diy rear mount

andybp

Luving the fabrications you do mate - great work, great skills mate :thumbs:

High praise from the master himself i see myself as Luke Skywalker to you're Obi Wan Kenobi or maybe you're more of a Yoda :lol: couldn't say we haven't met (yet)

But one day I shall be the master :starwars:

• Like 1

Great stuff Andy. B);)

Good to see you're still around even though you've gone over to the dark side (FWD) :)

Yep I've been back on CTRO (Civic Type R Owners forum) again but honestly it pales in comparison to this place for the most part. ;)

Seems like nobody welcomes the newbies on there and it's not as active or with as interesting threads to read so still on here mainly.

It does have a few good threads that are still going strong on there like "the smutfest" and the many EP3 build threads.

Caught up with a few people on there who were on it back when I first joined in 2010 so they do have the regulars like on here which is nice. :)

• 3 weeks later...

a bit of a nothing post this but i just wanted to keep the thread up to date.

driving hard the oil temp is still coming up so i've changed the supply of the oil cooler fan over to the scavenge pump feed as it runs approx 50% faster than the feed pump that it was connected to if this still doesn't keep it cool enough i'll have to put in a bigger cooler also i'm looking into a fuel return system and uprated fuel rails i already have a 255 LPH pump to fit and in case you didn't guess of course i'm going to build it not buy it so i may be hitting up some of you guys for some info specifically the exact dimensions of the fuel pressure regulator (or the part they put in to replace it ) in the tank (Chris ? :) )

Regarding the PM. thanks for all the advice Chris always prefer advice from people with first hand experience as opposed to read or heard somewhere the lack of dampers in the cheaper rails is an issue I'm undecided weather to stick with the standard rails or cough up the money for ones with dampers or maybe add dampers to the cheaper rails you know how i like to play also what O ring did you have trouble with the smaller or larger I remember from your post you said it was a really tight fit maybe they were damaged during fitting due to being too tight

:)

On the nozzle - the groove bit (I think the kit should have had a O ring replacement - not in mine), so I tried using the small diameter fat ring from the OEM regulator, but that spilt, then tried a couple of others from my box of O rings - they need to be fuel proof (Viton) not standard rubber - was never really happy with that either. If you find the perfect ring, you might be fine with the pictured dimensions I gave in the PM. Re-use the factory spacer and big O ring.

Eventually, even after fixes, and because the flow never seemed that good (and was still rough with lack of damping and thin oem pipes) in the whole system, I just ripped it out and upgraded to CJ S2 which contains the new final edition V3 damped rails and big pipes - ultimate system - perfect. Flow is so much better, it completely blew my tune out :lol: Basically my system is wide bore all the way from the pump to the big injectors and back down the return.

Alternative design for the plug bit is the CJ which fits it ring around the neck - see the pdf link I sent - with slightly different dimensions (I don't have one to hand) and is better as it compresses in between the nozzle and hole as opposed to stopping flow over (and possibly letting past if not perfect) the nozzle rings.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I'm back with a little update I've been having some problems with boost creep basically this means that the waste gate is too small and the gas still going through the turbo is producing more boost than i want at higher RPM the current waste gate is either 35 or 38 mm cant remember which I was going to go up to 44 mm but i cant be bothered to mess about welding new flanges on only to discover it's still too small so I've gone for 50 mm

IMAG0954_zpsqslz2qqp.jpg

IMAG0955_zpseotszb1u.jpg

also I've beenpurchasing the components for my fuel return system but this wont get started until next year

IMAG0956_zpszhwqwiyh.jpg

the waste gate i might do tomorrow depending on the weather :)

• Like 3

Never going to be straight forward Andy but always impressed with your problem solving. B):)

Nice to see you still around Gareth hope the civic is providing you with some fun ;)

Yep I'm still loitering. :D

Definitely good fun taking the Civic up to 8K rpm every so often, ...although lately its been acting as more of a waste disposal van taking various cr*p to the dump. :lol:;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've made another purchase for the fuel return system, a second hand fuel bucket complete as i didn't want to risk damaging mine it only cost me £24 complete it's a bit dirty but other than that perfect

IMAG0973_zpsicu8pguj.jpg

i've got it all cleaned and stripped down

IMAG0980_zpsab0w9ito.jpg

IMAG0981_zps5iuopynw.jpg

just need to put my lathe back together so i can make the plug that replaces the pressure regulator

doing it this way i should be able to keep my car on the road through a large part of the installation :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I made a decision about fuel rails and the design of my fuel return system and the decision is I'm not going to have one.

At least that's the plan as long as the pressure regulator will fit where I want it to. in a bid to reduce the complexity of pipework and reduce the heating of fuel in the tank due to the heat picked up by the fuel that is being returned in fuel return systems I'm going with the same design APS used on their twin turbo setup running a vacuum hose back to the regulator mounted directly on top of the fuel bucket this may not give as stable fuel pressure as a fuel return system but fuel pressure will be relative to manifold pressure which is the main reason I'm doing this and the much larger volume in the new fuel rails

IMAG0985_zpspakzfug7.jpg

should help to keep the pressure stable. I'm keeping the original fuel damper where the fuel line comes into the engine bay into a AN6 Y feeding the 2 fuel rails the other end of the fuel rails will be linked via AN6 fittings/pipe to help stabilise the pressure in the rails so to the fuel rails themselves there were lots of choices from cheap to stupid money so I went cheap of course because that was one of my main goals when i started this DIY turbo thread to prove that expensive and branded is not necessarily the best or only way to go,well that and you can do it yourself' but since i don't want my car going up in flames due to a fuel leak I plugged the holes put my old injectors in the rails and pressure tested these

I pressurised the rails with my compressor to 8 Bar about 116 psi and put them in a bucket of soapy water and other than one of the injectors letting by absolutely nothing looking inside the rails the threads are all clean and there are no burrs from machining I'm not saying all fuel rails are equal or that all cheap Chinese products are good the main problems i see with these goods are the lack of consistency of the quality i could have bought the same product from another supplier and got crap this time i got lucky :)

Love this thread wish I had the same set of skills to be able to pull this off... If only I could weld

it's just practice so if you never try you'll never be any good my dad says my welding looks like bird s@!t but he was a welder for 30 yrs :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

as part of this fuel system upgrade i need to make some custom parts although i have a CNC mill it's not really rigid enough for ally i designed it to cut plastics which it does really well so rather than pay someone to make the parts for me I spent my money else where on this in fact.

IMAG0988_zps7lvqdk0n.jpg

IMAG0998_zpsvn6qeydc.jpg

It arrived today I've already stripped, cleaned and adjusted it just need to convert it to CNC and I should be able to get started making parts after christmas

• Like 3