diy rear mount

andybp

Another unexciting update but as i said before just trying keep it up to date

so connectors and fuse holders showed up today so the interface board is finished

IMAG0620_zpslmetawru.jpg

just got to sort out the heatsinks for the pump driver board

IMAG0621_zps6b4wm2to.jpg

gotta stop spending money on the Z so many parts waiting for some decent weather so i can fit them. :)

IMAG0616_zps9370gxb4.jpg

• Like 2

Another little daily update the little Joystick type 5 way switch and heat sinks arrived today so the pump driver board and interface board and software are pretty much finished all tested and working on the bench

IMAG0627_zpstwwtxfsc.jpg

IMAG0630_zpsnzaioef3.jpg

went pretty much according to plan which is worrying in its self there's a famous quote "NO PLAN SURVIVES CONTACT WITH REALITY" well it's a bastardised version of a famous quote by Field Marshal Helmuth Von moltke about plans not surviving long after contact with the enemy but i digress the point is none of the work i've done on this has been within 50 feet of the Z so there's plenty that could go wrong yet on paper and on the bench it works but will my plans survive contact with the Z's electrical system ? ;)

• Like 3

Another little daily update the little Joystick type 5 way switch and heat sinks arrived today so the pump driver board and interface board and software are pretty much finished all tested and working on the bench

IMAG0627_zpstwwtxfsc.jpg

IMAG0630_zpsnzaioef3.jpg

went pretty much according to plan which is worrying in its self there's a famous quote "NO PLAN SURVIVES CONTACT WITH REALITY" well it's a bastardised version of a famous quote by Field Marshal Helmuth Von moltke about plans not surviving long after contact with the enemy but i digress the point is none of the work i've done on this has been within 50 feet of the Z so there's plenty that could go wrong yet on paper and on the bench it works but will my plans survive contact with the Z's electrical system ? ;)

Well the answer was no.my plans didn't survive contact with reality I made a couple of amateur-ish mistakes had to change a couple of transistors as the gain was too high what that meant in the real world was

that the two pumps ran flat out continuously not the end of the world also i had to tweak the software the oil pressure and temperature inputs were a real pain to get right as the sensors don't have a linear outputs

so had to do some fancy maths to ensure it read correctly real pain in the arse also put an extra menu into the software for diagnostics

so the front screen displays Turbo oil pressure and temperature and boost pressure

IMAG0632_BURST003_zpspkgh9rdl.jpg

pressing the joystick button toggles between the setup and main screen once in setup you can scroll through the 5 setup screens

first oil pressure setpoint

IMAG0633_zpsbtvoyzng.jpg

second the temperature setpoint

IMAG0634_zpsczlbl6lt.jpg

third the boost setpoint

IMAG0635_zpsdcnmyt1u.jpg

fourth the delay shut off time for the pumps

IMAG0636_zpskncelofb.jpg

fifth is the diagnostics displaying the raw analog input data

IMAG0637_zpskqfgjfkz.jpg

sorry but it's hard to take a picture of the display as the values are changing constantly this wont happen when the inputs are all connected.

So I think I've bored you enough for one day if the weather improves a little I'll try to get something interesting done for next time :)

I can remember when you first post came up about this. I think I speak for the majority of the forum when I say that we all thought, "here goes another failure!"

However, you have proven us wrong, with outstanding preparation, technical skills and amazing workmanship.

Seriously impressed. If you do get this correct and working spot on, then, I'm sure many traders would love to use your set up as a template to start manufacturing kits.

Would be interesting to hear about all the costs involved on this as a DIY kit and how much you could cut the costs once the design's settled and cut out all the R&D work.

• Like 1

I can remember when you first post came up about this. I think I speak for the majority of the forum when I say that we all thought, "here goes another failure!"

However, you have proven us wrong, with outstanding preparation, technical skills and amazing workmanship.

Seriously impressed. If you do get this correct and working spot on, then, I'm sure many traders would love to use your set up as a template to start manufacturing kits.

Would be interesting to hear about all the costs involved on this as a DIY kit and how much you could cut the costs once the design's settled and cut out all the R&D work.

can't blame you for your scepticism but i have quite a lot of experience and i'm really stubborn but most importantly i'm doing it for fun :)

as for costs some of the items were purchased at a price far below what you could buy them for normally but if i ignore the cost of dead ends and me changing my plans it owes me about £1100 buying everything full price this would go up to about £1600 -£1700 most of this extra cost is from the Ecu and oil pumps, the Ecu was 2nd hand and the oil pumps were the deal of the century :)

progressing well, are you going to run oil lines to your new sump? did you have adapters with yours or just the blanking plates thats on there now?

no no oil lines the sumps just for the extra capacity and cooling :)

just got my Spartan2 wideband O2 sensor / controller

IMAG0642_zpsbvensa3x.jpg

going to tie it into my Boost/oil pressure controller to give me a readout of the AFR also i will add another menu so it can give me a warning for rich or lean mixture based on what set points i put in also waiting for a new larger 4 line display as it's getting cluttered trying to display so much info on the 2 line lcd i'm using right now i did start changing my discs and pads today got the front done before it started raining so have already done most of the software mods while i was hiding from the rain this afternoon

