diy rear mount

andybp

Ok don't laugh but once I've finished the fuel system I'm starting again even though this project has never really finished.

I'm just not happy with the layout of the pipework and lack of clearances causing rattles i just can't seem to get rid off and just how overly complex it got from bitter experience this leads to unreliability

so I've ordered another turbo which should arrive this week and a few other little items the turbo is the same as i have now I just didn't want to have my car in bits too long so having another turbo will let me do a lot of the fabrication off the car

just for convenience really

this shows the exhaust I used for this project and because I wanted to be able to return the car to standard easily and just fit the backbox in place of the turbo I chose not to modify the system even though this restricted the layout

20160711_202324_zps2swjhuzm.jpg

This time around I'm going to weld a new pipe to the center section as shown but just fit a blanking plate to the original flange on the end of the pipe this way I can still fit the standard backbox by blanking the new pipe if required

this is the setup I plan to go with the pipe across from the main exhaust from the turbo is for show not flow

20160711_202249_zpsgrxvgr2f.jpg

the backbox I have at present

IMAG0555_zps5e4f4f26.jpg

will go to be replaced by a pair of small silencers just before the tailpipes probably a slightly larger one in the passenger side pipe as this will flow most of the exhaust gas

also and this will be the controversial I told you so part I will probably lose the stand alone oil system not because it doesn't work oil pressure is 100% stable with no load on the engine oil/cooling system which was the idea

but because with a scavenge pump and feed pump running when the oil is hot it's just a bloody irritating whine I will still have an oil cooler prior to the scavenge pump to aid pump reliability and reduce any load on the engines cooling system from the turbo also I will be replacing the charge pipework from the turbo to the intake which is currently made from thin wall stainless steel with aluminium

Bear in mind that my Z (Christine) is a toy and i'm doing this for fun :)

• Like 2

Ok well the fuel return system is all installed and running now.

The only problem I had was the O-Ring between the fuel bucket and the tank maybe I should apologise to my neighbours for throwing my teddy down and shouting

F***ing S***ing F***ing S**t F**k as they walked past with their kids :blush: but I got it in ok in the end

IMAG0004_zpsqdlmlhkj.jpg

IMAG0006_zpsb9eba0sq.jpg

IMAG0007_zpskd6i36yj.jpg

also this arrived today ready for the mk2 as mr K is calling it although I'm sure we're at mk3 or 4 already

20160714_145515_zpsxuse3amh.jpg

in the previous post I said I'd ordered the same turbo as before well almost at the last minute I changed the compressor trim from 48 to 56 as I felt it was restricting airflow we'll see :unsure: if it causes a problem I'll change it

also in the previous post I didn't mention that I'm going to use the internal wastegate on the turbo this time around if it doesn't bypass enough gas to keep the boost down I'll install another wastegate at the end of the blanked off pipe that would have gone to the backbox :)

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Looks nice! Are you using original UTEC map sensor or did you buy 3bar GM sensor?

I have brand new STS kit waiting on the shelf, I'm bit hesitating if I should install it or sell it (I got it for bargain from US so I bought it anyway) but looking your thread sure makes me want to go rear mount way myself! :)

• Like 1

Looks nice! Are you using original UTEC map sensor or did you buy 3bar GM sensor?

I have brand new STS kit waiting on the shelf, I'm bit hesitating if I should install it or sell it (I got it for bargain from US so I bought it anyway) but looking your thread sure makes me want to go rear mount way myself! :)

can't see there's any value in going to the GM 3 Bar sensor i'm not sure what the standard UTEC one is rated to but it's more than enough on a 350 rear mount or is there something i'm missing (it wouldn't be the first time) :)

You are not missing anything, I was just wondering because all of the UTEC-s I have seen on Ebay are without the MAP sensor.

you can pretty much use any 3 wire sensor on the UTEC as long as you have an accurate pressure source to calibrate it from :)

Had a couple of hours this afternoon so decided there's no time like the present to start on the Mk 4 ,5, 6 or whatever version of this build I'm up to anyway it's more of an evolution than a different version

I was going to do a before and after picture but the missus was menacing me so had to stop playing but you get the idea from the before

IMG_20160811_163840_zpszmvkdguu.jpg

And the pile of bits a couple of hours later

IMG_20160811_201112_zpsfdy1utdr.jpg

I've put the old Backbox on and it's all drivable all ready to start again :wacko:

:)

so I've got a bit done this afternoon got the new takeoff welded on to the mid pipe

20160815_175835_zpsvlgkf0av.jpg

much better location for the turbo than the previous setups i have tried so far

20160815_180049_zpsfo9wsuj3.jpg

my new ramps are making it much easier as i can actually sit underneath the back of the car

this is the exhaust mid section off the car so i can finish the welding

20160815_184528_zps7ohleznb.jpg

hope to get this welding finished after work tomorrow so i can use the car again will just make a blanking plate for the flange where the turbo mounts and bolt the back box back on :)

• Like 1

Silly question alert.

With your continuous adding, removing, fettling (very interesting it is too) how do you have a "safe" map for just using it in all these various states?

I have a few different maps which I tweak on the road using my wideband afr not ideal but not worth getting it tuned until i stop playing

• Like 1

minor update got the welding all finished on the mid pipe and made a blanking plate up for the turbo flange

20160816_181733_zpsx9tapfxi.jpg

have fitted the backbox and the Z is back on the road so I will be able to use it if needed just need my new silencers to show up refill my gas bottle and I can get on.

Not much of an update just trying to update as I go

Had another change of plan as the Backbox I was going to use was pretty much destroyed by the courier company looked like they played football with it the delivery guy kept apoligising it was so bad

so rejected delivery and cancelled order and decided to reuse the old one instead got most of the welding done on it today (no pictures sorry) just got to cut off the old and weld on the new tailpipes and

weld on the valve that feeds one of the tailpipes so i can reduce the noise level to save irritating my neighbors

just waiting for my new tailpipes (which will probably arrive damaged) and need to refill my gas bottle as it's absolutely empty

well my comment in the above post about my new tailpipes arriving damaged was a major understatement mangled to F*&% would have been closer so they went back and i decided to make my own I think they would have been a bit small anyway so this is what i came up with, what do you think

20160825_174457_zpsw3pmh6bz.jpg

I think I will have modify the rear valance to make it look right but I think the four 2 1/2" pipes looks pretty cool the inside 2 are 3mm longer so it follows the line of the valance better

20160825_183532_zpsoqq9vl9e.jpg

This is the valve which will shut off the straight through section of the silencer to quieten down the exhaust to save annoying my neighbors I won't get any more done now until Sunday

the new aluminium charge pipework arrived today (The previous version used thin wall stainless) other than some silicone hose I just need some time.

• Like 4