comparison to any other motor vehicle, it is on a pedestal so high it touches the clouds and it mocks all lesser vehicles.....

Oh and Datsun is a term of endearment not offense, same as calling a Porsche a beetle or a Jag a wafter or an old mans car.... you really do have a sarcasm bypass system don't you :lol:

I think everyone has been quite honest about the Zeds shortcomings in all fairness, still doesnt mean we want an Astra, but you struggle with that :wacko:

I think everyone has been quite honest about the Zeds shortcomings in all fairness, still doesnt mean we want an Astra, but you struggle with that :wacko:

4y8apu3y.jpg

Errr just to be clear 'shiny newness' wasn't a factor for me. Believe it or not some have bought Nismos because we like em.

Take the GTR as an example. I like them too and there's no denying it's objectively a better car than the 370z Nismo in performance terms, but other factors were part of my buying decision:

- I could have stretched to a GTR but I'd have been buying one of the older ones which are not (unless they've been significantly upgraded) as good as the 2011+ variants. That's not about it being older per se, it's about what you'd get for your money (and even older GTRs are generally significantly more expensive with the odd exception that I'd probably be quite wary of)

- I prefer a manual transmission

- Servicing costs

- Personally I prefer the Zs looks

- Size - decided I didn't want something quite so big!

Bit risky thinking you know how all of us think and make decisions. You might be wrong! ;)

Edited by sipar69

Just for reference, SMD loves 350z's and given what I know would never take an Astra in its place ;) he is also a sarcastic sod which is part of what endears most of us to him!

I have been on quite a few car forums now, but I keep coming back here, why? Partly because there are enough guys on here to be impartial because they truely loved the zed they owned but have moved on and experienced many other cars. I think its a credit to this site that we can be more objective about other cars...just nip over to an Astra forum and see them ranting on about how their 1.7 diesel which has been remapped now has 'superb' performance and can beat anything on the road, and EVERYONE agreeing with them. I don't think I would want to be a part of that.

I think your looking at it from the wrong angle, you just BEAT yes that's right you won, against a 30k brand new hot hatch.

You achieved that with an overweight 10 year old Nissan.

If it's really that upsetting think how upset you would be if a lined up next to a shitty 20+ year old Sierra, and shortly after you had had your arse handed to you noticed it had cosworth on the back of it.

There will always be something faster, there will always be something that handles better. Just be thankful you didn't pay £30-50k to still have that problem.

• Like 1

Just for reference, SMD loves 350z's and given what I know would never take an Astra in its place ;) he is also a sarcastic sod which is part of what endears most of us to him!

I have been on quite a few car forums now, but I keep coming back here, why? Partly because there are enough guys on here to be impartial because they truely loved the zed they owned but have moved on and experienced many other cars. I think its a credit to this site that we can be more objective about other cars...just nip over to an Astra forum and see them ranting on about how their 1.7 diesel which has been remapped now has 'superb' performance and can beat anything on the road, and EVERYONE agreeing with them. I don't think I would want to be a part of that.

:winkiss:

If anybody could be bothered to read they would have seen my comments earlier, I HAD to sell my Zed For health reasons, needed an Auto and something more comfortable otherwise I would have driven my Zed till it fell apart, probably somewhere on the A14 just outside Chirk :lol:

Trying to persuade Mary to get a 370z, she wants a Z4 and despite my complete feeling of 'meh' for the 370 I would rather have one of those than a Z4 in a heartbeat..... but only because she can't afford a Cayman :(

Edited by spursmaddave