diy rear mount

andybp

• 3 months later...

This post is for mr K to encourage him to drag his Bridgport kicking and screaming into the modern world

as i said in previous posts on this thread I'm upgrading the fuel system for this diy turbo setup and as is my way doing/making as much as possible myself to this end I've upgraded my CNC milling machine obviously i didn't just buy one that would be expensive and where would be the fun in that. This is how it came out of the box.

IMAG0988_zps7lvqdk0n.jpg

And by the end of the day it looked like this

IMAG0989_zpssayne5cu.jpg

IMAG0992_zpsmznrlj26.jpg

I'm sticking with the lead screws on the x and y Axis for now but have adjusted them up to take out the backlash but have had to redesign and replace the z axis with a 20 mm ballscrew I've had to go for a 2 : 1 pulley system on all axis as the stepper motors and drivers i had laying around (as you do ) were not powerful enough

This is one of the axis with the hand wheel removed and adapter for the stepper motor and pulley fitted

IMAG1026_zpst3d2obbu.jpg

this is the part i made to take the z axis ballnut

IMAG1028_zpsvecca3ws.jpg

z axis top mount being machined

IMAG1036_zpslsa4fd5o.jpg

finished z axis top mount also showing proximity limit switch

IMAG1063_zps0nu08g4v.jpg

y axis nearly ready to go

IMAG1059_zps41iklsx4.jpg

The machine is actually usable now just need to tidy up the wiring and finish a few other bits and i can get on with the fuel system for the Z :)

• 2 weeks later...

So onto the fuel system at last since I want to make it easy to return the car back to standard easily I'm keeping the damper on the end of the fuel line where it comes into the engine bay so this plate

IMAG1070_zps74yy09an.jpg

that the damper fits into will be replaced with this one I've machined from ally

IMAG1080_zpsk6ksf0y7.jpg

which has an AN6 fitting fitted to it to allow it to connect straight to the new fuel rails I also drilled a hole through it and fitted connectors on each end

so that the pipes for the evaporative fuel emission system could be kept standard luckily I have a spare plenum which made measuring up easier

IMAG1082_zpsxsxc2ucb.jpg

IMAG1077_zpscpocwjoe.jpg

just waiting for some AN6 hose and fittings and i can fit the new fuel rails the fuel return system will be next on the list after that

Oh and just because they're shiney these are my new wheels i will fitting next week when the spacers arrive. :)

IMAG1073_zpsmtgujswr.jpg

• Like 4

Very interesting read as always Andy and I love the new alloys. ;) They're going to look great. B)

What size are they & what tyres/size etc are you going with?

:)

18x8 and 18x9 225's front 255 rear

Interesting Andy that you didn't fancy something maybe a bit wider on the rear than the 255 but still a little wider than OEM.

Gorgeous looking alloys though and hope everything keeps going okay for you. :thumbs:

I only went up to 255 to fill the rims better. with the wheel offsets and the spacers I'm using the track should be 40mm wider overall on the rear and 20mm on the front axle this will give me +5mm extra scrub radius per wheel on the front so not too bad :)

I only went up to 255 to fill the rims better. with the wheel offsets and the spacers I'm using the track should be 40mm wider overall on the rear and 20mm on the front axle this will give me +5mm extra scrub radius per wheel on the front so not too bad :)

Sounds good with the extra track width you'll have then. :)

Can't wait to see how the alloys look on the car once you've got the tyres sorted. :thumbs:

• 2 months later...

So this project eventually gets going again in case you lost the plot I'm on the fuel system putting in an external fuel pressure regulator so that fuel pressure will rise with boost pressure so I've made a plug to replace the standard regulator in the fuel bucket (thanks to Chris for the dimensions ) unless you have a lathe this isn't a DIY job

20160612_165118_zpsdxuxli4c.jpg

20160612_165333_zpsv1jsozco.jpg

you can't just blank it off because as I understand it the fuel that is bled off from the standard regulator is required to pull the fuel from the drivers side of the tank so with an external regulator the returned fuel is fed back to this point after passing through the plug which replaces the standard regulator

This is my modified fuel bucket with up rated pump and fuel return running into the regulator blanking plug

20160612_202217_zps9mytitvg.jpg

20160612_202251_zpsyvzi3nte.jpg

I hope to get this fitted this month

• Like 1

Yes this project is going at a snails pace lately glad to see you're all still with me though :D

the fuel systems all ready to go now maybe the missus will let me play this weekend if i'm good :blush:

oh I forgot to say in the previous post to get the fuel return pipe in the bucket the shape I wanted and still be flexible it has a stainless steel pipe through the middle 3/4

Including buying a spare fuel bucket, fuel rails, up-rated pump, pressure regulator and hoses and fittings this fuel return system will have cost approx £200-£250

I can live with that :)

• 4 weeks later...

I got the return fuel line run on Sunday managed to get it in the original clips that the fuel feed line runs in if I'd run it in black hose as opposed to the stainless braided it would look like it was supposed to be there :D

All of the pipework in the engine bay is done even the new fuel pressure regulator is fitted and connected but blanked off

20160701_164251_zpsya03gf9e.jpg

now all I need to do is fit the completed modified fuel bucket with blanked off regulator, up-rated fuel pump and fuel return line fitted

20160701_170551_zpshilz5axb.jpg

replace the plug in the fuel pressure regulator with the AN4 fitting and connect the fuel return line at both ends

And drive off into the sunset (at least I hope that's the sunset and not an engine fire from my DIY fuel return system :scare: )

• Like 2