Astra VXR surprised the hell out of my!!

Easty

And my old NIssan will get way more admiration than a new Vauxhall!

Remind me why your both on a old Nissan forum??

Just adding a voice of reason in a rose tinted thread.....

In many many ways an Astra VXR will be more fun to drive than a Zed and many would find it a better looking car too, mainly because it wasn't designed in the 90's..... none of that means a Zed is a bad car or everyone is stupid to own one.... if I could still drive one I would have another in a heartbeat :)

Sent from the golf club...

In many many ways an Astra VXR will be more fun to drive than a Zed and many would find it a better looking car too, mainly because it wasn't designed in the 90's..... none of that means a Zed is a bad car or everyone is stupid to own one.... if I could still drive one I would have another in a heartbeat :)

I think this thread has been anything but rose tinted, everyone has been more than fair with the speed of an Astra and if we cant admire 350z's for its kerb appeal on a 350z forum without "a voice of reason" i think thats very ironic.

If you or Ekona seriously think an Astra has more kerb appeal than a Zed, well.........

ROFL @Ekona & Dave!

I do agree with you both! I did feel like the other guys though 5 years ago when I bought mine at the minuscule age of 21. Back then though these cars were still expensive. Now they're in the lower price bracket and getting into the hands of yoofs I'm starting to think like u guys

I think this thread has been anything but rose tinted, everyone has been more than fair with the speed of an Astra and if we cant admire 350z's for its kerb appeal on a 350z forum without "a voice of reason" i think thats very ironic.

If you or Ekona seriously think an Astra has more kerb appeal than a Zed, well.........

I honestly think it does have more appeal for a lot of people yes. It's undoubtably much better equiped, probably safer, just as quick, more practical, can take more than 1 passenger, cheaper to run etc etc

None of those things really apply though as it's a completely different beast so can't really be compared. A GT86 would be a better comparison really...

A few years back when I got my Zed I would say they were a cut above, real presence but nowadays there are for me too many chavved up examples around which are tainting the marque..... I would still have another if I could but it would be standard(ish) no stupid loud exhaust or slammed to the floor and huge bodykit....

Each to their own :)

Edited by spursmaddave

My what on an old Nissan forum? ;) I'm here because I have friends here, what's your excuse? :p

I don't care what others think about my car, so admiration is irrelevant to me. I didn't say that an Astra would get more attention than a Zed, nor did I say it was better, nor did I say I wanted one. What I did say is that Vauxhall is by no means a 'worse' brand than Nissan, and anyone who thinks otherwise needs a sanity check. A new Astra VXR will be quicker on general roads than a Zed would, but then so it should be: It's a much newer car that weighs less and has the same power, with a turbo on it. I still wouldn't want one, but that's by the by.

For some people it will be their dream car, or at least their realistic dream car. I don't get the animosity to it, I really don't.

If your dream car is a 12 year old Nissan, is that not setting your sights equally as low? :shrug:

• Like 2

Not sure why you'd bother comparing (as spursmaddave pointed out) a car designed in the 90s with a car fresh out the lot in 2013. It's going to be leaps and bounds ahead of the zed, that's just the way the technology/power arms race is going these days.

It's like getting upset when your 1980s Ferrari 308 gets diced by an EP3 Civic Type R, just enjoy your car for what it is.

Edited by mouthwash

For me this forum > the car ever was

I know many friends on here that still own Zeds mainly because of this forum, I even considered an auto 370 even though I really don't like the styling or the driving experience, just because it kept me in the 'in crowd'

Me & my missus have got the convertible bug, she wants to upgrade the MX-5 to a Z4, I want a 370 ragtop despite all the above :lol:

• Like 1

Your realistic dream car is in the price range, a 350z was mine. Even though i would have bought a vxr, st etc, i wanted the zed more than any car. Most peoples dream car which they can afford, probably wouldnt buy it because of mpg, or the fact it has 2seats or something like that.

What im getting at really is... When you look at a vauxhall astra, theres very little difference between the 1.6 diesel and a VXR, i always have to look for a badge or the exhaust tips to know if its a vxr. So when someone would say "vxr is my dream car"... its basically, i want an astra with a cool exhaust. Because the performance isnt the only selling point for a dream car. No doubt in a couple of years, i will be the guy buying the vxr, because ill have kids by then and itll give me 5seats.

Im not slating the vxr, im just saying alot are dissing the 350z, yes its an old farty car now, but a new vxr only has the "new car" kerb appeal. In my opinion.

• Like 3

For some people it will be their dream car, or at least their realistic dream car. I don't get the animosity to it, I really don't.

If your dream car is a 12 year old Nissan, is that not setting your sights equally as low? :shrug:

Exactly...

I will be honest I felt kind of the same about the non Zed owning hangerounders on here when I still had mine, but when you sell up and hang around you do tend to see things a bit clearer and some posts kind of jump out at you, especially when they are based on nothing more than I have a Zed and nothing else on the road is as cool/fast/loud/exciting (delete as applicable)

• Like 1

Exactly...

