Astra VXR surprised the hell out of my!!

Easty

So when is the best time to remap? Oh that's right, once all the mods are on. I'm obviously not quite ready yet. I'll get it dyno'd mate, just not for any naively anticipated power gains thats all.

I am well aware of the other advantages/necessity for it. As you can see my modifications mainly focus on suspension and brake improvements. The engine oriented ones were already on the car. If I wanted ultimate power I'd have bought an R32 GTR instead and remapped that.

Gained an extra 2mpg did you? Well done. That was definitely £400 quid well spent mate. Nice one. I lost 2mpg when I changed from Avons to Falkens, so you're actually 4mpg better off than me. Blimey, how stupid do I feel now, eh? :surrender:

• Like 1

Your shopping list is much improved now, thanks for changing it. :thumbs:

I genuinely mean that as well matey, massive long sigs and tiny posts are an internet peeve of mine! :lol:

Yeah, absolutely. There's nowhere to put it in your profile, so it's signature or not at all - and wheres the fun in that? I've been changing it lately to try and get it right. It looked longer that it was due to the line spacing. Sorted now anyways. :sorry:

If you want a great, cheap performance mod, you can't go wrong with the £120 D1 Spec throttle controller. 9 increasingly aggressive throttle response settings, that unlike a remap (meh to remapping a zed), you will notice. big time. And before the remapper brigade jump on me, I'll say it again "£120".

Was going to leave this, but seeing as you seem to have a bit of a chip ......... a throttle controller makes absolutely no different to the performance of the car, a remap will make a very noticeable difference, youre comparing apples and screwdrivers. Id fancy my chances against any 300lb/ft WRX as well, tracktime has seen that the 350 is actually pretty rapid considering its power to weight.

• Like 2

So when is the best time to remap? Oh that's right, once all the mods are on. I'm obviously not quite ready yet. I'll get it dyno'd mate, just not for any naively anticipated power gains thats all.

I am well aware of the other advantages/necessity for it. As you can see my modifications mainly focus on suspension and brake improvements. The engine oriented ones were already on the car. If I wanted ultimate power I'd have bought an R32 GTR instead and remapped that.

Gained an extra 2mpg did you? Well done. That was definitely £400 quid well spent mate. Nice one. I lost 2mpg when I changed from Avons to Falkens, so you're actually 4mpg better off than me. Blimey, how stupid do I feel now, eh? :surrender:

Haha yeah went from 24 to 26mpg. I worked out the cost doing 12k a year. Obviously its not exact but I told the Mrs it would pay for itself ;)

^^^^^

Is that Miley Cyrus ??

Yep 'cute little' Miley smoking pot!

I wouldn't save £200 a year on fuel with 2mpg extra. If you drive 1000 miles a month, maybe, but I drive much much less than that.

Still getting an uprev when the time comes though :thumbs:

Good man, its well worth it.

The throttle controllers are they easy to fit and do they really make I difference??

They are the best money I've thrown at my car my friend, and I personally, wouldn't dream of not having one on a zed. Fitting wise, yes, they are easy. The only thing to look out for is the weird looking plugs on the throttle cable that you have to connect together in what looks like an "upside down" fashion. This is so you can thread a zip tie all the way around to keep it all together. There's a little setup procedure you have to do to calibrate the pedal, and worst cast scenario, you need to do an ecu reset to get rid of the check engine light that comes on if the ecu logs a throttle sensor error (usually as a result of plugging and unplugging the throttle plugs before realising they go together "upside down" as I mentioned. No biggy tho. google is your friend re: ecu reset if necessary. I'd recommend unplugging the negative on your battery and waiting an hour before you start. It is easy though. Jez at Horsham is where I obtained mine.

I binned mine, as pretty much it's only effective on the highest and lowest (sport and eco) modes. Eco just made the car feel rubbish, and sport made it too twitchy. Just put your foot down a bit slower or quicker to achieve the same effect.

It's a nice gimmick, but really Nissan did a great job with their accelerator calibration. Much better than Porsche did on theirs, but that's another story.

Haha yeah went from 24 to 26mpg. I worked out the cost doing 12k a year. Obviously its not exact but I told the Mrs it would pay for itself ;)

As long as it worked on the missus mate. Nice choice of rims too. I went for the matte bronze on my grey car. Had the get the rear arches rolled mind, to fit the 19x10.5 rears. The tyres were catching on the inside edge of the lip on big hits. I only run 1 degree negative camber on the rear to increase the contact patch for road use and improve tyre wear. At least I'm not running around with spacers, wondering if my wheels are gonna fall off today or not though. :D

I binned mine, as pretty much it's only effective on the highest and lowest (sport and eco) modes. Eco just made the car feel rubbish, and sport made it too twitchy. Just put your foot down a bit slower or quicker to achieve the same effect.

