My 911 (996 Carrera 4) - (Now Sold - pg 7)

marzman

Nice Chris,

I had the Porsche itch a while back, was very close to getting a C4S 996..

Nice cars bud, enjoy

Me too Chris ... went to buy a C4 997 three years ago and came back with the Aston

... also went for a ride in an early C2 997 a couple of weeks ago ... I even got Dan to check it out ... unfortunately the wife said no cos it was 'uncomfortable'

... I wish I'd overruled lol

Nice Chris,

I had the Porsche itch a while back, was very close to getting a C4S 996..

Nice cars bud, enjoy

... unfortunately the wife said no cos it was 'uncomfortable'

... I wish I'd overruled lol

:lol: thats what my missus said about the zed :surrender: - I think its one of the most comfortable cars I've ever had - still, there's a plus side - she's never driven it since she curbed it - read into that what you will ;)

^^ Who the hecks Pele? :lol:

I like Porsches btw ~ just can't afford one yet so bought the Japanese version by Nissan. ;):D

not strictly true mate, 924,944,boxster's are all cheap, you can get some 911's for 8k

it's like saying i cant afford a nissan because you want a gtr

marzman look into an exhaust bypass, costs approx £80 and emulates a pse (but isnt switchable like a pse), it sounds awesome !! B)

I had a pse on mine but at the same time two of my brother's had 911's and they had this done at a place in shipley and it sounded just as good, best mod possible

Sorry for the slow replies... im working my ass off at the moment doing 15 hour days on a huge project at work.

Well i'm all set and will be collecting the car shortly after 9am tomorrow morning. Cant wait. I'm not as excited as i have been with most other car purchases, as i'd say i'm quite nervous about things (having not had an inspection and knowing what can go wrong, i guess) but hopefully i'll be grinning soon enough. :teeth:

Tonight i've had a little play in photoshop adjusting the wheel colour. It's got 18" rims on it which have a very slight lip, so i've done a mockup to see how they'd look with dark centres. What do you think? I'm tempted to do this.

media_zps85334709.jpg

:lol: Ha ha just as I posted. Congrats!! Really pleased for you, I know you work hard so glad you are treating yourself. When are you bringing it round?

Whenever you're ready! I'll be looking for excuses to take it out anytime!

Very nice Chris, any idea how much they cost when new?

Pete

Cheers Pete. Not certain on the cost but from the little bit of info i could find i think around £68k? I could be way off the mark though so not sure.

marzman look into an exhaust bypass, costs approx £80 and emulates a pse (but isnt switchable like a pse), it sounds awesome !! B)

I had a pse on mine but at the same time two of my brother's had 911's and they had this done at a place in shipley and it sounded just as good, best mod possible

Cool i'll look into it, cheers.

Just hearing it last week it sounded monstrous so i'll see how long it takes me to get bored. :lol:

Edited by marzman

I put 15mm spacers all round on mine, and h&r springs lowered by 30mm, made a big improvement in the stance and the h&r were just as comfortable as the oem springs

And changed the caliper colour to red, iirc yours is a c4 ? Which will be black calipers

Food for thought :thumbs:

Edited by GIXXERUK

Tonight i've had a little play in photoshop adjusting the wheel colour. It's got 18" rims on it which have a very slight lip, so i've done a mockup to see how they'd look with dark centres. What do you think? I'm tempted to do this.

Same colour combo as my wheels:

1.jpg

I think that would suit yours nicely mate.

Same colour combo as my wheels:

1.jpg

I think that would suit yours nicely mate.

that does look sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Update...

So i finally picked up the Porsche on Saturday morning, and spent the whole day in the car!

So far what can i say? Firstly - Wow. This car is insanely fast. On paper it has a 5.0 seconds 0-60 time, but it feels in a completely different league to the zed. This may be down to the power delivery which is unusual... it feels like 2 different cars!

