diy rear mount

andybp

• 3 weeks later...

I have tuned a STS kit on a built motor , they work well up to around 0.8 bar boost then after the drop in exhaust pressure causes boost drop off , car was running a GT35 ran 550 hub bhp @ 1.2bar boost and 580lb/ft tuned with Uprev.

Good idea keep the boost at a reasonable level and don't make to much torque for a stock Motor.

a bit slow so far really need to get the exhaust system i'm going to use on the car so i can take some measurements but it's too damn cold out to be honest

Have started on the dedicated oil system just cut the box section stainless i'm going to use as a sump for the turbo to drain into this isn't very big will hold about 0.5l but the oil cooler will hold about the same

so should be adequate i'm going to vent the sump back to the turbo inlet

IMAG0017_zps4c51e9ee.jpg

IMAG0021_zpsf33a1246.jpg

IMAG0020_zps18209f06.jpg

have actually welded this up but too embarassed to show the results haven't touched my tig in at least 3 years should have had a practice first oh well that will teach me best i do it again

Edited by andybp

yep came from ebay make sure you go for a metal gear type pump as opposed to plastic gears or a diaphram as they aren't designed to cope with hot oil

gonna run it from a power controller fed from a pressure sensor so it doesn't run all out at least thats the plan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Ok first sorry about the lack of updates been really busy at work and to be to be honest i'm outside all day at work so dont fancy the idea of laying under the car swapping the exhaust so I can measure up for the fabrication

first off the oil system

I've had it running on the bench with some success but also some things i'm not happy about the origional sump turned out to be too small but i came across an oil tank on some old hydraulic pumps it was a bit big so i cut it in half and re welded it and welded on an an 10 fitting for the turbo drain tank now fully finished and painted dont have any finished photo's just this one part way through

IMAG0070_zps9543795f.jpg

there's an oil cooler on the outlet of the tank feeding an oil filter then the pump the outlet of the pump has a pressure regulator which feeds back into the tank

to maintain 40 psi at the turbo i'm having to run the pump at 8 Volts and bypass three times as much oil back to the sump as is going to the turbo to stop the pump stalling and burning out

a smaller capacity pump may solve this but if i dont have this sorted by the time the weather improves enough for me to get under the car to start the measuring/fabrication then i'll give up the idea of a stand alone oil system

for another day and go with the standard feed from the engine and a scavenge pump

at the moment i'm running a unichip piggyback on the car not much use for the turbo setup(although it did give me an extra 3mpg)

so this is what i got to replace it a turboxs utec ecu

IMAG0091_zps4e8b63c4.jpg

IMAG0077_zps203e2e9f.jpg

this is what they used on the sts turbo's got it for a good price including the map sensor have just updated the software to the last varsion before they stopped supporting it the only thing it didn't come with that i wanted was the

remote map switch had a look around not much in the uk found some in the us but at $50-$70 seemed like a bit of a **** take to me for a switch ,a plug and a bit of cable in the middle

so after looking at the accessory plug pinout in the manual i decided to make my own the connections are pretty straight foreward it's a 4 bit binary input although the pin for the fourth bit is also listed as the clutch switch

i couldnt get the 4th bit to register it's not needed anyway the BCD (binary coded decimal) switches are generally quite expensive but i managed to get 2 for £3 and paid a couple of quid for the molex connector that plugs into the ecu

IMAG0086_zps25e9df2f.jpg

IMAG0089_zpsd50dec09.jpg

Edited by andybp
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok first off sorry for a lack of updates in my defence the weather was crap

but now i've managed to swap the exhaust over to the one i have chosen to use for this project things are happening at last

the choice to use this system was made for several reasons

1. I had the system already and 2. I didn't want to throw money at it i want to prove it can be done on a budget

This approach has caused some issues including restricting my choice of materials and this issue of clearance between the end of the exhaust centre section and the back of the car

1_zpsf071e029.jpg

I did consider cutting it back and welding a new flange on it but i like the idea of being able to put it back to normal easily and also i can still use the car as it only takes 10 min to take the back box off

so this is what i came up with

5_zps7f0e32d1.jpg

yes i know what you're thinking but bear with me this isn't quite the final product

27_zps3b7a78c7.jpg

28_zpsd6109f4f.jpg

neither is this but it's getting there the blue wastegate will go straight into the pipe from the turbo it's going to be just the one tailpipe

the silver wastegate is for the quick spool

20_zps2f24f620.jpg

i've still got some welding to do in fact i've still got a lot to do but it's getting there

29_zps9034ff9d.jpg

• Like 1

with everything bolted on but the tailpipe

30_zps03f0a515.jpg

i don't think anyone will even realise it's there

32_zps7c70bbf8.jpg

this pic gives a better idea of the layout

31_zpse0dbd4c2.jpg

view from underneath just lacking flexi pipe from wastegate to tailpipe

33_zpsb37262d6.jpg

and this is tailpipe with flexi from wastegate welded on (absolute pig to do) need to get this all cleaned up and painted and start on the air filter not gonna just bolt on a cone filter as in the sts setup

we dont really have the climate for that

• Like 1

31a_zps55f2ffaa.jpg

better pic of it mounted on car

34_zpsd48fa39b.jpg

wastegate flexi pipe welded on

still got plenty to do

steel braided oil feed and return should be here by the end of the week, intercooler and pipework should arrive next week but i still need to decide in what to do about the air filter