It's a nice gimmick, but really Nissan did a great job with their accelerator calibration. Much better than Porsche did on theirs, but that's another story.

Really? Thats interesting cos my car really came alive on SP4 and it just keeps getting more and more mental from there up. it's much easier to initiate 2nd gear drifts on sp4 too. I have the version 2. Maybe that makes a difference. Put it this way, there's no way I'd bin mine. You can still remap with them on. There's a bypass mode I guess they use, or else they just leave the throttle response standard and leave it to you to adjust on the controller? Jez would be able to answer that, I don't know for sure.

I don't know why its called a 7-Drive, when there's 5 eco modes and 9 sport modes? LOL

Edited by cyberfella

The throttle controllers are they easy to fit and do they really make I difference??

Yes

Plug into OBD, plug into throttle actuator

No

waste of time, total placebo effect. Makes no difference in 0-60, the eco mode saves absolutely NO fuel and the sportiest sport mode just makes the car hugely jerky, slightest touch on the throttle and the car shoots forward. It does "feel" faster, but it isn't.

Edited by cs2000
  • Like 1

Yep, same here - liked it to start with (mainly as the induction noice was great at low revs) but recent track work has shown me youre better off with an entirely foot manipulated throttle, particularly in the wet.

it's much easier to initiate 2nd gear drifts on sp4 too.

You can still remap with them on.

ROFL, you can initiate easier without one at all as you have greater throttle control. As for the remap, you can change the throttle sensitivity when you have it mapped, why do you need an external dooberry to do that? :lol:

As long as it worked on the missus mate. Nice choice of rims too. I went for the matte bronze on my grey car. Had the get the rear arches rolled mind, to fit the 19x10.5 rears. The tyres were catching on the inside edge of the lip on big hits. I only run 1 degree negative camber on the rear to increase the contact patch for road use and improve tyre wear. At least I'm not running around with spacers, wondering if my wheels are gonna fall off today or not though. :D

Running Tein springs on mine so not massively low and its quite close but doesn't catch with 1.5 degree's all round,

If you want a great, cheap performance mod, you can't go wrong with the £120 D1 Spec throttle controller. 9 increasingly aggressive throttle response settings, that unlike a remap (meh to remapping a zed), you will notice. big time. And before the remapper brigade jump on me, I'll say it again "£120".

Was going to leave this, but seeing as you seem to have a bit of a chip ......... a throttle controller makes absolutely no different to the performance of the car, a remap will make a very noticeable difference, youre comparing apples and screwdrivers. Id fancy my chances against any 300lb/ft WRX as well, tracktime has seen that the 350 is actually pretty rapid considering its power to weight.

You're absolutely right - throttle controllers make no difference to top end power, and that is felt as the revs near the red line. All they do is open the throttle body faster relative to how much you're pressed the pedal down. It makes the car accelerate more aggressively with the same amount of pedal input - a characteristic I found most welcome. I think they also allow wide open throttle in the first 3 gears - something also promised by the uprev remap, but I'm willing to be wrong on that one.

I think there's been a slight misunderstanding. I wasn't (in my mind anyway) comparing a remap to a throttle controller in terms of function or outcomes, rather just comparing the amount of fun to be had out of money spent. For me, the 7-step throttle controller was money very well spent. I also said I will remap the car once my mods are done. As you will see, I have a milltek on the car but no cat upgrade yet, hence have not remapped it. I also use the car more in the longer days than in the winter when the air is warmer - another reason for my waiting to remap it.

At the end of the day, the choice is down to the consumer. I'm not selling anything here. Just offering my personal experiences with the controller.

Accusing me of having a chip was a nice touch - I particularly enjoyed that. Good luck with going up against a 1240kg 300ft/lb 4wd WRX, you'll need it. I don't need convincing of a 350Z's performance merits. Lets not forget "we're on the same side". I bought one based upon my fondness of nissan rwd vehicles, the relative mechanical simplicity to turbo charged silvias and skylines, and the gear ratios. That said, with the ride height and wheel fitment sorted, it ain't a bad looker either.

• Like 1

Off the line it should have had you,,, guy obv shifting like his granny ;)

No chance on a wet day with front wheel drive. Dry day will be close but zed will pump it. My mate has one mapped by dastek and I'm still faster without the nos.

280ps vxr 0.62 is 5.6. As i said of the line it should have the edge, rolling am not so sure.