0-4k revs and it could be a Mondeo; It's easy to drive, ordinary, nothing special. But as soon as you go past 4k it feels like a hyper car! Holy sh!t it's fast, and within an instant you're traveling at license-losing speeds, it's scary quick! It has clearly been designed to cater for it's target market... it can be an ordinary car for your 50 year old business man, or it can be a true supercar when you want to push on.

The handling is going to take little getting used to. The car feels planted... so much more than the Zed ever did. I guess that's the 4 wheel drive doing it's job, but i've never been able to push on in bad weather in any of my previous cars as i have so far in this. It's fantastic. However one thing that is going to take some serious getting used to is the light front end... with the engine over the rear wheels, the front tends to go light when going over bumps round a bend :scare: . It's going to take some getting used to to come to terms with how that feels!

In terms of image... it's a bit of a change from the norm so far. Firstly the guys... i have a good bunch of workmates and we all hang out socially etc and are all interested in cars - however with the exception of 1 or 2, not a single person has had anything positive to say about it! The majority have simply said 'oh, right' when they've heard what i've bought. I don't want to sound like a tw@t and say that they're jealous, but when any of them get a new car like an A4 or a bloody mini, everyone talks about it for ages, but nobody's interested in my car :dummy:

Secondly, the girls. Again i dont want to sound like a dick :lol: but within the space of 2 hours on saturday morning i'd had 3 girls trying to check me out, either pedestrians or other motorists. Like properly giving me the eye and a smile :shrug: . Normally it's guys that look at my cars!

Anyway, i'm happy so far. I'll be happier when my Range sells as i'm going to pick up an old C Class Diesel as a cheap run about.

For now though, here's a couple more pics, and a video of my brother doing a drive by (which looks and sounds crap for some reason!)

th_E82D61CD-A352-4200-B7FA-9B0F028ECE8D-3479-0000084292673FAB_zps5394cba0.jpg

0B2F6105-2458-4D76-BB6A-77242F3969EA-3479-000008420FA7E91F_zps5fc71614.jpg

325CF21B-D19D-4D62-9E71-A3B4A0959AF6-3479-00000842065968C3_zps47723170.jpg

A50E0522-C76C-4B18-B6D4-F45F25E221E0-3479-00000841FB0DE6AA_zpse8b08f54.jpg

841F8EA1-696A-478E-AECB-228500C745A1-3479-0000084200CFF73D_zpsa3fa3b59.jpg

• Like 1

Secondly, the girls. Again i dont want to sound like a dick :lol: but within the space of 2 hours on saturday morning i'd had 3 girls trying to check me out, either pedestrians or other motorists. Like properly giving me the eye and a smile :shrug: . Normally it's guys that look at my cars!

Yea I know what you mean, I get the same in my Jeep :lol:

Firstly the guys... i have a good bunch of workmates and we all hang out socially etc and are all interested in cars - however with the exception of 1 or 2, not a single person has had anything positive to say about it! The majority have simply said 'oh, right' when they've heard what i've bought. I don't want to sound like a tw@t and say that they're jealous, but when any of them get a new car like an A4 or a bloody mini, everyone talks about it for ages, but nobody's interested in my car :dummy:

Awww :console: We'll still talk to you about your new squashed beetle ...... well when I say "we" I mean just Dan :stir:

:lol:

• Like 2

Nice car mate, you must be delighted.

Your mates are interested in it, they just won't let on for whatever reason. If you can't get interested in 911, even from an engineering POV, but you can in an A4 or a Mini, then there's something funny going on. I wouldn't let it bother you one but, she's a beaut.

Can you de-red those lights?

