diy rear mount

andybp

• 2 weeks later...

So the z is on the road now which makes things a little easier still have a rattle to sort out from the charge pipework, the hose still needs to be run back to the turbo inlet for the pcv system, and the controller still needs fitting properly as it's jammed in the hole with a bit of cardboard.

as predicted by many people on this site the dedicated oil system has caused me no end of problems the pumps will now be controlled by a pressure switch as opposed to a sensor since I've got through two so far i think it's the vacuum created during the shut down scavenge cycle that's killing them, for now the pumps are running at a fixed speed I will try to fit the switch tomorrow after work as much as i wouldn't recommend a dedicated oil system to anyone due to the added complication i am happy with the set up and it does have several advantages lower oil feed temp,stable oil pressure no additional heat added directly to the engine oil system.

Having driven the car for a few day's now i have to say I'm very very happy :D with the results only running 5 Psi but it feels like more, boost is really progressive and just keeps coming also comes in really low revs

overall for all of the enjoyment I've had with this project and all the fun i will have driving it for under £2k i'm more than happy

I will try to get a proper video posted and some finished pics when i have the car sorted a bit better. :)

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

so I've managed to get some time with the Z this weekend the PCV pipework under the bonnet is all sorted where the small filter is on the catch can will be replaced with a pipe going back to the pipe between the air filter and the turbo.

IMAG0820_zpsyivkuiaq.jpg

had some more problems with the oil system, no surprise there the car was smoking like a pig when it got hot it seems that the 10% faster speed of the scavenge pump compared to the feed pump wasn't allowing for the expansion of the oil when it got hot creating a restriction at the outlet forcing oil past the turbo seals it now runs 30% faster this has solved this problem also i have modified the oil drain pipework venting the 90 deg bend shown in the picture below back to the oil tank you can't see it in this photo but i wasn't laying on the wet floor to get a proper picture

IMAG0817_zps73ws4pg5.jpg

this is so that during the scavenge cycle when the engine is turned off no vacuum is created in the oil system as this kept messing up the pressure senders controlling the oil pressure

even without an oil cooler the oil temp has been really good but i'm going to fit this cooler

IMAG0819_zpsix4ttki5.jpg

as on a run i think it will be fine but sat in traffic too long with no airflow past the ally tank i'm not so sure so better safe than sorry also since i'm going to put it where the oil's hottest between the turbo and the scavenge pump it should protect the pump I'm off Wednesday so will try to get it fitted then also hoping to hit the Dyno within the next month should be interesting :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

fitted the oil cooler though i will have to rethink the pipework to it as the bends are either a little tight or long swept bends with no support due to where i had to fit the cooler there's nowhere else to put it other than right up against the silencer and that somewhat defeats the object so it is where it is

IMAG0824_zpsr2y6wo5d.jpg

IMAG0823_zpsjogut2hu.jpg

but on the plus side the oil pumps are running 20%+ slower now due to the reduced oil temp :)

still got lots to do but getting there slowly.

• Like 1

tried putting my wideband o2 sensor in place of one of the rear sensors as it has an narrowband output for the ecu so it thinks the sensor is still there only trouble is the ecu also realises the sensor heaters aren't connected so still brings up a fault so i welded another bung into the cat

IMAG0826_zpsdxylutnv.jpg

IMAG0828_zps1q0ujdah.jpg

IMAG0829_zpspx6chhqq.jpg

as i had to get the car up on ramps anyway i also ran the pipe back to the intake to complete the PCV system another job i can cross off the list also sorted out the rattles from the charge pipework

this is the pipe between the turbo and airfilter where the PCV system vents back to

IMAG0831_zpszy35jxly.jpg

IMAG0832_zpsvfeikppe.jpg

IMAG0833_zps9zh00fnc.jpg

and here it is fitted to the airfilter

IMAG0834_zpsmomjdsau.jpg

so no more smell of oil for me :)

• Like 1

got the ally sump fitted today as expected a bit of a pig to get off as they are just put on with a liquid gasket but i found the perfect tool to remove it without damaging the upper ally part of the sump

IMAG0838_zpsys1kkhbq.jpg

its off of my multitool

pretty straight forward job drain the oil then put the sump plug back in as you wont get all of the oil out of the sump and you dont want it pouring out when you remove the sump

IMAG0836_zpsit7i2whc.jpg

undo all of the 10mm bolts holding the sump on thats the easy bit i actually had to hammer a small wallpaper scraper in between the upper and lower sump to get started then managed to slide the multitool blade around the edge to cut through the liquid gasket being careful not to damage the upper sump as it's ally sounds easy but my poor hands say different. then drop the lower sump which may still contain oil mine still had about half a pint

IMAG0837_zps5rztnqsh.jpg

then clean the gasket off the upper ally sump i used the same multitool blade and finished with a bit of brake cleaner use what you like to clean the surface i just happened to have brake cleaner, apply liquid gasket to new sump and fit, tighten up evenly cant remember what the torque setting is

IMAG0839_zpsgad3tswy.jpg

had to turn the water hose slightly that goes to the oil cooler as it was rubbing on the sump but other than that a perfect fit

