diy rear mount

andybp

got the fabrication of the exhaust/turbo pipework finished today only the charge pipework ,oil lines and scavenge pump mounting in the engine bay to do :teeth:

20160828_181939_HDR_zps9rsjfmko.jpg

the tailpipes need cleaning up and polishing this is what it looks like off the car

20160828_174051_HDR_zpspm4maewb.jpg

this is the view from underneath

20160828_182001_HDR_zps7kt8ahpx.jpg

might get started on the charge pipework Friday as I'm off unless the missus has plans :dry:

:)

• Like 1

Looks awesome mate and pipes look GTR ish which is cool B)

Does a bit doesn't it.

Great job Andy. Would love to hear how it sounds when it's all sorted. :)

yea I can't wait to hear it I want to see what difference the valve makes in the tailpipe but will have to wait until I get the oil supply to the turbo don't want to ruin the bearings

Not posted for a while but have been silently stalking your skills Andy.

Really looking forward to seeing the fruits of your stubbornness and hard work pay off.

Keep going chap!

Yea I think a lot of people silently view my ramblings (Probably shaking their heads saying "What is he on ?") 400 odd posts on this thread half of which are me but 18000+views ?

Really looking forward to seeing the fruits of your stubbornness and hard work pay off.

Keep going chap!

Yea I think a lot of people silently view my ramblings (Probably shaking their heads saying "What is he on ?") 400 odd posts on this thread half of which are me but 18000+views ?

I recon 18000 views is enough incentive to get your idea to work.

No pressure mate! .... Lol

• Like 1

Keep going chap!

I recon 18000 views is enough incentive to get your idea to work.

No pressure mate! .... Lol

Damn now I have performance anxiety usually only get that in bed. :blush:
  • Like 2

I read everything you post mate, it's still an absolutely fascinating read. I love this kind of project :)

What you mean never ending :lol:

:lol: you should see Wassos V8 project that's been going on for years ;)

• Like 2

I read everything you post mate, it's still an absolutely fascinating read. I love this kind of project :)

What you mean never ending :lol:

:lol: you should see Wassos V8 project that's been going on for years ;)

I have seen it I even considered the v8 swap when i killed my first engine but seeing how long Wasso's is taking i'm glad i didn't bother but he'll get there and it'll sound fantastic :teeth:

Sorry for an uninteresting update but I like to keep it up to date.

At the very least I would have had to modify the charge pipework between the turbo and the intercooler but decided to change it as even though it was thin wall stainless it was still quite heavy so I decided to make it in ally the only problem

with that was I only have a dc Tig welder so can't weld ally so decided to braze it with low temp ally brazing rods it's not an ideal solution but "it's what I've got" as they say the pipework is complete to the back of the Engine just the fiddly bit past the front suspension to do should get it finished this week

This is the piece that goes from the turbo around the diff and right up to the Flexi coupling on the Y pipe

IMG_20160904_093952_zpsosnet3k6.jpg

The next piece goes from there over the gearbox cross member to just before the front suspension this is visable running alongside the gearbox

IMG_20160904_173241_zpsnqpy8ybv.jpg

The last piece will be the tricky bit past the front suspension to the intercooler

• Like 1

Had all of the pipework finished and was refitting it after cleaning it up when one of the joints cracked not the end of the world I could have repaired it but I'm no longer convinced that another joint won't go

so I'm gonna do what i should have done in the beginning and weld it instead you may notice the flaw in my plan the reason I brazed it in the first place was that I only have a DC TIG welder so can't weld Ally

So my new AC TIG welder should be here Monday :D the missus didn't even lift an eyebrow when I told her then again she has just knackered one of her 19" BBS split rims on her car that will probably cost as much as my welder.

So this arrived Friday my new ac/dc tig have just been waiting for the Ally welding rods which arrived today

IMAG0010_zpsvde9ecyk.jpg

So I obviously ignored my wife when I got home and went straight into the garage to play managed to get the longest piece of the pipework I brazed up last week cut apart and welded back together before I was menaced and had to stop play for the day.

IMAG0009_zpssfyehbay.jpg

other than the fact that the picture is really crap the pipework is the same as before the only difference being that I won't be worried that it will come apart while i'm doing 70 +/- 10% ;)

will get the rest of the pipework re-made this week then I'm just waiting on some fittings for the oil pipework.

• Like 2

Again not much of an update all of the charge pipework is now welded instead of brazed and all fitted still waiting for a couple of -an4 fittings for the oil line to the turbo so while I'm waiting thought I'd get on with mounting the scavenge pump

after much poking around I've decided to fit it on the passenger side at the front next to the bottom corner of the radiator I've removed this piece of the arch liner ? and fabricated a new one in quite thick ally plate to mount the pump on

IMG_20160915_185212_zpsigspzbmn.jpg

Obviously this will be attached with additional fixings not just the plastic clips that the standard piece uses

So I was going to show you the oil supply and scavenge pipework that I've installed from the turbo up to the engine bay but I did such a good job you cant even see it :teeth:

The only bit visible is where it connects to the turbo just need to turn the car around and get the front end in the air so I can finish

IMG_20160922_180418_zpsngk7pakf.jpg

Just got to decide how I'm going to control the scavenge pump it needs to be controlled as I don't want it running full speed all of the time it will just shorten it's life and be noisy could have it speed up with engine oil pressure

what do you think ?

• Like 1