diy rear mount

andybp

Looks pretty good although you wouldn't want to catch that feed on a speed bump. Will be safer when you sort the cover or some sleeker piping.

Progress though. :yahoo:;)

yea the fitting i'm waiting for should gain me an inch extra clearance my missus said an extra inch would make all the difference :blush: shame about the insurance messing me about though can't make their minds up :rant:
  • Like 1

yea the fitting i'm waiting for should gain me an inch extra clearance my missus said an extra inch would make all the difference :blush: shame about the insurance messing me about though can't make their minds up :rant:

Try Adrian Flux when it comes to your renewal ~ gave me a competitive quote on my Zed so decided to try them this year. :thumbs:

Try Adrian Flux when it comes to your renewal ~ gave me a competitive quote on my Zed so decided to try them this year. :thumbs:

yea I've already decided to go with Adrian Flux I've always used them in the past when i had big mods nitros,turbo's and big juicy V8 swaps they've already given me a decent quote my mr2 gt turbo they insured for £165 fully comp

when i had it so will go with them when my policy runs out :D

ok so I've removed the manifold, turbo, oil system, the pipe from the intercooler to the intake put the filter back under the bonnet and refitted the back box so the cars back to normal until my insurance is due for renewal only took 2 hrs slight mishap emptied the oil tank to save spilling any on the drive when i took it off but i was rushing because it was due to rain so just moved the container with 2l of oil to the side while i took the tank off, ratchet slipped out of my oily hand hit me in the head and i kicked the oil over missus is none too pleased :angry:

so now It's off I'm going for a major redesign the manifolds hardly free flowing and the quick spool setup is pretty restrictive too lots of 90 degree bends in the setup not good for airflow also weighs a ton and is too noisy i'm going to stick with the turbo i've got for now and if it still doesn't spool quick enough will drop the turbine A/R from .63 to .58 i'm hoping that the redesign will give me enough room to squeeze in a small straight through silencer to take the edge off the exhaust noise i think the hardest bit will be squeezing in the air filter

IMAG0476_zps0772dd9b.jpg

yes i know what you're thinking with the talent to produce work like the above i should be an artist pi** artist maybe :lol: but you get the idea

• Like 2

^^ For extra cool man points you should have drawn that on a beer mat. ;):lol:

How long do you have to wait then? Is the renewal up this year then?

5 months but if i cancel my existing policy i get nearly nothing back and because it's multi car it messes the missus insurance up as well

thats the other reason for the redesign i've got the time and it'll give something to do over the winter in the garage was going to do about an electric bike conversion (no not a pushbike) and i need to rebuild my cnc lathe but that can wait till next year so much to do so little time ;)

• 3 weeks later...

So the redesign is working out pretty much exactly as planned so far just for your amusement here's a reminder of it and another chance for you to be sarcastic about my drawing

and no i didn't get a child to do it for me (it would have been better )

013dba28-f828-4fec-8e82-d0aadae28493_zps464c4da6.jpg

the previous design was limited by my choice of materials and the use of a wastegate as a quick spool valve

if i still feel the need for a quick spool setup after the redesign i'll put a butterfly valve into one half of the divided flange.

it looks like it's also going to weigh in 3-4 kg lighter at least until i add the silencer

IMAG0481_zpsa112e8ab.jpg

IMAG0483_zps461ecd3f.jpg

here it is so far only tied in to the passenger side exhaust hanger the silencer i'm going to fit will tie in to the two drivers side exhaust hangers connecting the whole thing together

IMAG0497_zps455a35e4.jpg

if the missus will let me play tomorrow i'll get the flange made up for the wastegate and welded in place was tempted to cut the old one off the first manifold but its easier to make a new one than mess about like that

IMAG0502_zpsa967dac7.jpg

that will be my last chance to get anything done until next weekend as i'm on standby all next week doesn't matter really i'm nearly out of gas for the welder anyway

• Like 1

looks-good-to-me.jpg

:D Seriously though good job.

Also on a side note I now know how difficult it is keeping these build threads going since posting my own ~ can't believe how long it's taken me just to post a few images & write some cr*p. :lol:;)

Edited by GMballistic
  • Like 1

looks-good-to-me.jpg

:D Seriously though good job.

Also on a side note I now know how difficult it is keeping these build threads going since posting my own ~ can't believe how long it's taken me just to post a few images & write some cr*p. :lol:;)

just saw your thread before checking mine looking good but you've left us on the edge of our seats now because we know the superchargers on and you're going to make us wait to see it B)

as for keeping the thread going thats actually easy because in part i'm doing it because i've had so many cars and so many projects and all i have to show for it are maybe a couple of pictures

so this is a record of all the time and pain (and expense) also helps me think

on top of that it's a good vent for my sarcasm :lol: something i note you're not short of :boxing: (and there i go again) :lol:

Edited by andybp
  • Like 1

Andy this is the first car I've modified that I really have pictures of from start to finish available on my laptop. Most of the others I've messed with I took pictures of them with my 35mm SLR camera that I used to have so they're all hidden away in a photo album that nobody else looks at,

....tried showing my family but they aren't interested and all my Mum says is why don't you get a nice small car? :yuck::bangin:

Keep it up mate & I'll try to do the same. :thumbs:

• Like 1

found time today to make up wastegate flange and get it welded on even got it painted in hi temp paint

IMAG0509_zps4c2464fe.jpg

also cut off turbo outlet flange and wastegate flange off of old setup as i don't intend to use it this will save me £20 (cheapskate)

IMAG0504_zpsc0741bd1.jpg

but what i really need to do is tidy up this s**t hole before i trip over something an break my neck

IMAG0503_zpsc2765473.jpg

:)

• Like 2

the back box showed up thursday

IMAG0512_zpsb1d04aac.jpg

IMAG0513_zps63addfd9.jpg

got a bit done today

IMAG0514_zpsc7e107c0.jpg

IMAG0517_zps87933457.jpg

IMAG0518_zps0976b709.jpg

out of gas again will see if the welding suppliers open tomorrow if not wont get any more done until wednesday

this is the new turbo location

IMAG0511_zpsc8a80ab9.jpg

IMAG0510_zps55a87498.jpg

should hopefully have this all finished pretty quick then just got to wait until the insurance renewal :rant:

• Like 1