I will be honest I felt kind of the same about the non Zed owning hangerounders on here when I still had mine, but when you sell up and hang around you do tend to see things a bit clearer and some posts kind of jump out at you, especially when they are based on nothing more than I have a Zed and nothing else on the road is as cool/fast/loud/exciting (delete as applicable)

I dont think most people think like that. I see plenty of cars that i'd want more than a zed, audi a5, new audi a4, and most people i hang around with have a faster car than my zed. But, talking in the kerb appeal sense, a5 a4 etc are just normal cars. There isnt anything special. And i think the same goes for the VXR. Even your s4 and s5 (and they are better all round than the zed), still dont have too much special. They are still a normal car that had a big engine put in. I would say the RS are different as its a completely different car. But this thread seemed to go towards, the vxr is a better all round car and more kerb appeal than the zed. If you put them both next to one another, i would say more people would look at the zed and mention something. Its like having an old 911, yes an old school 911 is alot diff to a 350z, but thats the only comparison i can think of. It just stands out.

The best judges of how desirable a car is are young kids. They have no idea about badges or handling or anything like that, they just say what's cool.

That said, please don't start hanging around outside a school at 3pm trying to get their opinions on your car ;)

• Like 1

The best judges of how desirable a car is are young kids. They have no idea about badges or handling or anything like that, they just say what's cool.

That said, please don't start hanging around outside a school at 3pm trying to get their opinions on your car ;)

haha, well when the zed was green all young kids loved it. now its silver.... no1 looks, so i think they just like big neon colours ^^

Exactly...

I dont think most people think like that. I see plenty of cars that i'd want more than a zed, audi a5, new audi a4, and most people i hang around with have a faster car than my zed. But, talking in the kerb appeal sense, a5 a4 etc are just normal cars. There isnt anything special. And i think the same goes for the VXR. Even your s4 and s5 (and they are better all round than the zed), still dont have too much special. They are still a normal car that had a big engine put in. I would say the RS are different as its a completely different car. But this thread seemed to go towards, the vxr is a better all round car and more kerb appeal than the zed. If you put them both next to one another, i would say more people would look at the zed and mention something. Its like having an old 911, yes an old school 911 is alot diff to a 350z, but thats the only comparison i can think of. It just stands out.

Completely agree with that mostly, I think 99% of 'petrol heads' will know the 350/370 and know what a great car it is, and I didn't say majority just odd post that jump out ;)

I dont think anyone said the VXR was an all round better car for a Zed owner but for the vast majority or drivers it may well be, being popular doesn't equal being good look at 1D :lol:

Anyway I am off for a drive in my Jaaaaaag which is undoubtable far more superior in many ways than some 10 year old Nissan :p

Modern hot hatches are packing in the region of 250 horses, coupled with lower weigh, boost and easy tunes it's no wonder that they can keep up with the Zed.

The Zed is old tech now and I doubt many people are achieving sub 6 seconds to 60. Forget the willy waving as Large capacity, NA V6 with rwd and manual transmission are a thing of the past, we're in a world of 4 pot turbos and rep mobiles. Enjoy the Zed for its limitations and strengths.

• Like 1

No thats your job :lol:

Makes me smile

Since buying my Z, a lot of my childrens mates keep telling me how they would woop my arse in the vtrsaxo/corsa with 12 inch dia exhaust, I however keep telling them I bought the Z for its looks, sound and torquey v6 engine, not to race folks, after all I'm a old ****er

Anyway, one challenged me to a race which I gladly accepted, time and place to suit me, looking forward to seeing his face when I turm up on 750 kwak :lol:

Rob

• Like 1

My what on an old Nissan forum? ;) I'm here because I have friends here, what's your excuse? :p

I don't care what others think about my car, so admiration is irrelevant to me. I didn't say that an Astra would get more attention than a Zed, nor did I say it was better, nor did I say I wanted one. What I did say is that Vauxhall is by no means a 'worse' brand than Nissan, and anyone who thinks otherwise needs a sanity check. A new Astra VXR will be quicker on general roads than a Zed would, but then so it should be: It's a much newer car that weighs less and has the same power, with a turbo on it. I still wouldn't want one, but that's by the by.

I am here to share my enthusiasm of owning a 350z with other 350z owners, kind of what forum about 350&370z's is all about imho, if i make some friends along the way, which i have, bonus! Also for the resources and knowledge and help, which has been fantastic.

You actually said nothing about Vauxhall's, brand or otherwise you just agreed with Mr Spurs that "oh look its an old Nissan", which factually is correct, but it will still have better kerb appeal.

I didnt buy my 350z for its kerb appeal, it ticked the majority of boxes of what i want from a car, in fact, i was more than surprised with the attention it gets and thats in an area where exotica is common place.

Nissan vs Vauxhall as a brand, seriously Ekona, i would imagine Vauxhall would give their right arm to have the motorsport heritage and cult following of certain models that Nissan do. Its only in recent years Vauxhall have become far more credible in what they have to offer and build quality! ;)

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 2