:)

Good progress then Andy, ...you'll be finished by, what, next weekend?! :dry::D;)

I think next weekend might be pushing it :)

the reason I'm doing the brakes now is i didn't realise my Mot ran out 3 weeks ago luckily i haven't been driving it so i thought stuff it I'll get some work done so all the discs and pads are done now, gonna get a front tyre changed with a nick in the Sidewall shame cause it's nearly new and hope it goes through the emissions again

Thought that I'd get some measuring up done this afternoon as i need to modify the manifold for my new turbo as it doesn't quite match up little did I know how close i would come to putting in an application for a Darwin award

and taking myself out of the gene pool I was tempted to keep this to myself rather than look Stupid but if it makes people a little more careful then I can handle looking dumb or if it just makes you laugh what greater gift can i give

so I put the ramps behind the rear wheels got my chocks out and put them by the front wheels ready so I'm just starting to reverse up the ramps and my Dad appears from nowhere starts rambling on that his laptops playing up

hang on I say just let me get this up the ramps. so I get it up the ramps and he's still going on about his laptop ,He's no idea what i'm saying as he hasn't got his hearing aid in as usual.

so I sort out his laptop he's turned the Wi-fi off (again) and he buggers off home. so i get under the car and start taking the back box off one of the bolts is a pig and you have to get your hand over the top of the pipe

so this is where i am underneath the car with my hand jammed between the bodywork and the exhaust pipe when the car rolls off the ramps Yes you've guessed i was so distracted by the deaf technophobic that i didn't put my handbrake on, didn't put it in gear and as i went past dragged by my Z down the drive and into the road I saw as i suspected my chocks were where i left them and not under the wheels

so on the bright side i had loosened off the backbox so when the car hit the bottom of the ramps and the backbox hit me in the chest i didn't break any ribs and the passing car managed to swerve out of the way and not smash onto the Z

so other than some bruises and the skin i left on the drive i got off light I've got no complaints :blush:

While I've been sitting here debating whether to click POST or delete this I've decided to name the Z

"CHRISTINE "

Kings-of-Horror-Christine_zps28vpxdkv.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Holy sh*t Andy. :surrender::scare:

Not going to laugh at that as it could have turned out really nasty for you. :blackeye:

Glad you're ok and can at least be man enough to own up to your mistakes. Everyone makes them occasionally & just glad this "little" mistake didn't lead to some real harm being done. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Holy sh*t Andy. :surrender::scare:

Not going to laugh at that as it could have turned out really nasty for you. :blackeye:

Glad you're ok and can at least be man enough to own up to your mistakes. Everyone makes them occasionally & just glad this "little" mistake didn't lead to some real harm being done. :thumbs:

well talk about learn from your mistakes, I wont make that one again I've always been really careful in the past hand brake, in gear and chock the wheels unless of course i did do it and the missus wants the insurance money :unsure:
  • Like 1

That could end up bad mate. Really glad you are not badly injured. Definitely a lesson learned here, a simple mistake could end up really bad.

I was expecting some serious P**s taking from this post and if it comes I'll take it on the chin if it makes people just that little bit more cautious it's worth it like you said it could have been really bad if i hadn't been crushed under the car the idiot who swerved to avoid me must have been doing at least 50 in the 30 :rant:
  • Like 1

:scare:

Glad you escaped that one! I often worry about my sloping drive being an accident waiting to happen - brakes, gears, chocks - it only takes a second to be distracted - although bit of a shocker all three being offline though :scare: What scares the bejeezus out of you makes you stronger I guess :thumbs:

• Like 1

:scare:

Glad you escaped that one! I often worry about my sloping drive being an accident waiting to happen - brakes, gears, chocks - it only takes a second to be distracted - although bit of a shocker all three being offline though :scare: What scares the bejeezus out of you makes you stronger I guess :thumbs:

yea i know what you mean I can only put it down to the irritating deaf old geezer distracting me but at the end of the day my life, my responsibility :)
  • Like 1

PMSL - Sorry mate - it's probably as I know you survived with everything bar your pride intact but it did make me laugh :thumbs:

Glad you are OK of course - we all do stupid things - there is a picture in my build thread of me after I forgot to put the top on my spray gun before taking it off the stand and emptying the contents over me :doh:

Back on topic how are the modifications coming along?

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1

Now we know you're not going to die, can we start mocking now?

Did the car actually run over you? How did you get out from under it?? How did you explain this to your Mrs?!!

(PS - Glad you're ok. Pretty lucky escape that. Be safe!)

let the mocking commence.

no it didn't run over me i was just dragged along underneath the mrs took it quite well although she does keep poking me where it hurts which is easy as i hurt everywhere :lol:

PMSL - Sorry mate - it's probably as I know you survived with everything bar your pride intact but it did make me laugh :thumbs:

Glad you are OK of course - we all do stupid things - there is a picture in my build thread of me after I forgot to put the top on my spray gun before taking it off the stand and emptying the contents over me :doh:

Back on topic how are the modifications coming along?

whether i made you laugh or in your case PMSL or be a little more careful i consider the dent to my pride worthwhile :)
  • Like 2