I have to disagree mate, I dont think the c4 is a fast car, yes its quick like a 350 or 370 but to say its scary quick seems very odd to me. The 911 is more focussed then a 350/370 and the power delivery and handling is something you have to learn, the car is older and the seating position is lower so you feel the speed more than in a modern car. In the same way a 350/370 is quick but deceivingly quick, you dont realise how fast you are going until you look at the speedo

I had my c4 for nearly 4 yrs and at the same time my brothers both had c2's, pretty much the same cars until you push hard, steering is a little heavier on the c4 and you definitely feel the front end light in a c2 more

they are now gone replaced by a rs focus, 370z and a 911 turbo, the turbo is a fast car as is riding a bike is fast but I really dont see the c4 as fast

Not trying to diss you're opinion but it may well mislead people

Unless you have driven both its very difficult to explain the difference in the power delivery as you will now know, they are great cars otherwise I wouldn't have kept mine for so long

I agree with ekona get yourself to Cog, Chris is a genius, he doesnt use generic figures he will make the car handle they that suits you

The handling on the 911 is the most sensitive I have ever known on a car, even new tyres can totally transform it and worn do the opposite, many people think the have problems only to find out the tyres need changing ( not just worn but out of date, flat spots due to standing etc)

Nice car mate, you must be delighted.

Your mates are interested in it, they just won't let on for whatever reason. If you can't get interested in 911, even from an engineering POV, but you can in an A4 or a Mini, then there's something funny going on. I wouldn't let it bother you one but, she's a beaut.

Can you de-red those lights?

Yes its an amberectomy, costs nothing and easy to do :thumbs:

Firstly the guys... i have a good bunch of workmates and we all hang out socially etc and are all interested in cars - however with the exception of 1 or 2, not a single person has had anything positive to say about it! The majority have simply said 'oh, right' when they've heard what i've bought. I don't want to sound like a tw@t and say that they're jealous, but when any of them get a new car like an A4 or a bloody mini, everyone talks about it for ages, but nobody's interested in my car :dummy:

Who cares what they think as long as you're happy. I had the same thing once at an old job when I bought a JDM Impreza WRX ~ they started slating my car and calling it Jap crap etc. Then one of them turns up in an old Alfa Romeo with some fake carbon fibre and they're all like "nice car mate" :wacko::lol:

Jealous I think. ;)

I think it's an awesome looking car and I for one would love to own one. Enjoy it. :thumbs:

Chris that does look very nice indeed B) You bringing her down to Wales this year ;)

A bit off subject but it must of been towards the end of last summer when I popped over to my cousins place to drop some materials off and noticed his new toy that he had recently picked up.

photo1_zpsf915078d.jpg

photo2_zpsf59779b5.jpg

Never sat in a Porshe in my life and before I knew it he said I could take her out for a spin. Have to say it did sound rather lovely B)

I have to disagree mate, I dont think the c4 is a fast car, yes its quick like a 350 or 370 but to say its scary quick seems very odd to me. The 911 is more focussed then a 350/370 and the power delivery and handling is something you have to learn, the car is older and the seating position is lower so you feel the speed more than in a modern car. In the same way a 350/370 is quick but deceivingly quick, you dont realise how fast you are going until you look at the speedo

I had my c4 for nearly 4 yrs and at the same time my brothers both had c2's, pretty much the same cars until you push hard, steering is a little heavier on the c4 and you definitely feel the front end light in a c2 more

they are now gone replaced by a rs focus, 370z and a 911 turbo, the turbo is a fast car as is riding a bike is fast but I really dont see the c4 as fast

Not trying to diss you're opinion but it may well mislead people

We'll have to agree to disagree then. :thumbs: I've done around 200 miles in it this week and it does feel much quicker than my zed. It's the 60-100 time where it feels it. I dont think i've even been over 5k revs in 4th yet as i'm always going to quick :shrug:. I googled 60-100 times and going off this list (with a pinch of salt http://www.pistonhea...c.asp?t=1241943) the 911 takes 7.0 seconds as opposed to 8.4 in a zed (or 5.5 in a 911 Turbo) so the C4 is about in the middle in that respect.

Chris that does look very nice indeed B) You bringing her down to Wales this year ;)

A bit off subject but it must of been towards the end of last summer when I popped over to my cousins place to drop some materials off and noticed his new toy that he had recently picked up.

Never sat in a Porshe in my life and before I knew it he said I could take her out for a spin. Have to say it did sound rather lovely B)

Nice...! Unfortunately i dont think i'll be allowed to Wales in my squashed beetle.

Edited by marzman