Ahh i'm forgetting you guys have the older slower zed :p The 300ps is 5.6 standard

How o

How old is yours Neilp?

Edited by 4RE Leather

Running Tein springs on mine so not massively low and its quite close but doesn't catch with 1.5 degree's all round,

Yeah, you're running an extra half a degree - that'll be enough to miss the arch lip, sweet. The front ones are rolled up as standard. Shame they didn't do the rears in the factory too really.

I brought the alignment back in to factory ranges with adjustable camber arms and had wheels galore near CS do the alignment to my specs designed by repeated virtual tuning on gran turismo 5. I later had bilstein B8's fitted to compliment the Eibach Pro Kit springs already on it. Adding the dampers to the springs made a fantastic difference. I hit up CS for the parts and the work done on my car. They're a great garage. We put the Eibach ARB's on too, which are also great but be aware that the standard drop links will start creaking so if you upgrade dampers and arb's, you'd probably need drop links too, plus a couple poly bushes here and there potentially. I'd recommend it though, and CS very highly. I won't take my car anywhere else. The mechanic Andy has 3 rotaries (my favourite cars of all). If he's that much of a glutton for punishment, he can work on my car any day.

ROFL, you can initiate easier without one at all as you have greater throttle control. As for the remap, you can change the throttle sensitivity when you have it mapped, why do you need an external dooberry to do that? :lol:

You don't need it if you've had a remap, or if you don't want to be able to dial in the throttle response to suit you. But me, personally, having gone an extra couple of inches wider on the rear tyres, appreciate the ability to tweak the throttle opening up a bit. Why do Abbey, Horsham, uprev tuners on the whole bother to pepp up the throttle response during the uprev remap if it's a totally worthless placebo?

You don't need it if you've had a remap, or if you don't want to be able to dial in the throttle response to suit you. But me, personally, having gone an extra couple of inches wider on the rear tyres, appreciate the ability to tweak the throttle opening up a bit. Why do Abbey, Horsham, uprev tuners on the whole bother to pepp up the throttle response during the uprev remap if it's a totally worthless placebo?

Couple of inches, mmmm:

20120913_093852_zps83f9ecf9.jpg

Thats an 11.5J ET -10 wheel on the back there, and the tyres last on average about 1500 miles at the moment, throttle controller not required ;)

Fair play to you though, each to their own but like I say, it reduces throttle control which can only be a bad thing as far as Im concerned - the point of a remap is that it can be adjusted to suit what youre after, and I wouldnt be after a more savage throttle myself after rocking the controller for a while :)

• Like 2

I have a throttle controller too, I love it. Mines permanently set to eco7 and sport9.

I set it to eco7 and got 27.7mpg, on the return journey I got 22.4 in normal mode. The return journey was immediate to test the thing. No one is gonna tell me it doesn't work.

As for less control? How? It's still your foot.

I'm yet to test 0-60 on various settings, but the difference will be very minimal and only affected by how fast you can give it WOT.

It's a butt dunno thing, that's all, and it does exactly what it says on the tin. It doesn't remove the 1-3 gear restriction however, only uprev can do that :thumbs:

• Like 1

Off the line it should have had you,,, guy obv shifting like his granny ;)

No chance on a wet day with front wheel drive. Dry day will be close but zed will pump it. My mate has one mapped by dastek and I'm still faster without the nos.

280ps vxr 0.62 is 5.6. As i said of the line it should have the edge, rolling am not so sure.

Ahh i'm forgetting you guys have the older slower zed :p The 300ps is 5.6 standard

How o

How old is yours Neilp?

mines is a 2006 revup. No where near standard and running nos also mate Edited by Neilp

Couple of inches, mmmm:

20120913_093852_zps83f9ecf9.jpg

Thats an 11.5J ET -10 wheel on the back there, and the tyres last on average about 1500 miles at the moment, throttle controller not required ;)

Fair play to you though, each to their own but like I say, it reduces throttle control which can only be a bad thing as far as Im concerned - the point of a remap is that it can be adjusted to suit what youre after, and I wouldnt be after a more savage throttle myself after rocking the controller for a while :)

Dem Arches. Dat Lip. Daaaamn boy! :teeth:

• Like 1

You're absolutely right - throttle controllers make no difference to top end power, and that is felt as the revs near the red line. All they do is open the throttle body faster relative to how much you're pressed the pedal down. It makes the car accelerate more aggressively with the same amount of pedal input - a characteristic I found most welcome.

I've heard a few diesel cars do a similar thing as standard to make them feel faster (asking more from the engine for a given accelerator position) to make them feel quicker.

I'm not sure how true this is though