Dipstick - How do you tell the reading

DaddyCee

Ok. have owned my 350Z roadster for nearly two years now and still can't tell the reading on the dipstick. Just got a friend to take a look and with his garage experience I would have thought he could have told.

My dipstick looked as though the oil was low, but the oil pressure gauge still read 60 at 60mph in 6th gear, which I thought meant everything was normal.

Can anyone shed some light on this with some useful pics.

Oil pressure should never be taken as oil level. That's not to say I didn't used to do it, but it's only because I was taking regular readings with the (crappy!) dipstick and I got to know the engine. That was on a Revup though. It's still a Very Bad Idea to do that! :lol:

You're not alone mate, the dipstick is useless and sometimes it really is best guess. Best way to do it is to drain the oil, refill with exactly 4.7L (IIRC?) and then see what the stick says. At least that way you know what you're looking for when it's bang on top.

After the car has sat on level ground over night I read the oil level this way: pull the dipstick out first ~ wipe it clean ~ stick it back in & wait 10 seconds ~ then pull the dipstick out really, really, really slowly to get my reading. ;)

Pretty confident that works but occasionally have to repeat this procedure a few times just to be sure. :lol:

After the car has sat on level ground over night I read the oil level this way: pull the dipstick out first ~ wipe it clean ~ stick it back in & wait 10 seconds ~ then pull the dipstick out really, really, really slowly to get my reading. ;)

Pretty confident that works but occasionally have to repeat this procedure a few times just to be sure. :lol:

Your missing the part where you pull it out and it wipes oil all over your intake pipe....Grrr!

• Like 1

Your missing the part where you pull it out and it wipes oil all over your intake pipe....Grrr!

:lol: I usually put one or two pieces of kitchen roll over it to protect it. :D

Also I forgot to add that I have to use a work lamp just to see the hole where you stick the dipstick back in. :angry::dry:

I drive mine around really fast for 2 hours then jack it up and drain the oil into a measuring jug, top up as needed and then go for another 2 hour drive to check temps and pressure.

I can read the dipstick fine if the car has been parked level overnight but where is the fun in that?

Am I the only one who doesnt think its that hard to read :lol:

Do it when the car as been left overnight, is completely level (use the power steering tank as a spirit level) and its easy to read.

Perfect :thumbs:

Whatever you do don't attempt to read the oil when it's dark or even gloomy without a decent torch at hand as you'll struggle to get the dipstick back in and might even damage it....I had to learn this the hard way :surrender:

Pete