IMAG0840_zpsqhpiotnz.jpg

i'm not sure what the capacity difference is compared to the standard sump its at least a litre more on the road my oil pressure has gone from 20-25 psi at idle to 30-35 some of this increase may be from the fresh oil but not much as it's only done 600 miles since last change so the majority of this change must be due to lower oil temps dont know what else to put it down to i'm even using the same oil

also while i was under there i got a pic of my modified cat with the extra o2 sensor in it which i did in my previous post

IMAG0842_zpsgacrgf0m.jpg

:)

• Like 1

Very nicely done. I used a sump remover tool and a gasket scraper set from eBay to make it easy on myself when I took my sump off.. but I still managed to spill about a litre of black oil on my drive and myself :doh: It was going so well up to the point it went ...slip..plop..oh pants :lol:

• Haha 1

Nice work as always mate :thumbs:

I use a dead blow hammer to get the old sumps off - I find this is best done while Buster is holding the old sump, that way if I hit any fingers they are not mine, if oil spills it either goes over Buster or he gets the blame for spilling it and therefore the job of cleaning up. But each to their own - what ever works for you :)

Nice work as always mate :thumbs:

I use a dead blow hammer to get the old sumps off - I find this is best done while Buster is holding the old sump, that way if I hit any fingers they are not mine, if oil spills it either goes over Buster or he gets the blame for spilling it and therefore the job of cleaning up. But each to their own - what ever works for you :)

I dont have a sump removal tool or dead blow hammer so had to make do just dont have the space for everything :surrender: i really need to move i want my own z shed :)

• 3 weeks later...

gave the car a bit of a thrash today and one of the jobs i've been putting off reared it's ugly head I've been using the original maf housing and pipework luckily it gave out at the top of my road

IMAG0849_zpsiuzr3pib.jpg

i only needed to do 5 mins welding to fit the proper pipe but it's been too hot to weld so i left it that will teach me never mind all done now

IMAG0850_zpsmhbzwu8s.jpg

also while i had the bonnet up i drilled out the pcv valve actually drilled it out 1mm bigger wont hurt to have the extra flow

IMAG0851_zpsk94ysodn.jpg

I've also got my TXS wideband o2 setup working with the utec ecu so it will log my afr alongside the other data from the ecu should be interesting trouble is i've tested it by running the o2 sensor cable out the passenger door and under the car ok for testing but need to run the o2 sensor cable to about where the ecu is and i dont really want to drill any holes any ideas welcome :help:

Andy, if you want a permanent install, send all your sensor cables through the firewall grommet passenger side behind battery/ipdm.

eg

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/86592-precious-got-a-supercharger/page__st__280#entry1463362

Plenty of room in the grommet, and all thats required is to press 2 out of 3 tangs (one is fixed) of the plastic body (not just rip the grommet off), from the area above the ecu to release it so you can get the rubber seal back - it just clicks back in then :)

Andy, if you want a permanent install, send all your sensor cables through the firewall grommet passenger side behind battery/ipdm.

eg

http://www.350z-uk.c...80#entry1463362

Plenty of room in the grommet, and all thats required is to press 2 out of 3 tangs (one is fixed) of the plastic body (not just rip the grommet off), from the area above the ecu to release it so you can get the rubber seal back - it just clicks back in then :)

thanks Chris didn't realise this came out so easy on standby all next week so won't get this done until Friday when it will probably rain :lol:
  • Like 1

ok so i know there have been no real updates for a while but i have been busy fitting new suspension http://www.350z-uk.c...s-bc-coilovers/

i've also fitted my TXS wideband O2 controller (thanks for the routing advice Chris) working with the UTEC ECU i can now log all of the data against the AFR from the data so far, the APS turbo map i've been running is doing a really good job, unlike my wastegate which is either too small to bypass enough gas or the springs too strong and needs changing hitting 8 psi and boost still rising I'm hoping it's the spring but expecting it's the wastegate I've got a lighter spring will try that first i didnt have this problem with the GT35 but it had a much larger hot side :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

A little update for you although this project is pretty much complete I am still finishing things off and sorting out a few teething problems

some of you may not be surprised to hear that the oil system is one of these issues. on a run it's fine but as soon as you slow down or sit in traffic the oil temp rises the fitting of the small oil cooler into the system helped

IMAG0824_zpsr2y6wo5d.jpg

but without any air flowing through it oil temps are higher than i would like. the temp is lower than in a conventional oil system but still a little high for the electric feed and scavenge pumps this could be a reason why they fail quite regularly in the STS systems ?

so to try to improve the situation I've fitted a 12v fan from a Honda Scooter I had to make a new oil cooler mounting bracket to take the fan

IMAG0894_zpsqlb3ewir.jpg

IMAG0896_zpsvskv1zhk.jpg

IMAG0897_zps9ihhtlxm.jpg

the fan will run off the feed to the oil feed pump so as the pump speeds up to make oil pressure as the oil gets hot so will the cooling fan at least that's the plan for now will try it tomorrow

:)

• Like 3