diy rear mount

andybp

another minor update got home this evening to find the new larger display had arrived for my boost/oil pressure controller so obviously i ignored my wife and rushed off to my soldering iron this is a much larger display as can be seen from the picture it was getting a bit crowded trying to display the amount of information i wanted

this new display shows oil pressure and temp boost pressure and now air to fuel ratio i've also modified the software to let me enter limits for the AFR to give me a too rich / too lean warning

IMAG0673_zpsuxoabtnf.jpg

:)

• Like 1

Not just the Car also the world And I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair!

But maybe I'll just get the turbo sorted first and leave my plan for world domination until next year

If you've been following this thread you'll know that I've decided to add a scavenge pump to the turbo oil system as oil was getting past the seals due to the inadequate drainage.

the old set up had just the one pump for oil feed controlled by a mechanical pressure regulator fed from the tank through an oil filter the pressure is now controlled from a pressure sensor so i've done away with the mechanical regulator also I've put in a one way valve tee'd into the oil feed line just after the feed pump so that when I shut the engine off and the run on delay for the feed pump has timed out the scavenge pump will keep running for a set time emptying the turbo and all oil lines drawing in air through the one way valve this valve is fed from the top of the oil tank above the oil level rather than drawing in contaminated air from outside, this is what the old set up looked like

IMAG0475_zps6dd19a1e.jpg

the set up was mounted on an ally plate held in place by the exhaust heat shield mounting studs and some fixings into the chassis this was too small to accommodate a second pump so had to remake the mounting plate

the old plate on the left larger new on the right

IMAG0679_zpsif59i08i.jpg

pilot holes drilled nearly ready to be cleaned up and painted

IMAG0680_zpstrw7rzxg.jpg

holes drilled to correct size and painted

IMAG0682_zpsq0yrcuhz.jpg

everything fixed in place so i can sort out the wiring and pipework

IMAG0697_zpsoj9h1kfk.jpg

sorry about the dodgy photo's trying to maintain Keyser's high standards :lol:

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Finished adapting the manifolds for the new turbo the picture shows only the turbo exhaust housing attached as it's a bit lighter for test fitting

IMAG0702_zpsmnvdqpn2.jpg

IMAG0710_zpstauhjics.jpg

also test fitted the new oil system set up discovered a few clearance issues nothing major

IMAG0714_zpsjehcuzwg.jpg

won't get anything done now until after next Friday as I'm working all week then MOT friday

• Like 4

Again, I sound like a broken record but this is just so impressive.

I hate rear mount turbos with a passion, but massive kudos for this project my friend :)

if this was a real project where i was just trying to Turbocharge my car i could never do it like this with the huge amount of time and developement it's taken but it's actually me just playing with my car and building stuff i do intend to actually finish it by the time my insurance is due in may it also helps that i don't actually need a car so having it off the road a lot isn't a problem i only did 300 miles last year and the mot ran out a month ago so it hasn't moved in a month. :lol:
  • Like 1

Hi Andy. Firstly I must say what an extremely interesting thread this is. Nice once. Gotto ask though we're do you get your knowledge from to carry out a huge DIY project like this? Is it from experience? Done it before? Or perhaps you are in the trade? Engineer?? Just wondered. Cheers and keep up the fab work.

Edited by ZZZebady

Hi Andy. Firstly I must say what an extremely interesting thread this is. Nice once. Gotto ask though we're do you get your knowledge from to carry out a huge DIY project like this? Is it from experience? Done it before? Or perhaps you are in the trade? Engineer?? Just wondered. Cheers and keep up the fab work.

my Dad was a welder / fabricator so couldn't help but pick some up luckily for me he's blind as a bat now because unlike you he would not be impressed by some of my work would probably get a slap round the head and told to do it again :lol: so mostly self taught and 30 Yrs of modifying cars (petrol in my Veins) :)

• 3 weeks later...

it's been a while since my last update, well Christine (the name's stuck since she tried to kill me) passed the MOT ;) but between work the weather and being ill again i haven't got much done so I thought Id tidy up the electronics

the main board it works fine but since i used a prototyping board it was untidy and ugly just like me :lol: so since i have a cnc mill i designed and made a pcb to put all of this

IMAG0727_zpsg15mnguq.jpg

onto this

IMAG0721_zpsut3qe826.jpg

also I've gone over to an I2C interface for the display which uses 4 wires instead of 10

IMAG0730_zpsp1buzhbh.jpg

IMAG0729_zpsnixw90qv.jpg

will hopefully get the board finished this week also have some software mods due to the pcb design i had to change a lot of the inputs and outputs around and also due to changing the display to an I2C interface

once thats done i'll do the same for the feed and scavenge pump driver board not that it looks bad

IMAG0627_zpstwwtxfsc.jpg

but i don't like using stripboard either if i can help it and i can help it so why not. :)

• Like 3

Excellent progress. Christine will be very impressed :thumbs:

Much envy regards your handy CNC machine btw :lol:

Has come in really handy mostly for things like this and gaskets it will machine ally but not steel it's not rigid enough built it in the winter a couple of years back when i was bored

IMAG0332_zpsb6e5b7c3.jpg

• Like 2

as i said in a previous post i'm tidying the electronics as i'm ill again and not allowed to play with the car so the electronics are now done other than a cable for the display and testing

I've made new pcb's for the controller and pump driver

IMAG0731_zpsicehekyp.jpg

this is the pump driver board i used blade connectors instead of screw terminals

IMAG0734_zpsqvtwly2i.jpg

this is the finished board

IMAG0744_zpst5ajg4nh.jpg

even put an active heatsink on the case

IMAG0750_zpssgacidl8.jpg

IMAG0751_zps3jk2a7tb.jpg

this is the finished controller board now using an arduino nano instead of the uno i was using

IMAG0752_zpsx0viquke.jpg

IMAG0753_zpsh0y9tsm3.jpg

a million times better than this mess

IMAG0727_zpsg15mnguq.jpg

:)

• 4 weeks later...

will have some updates soon as i'm off the last week in april hope to get this finished then my new 570cc injectors arrived last week and have managed to get some of the wiring done been working a lot so not achieved a lot lately did manage to repaint this in metallic black with a couple of coats of lacquer

DSCN0028_zpspturufgt.jpg

i'm also off this weekend so may get some done then :)

• Like 4