diy rear mount

andybp

Well your certainly doing a sensible thing in having its own oil supply. After replying to you earlier I went on ebay to look at turbos and I was amazed at how cheap you can get gt35 copies. They might not last that long but at £100 you could afford to change it every couple of months.

After reading your thread I really want to try it. If I hadn't already blew so much money on supercharging I'd be doing it. I'd want to build the engine though and have a big turbo with alot of lag and alot of power. I know people say response is more important but I love big lag as long as there's massive power when it kicks in! :lol:

when i had my Mr2 gt turbo I was talking to someone on one of the forums and he'd been running one of the chinese knock off turbo's for nearly 20,000 miles and no problems can't remember which turbo it was, but he was running 1.5 bar boost and as for the lag i dont mind it i quite like the kick in the back you get from laggy setups i'm not too sure what it's cost me so far, more than it should have but i've changed my mind several times mostly with the oil system i'm on my second pump, second oil cooler and filter head because i decided they were too small, my third oil tank and the anodised an fitttings and pipework really add up and two bottles of argon for the tig at £60 a go but like i said im just playing it beats sitting in doors watching crap on the tv though it also seems to have taken priority over me using the gym which is a pathetic excuse as its at the end of the garden

20120205_123046_zps0b57858b.jpg

damaged a gasket on the wastegate and on the backbox where they have been on and off a lot

IMAG0333_zps6c583b73.jpg

luckily i had some high temp gasket material laying around and 0ne of these

IMAG0332_zpsb6e5b7c3.jpg

(as you do) thought stuff it i'll cut my own

the first one came out so well i video'd it for you click on picture below

th_VIDEO0007_zps081865f4.jpg

and yes even my missus calls me a geek

IMAG0334_zpsd5540c35.jpg

Edited by andybp

• 2 weeks later...

had a bit of time to play this weekend so decided to fit the intercooler and make up new pipe to go from intercooler to throttle

IMAG0338_zpsfb0d5e22.jpg

fitted top (and bottom not shown) mounting brackets relocated power steering cooler

removed tank pump and pipework for headlight washers as they will be in the way of the pipework

IMAG0336_zps63cf4cbf.jpg

machined plate to take maf sensor and made up most of pipe

IMAG0344_zpsfbf79301.jpg

and then my welder started making a strange noise and blew up in my face literally so much for all those safety cutouts.

so not only is my welder completly screwed the bit of it that hit me in the face cracked the screen of my auto darkening welding mask

so while i was throwing a tantrum and smashing the rest of the welder to tiny tiny little pieces and cutting my hand open in the process

Edited by andybp

not much of an update as i had to rewire the mains in the garage as the new welder needed a 16 Amp supply

but did manage to get the maf/intake pipe finished just needs fixing brackets and cleaning up

IMAG0350_zpsa7586587.jpg

IMAG0346_zps798c0a18.jpg

need to make up pipe from end of this to the intercooler and turbo to intercooler and that should be the fabrication done

then i just need to sort out the plate at the back to protect the air filter, decide what i'm going to do about the pcv system and put it all together sounds easy if you say it quick

• Like 2

Not got much done lately the gym roofs been leaking the missus said if i didn't fix it she'd get fat and it would be all my fault i said what do you mean GET FAT and made the mistake of laughing not running she hits really hard

for a skinny little woman

managed to get the speed controller for the oil pump finished

IMAG0353_zps193c4e3e.jpg

and the new one piece maf pipe cleaned up and painted

IMAG0356_zps8a835c56.jpg

IMAG0354_zpseb487314.jpg

might get some more done thursday

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

been a bit busy lately between work and the missus no time to play.

the turbo to intercooler pipework shows up tomorrow got some time off now so may have an update over the next few days

though the weathers a bit p**s poor

added up the costs so far looks like it's gonna cost about £850-900 not including dyno time

had a little bit of time today got the intercooler fitted still got to fit bottom brackets fitted the air filter to the end while i ran it up (didn't want to suck up any passing cats or children) exhaust note was much deeper and more subtle with the intercooler in line

IMAG0374_zps9e34606e.jpg

pipework up to the inlet pretty much sorted need to get some decent 3" clips

IMAG0375_zps514d8e62.jpg

IMAG0377_zpsbd604a85.jpg

IMAG0378_zpsf5c7c653.jpg

got the turbo to intercooler pipe ready to go tomorrow if the weather and the missus will allow

IMAG0379_zps02a1b14e.jpg

Edited by andybp

got the worst part of the turbo to intercooler pipework done today really tight getting 2 1/2" through there maybe i should have gone smaller ,never mind worst part over

IMAG0380_zpsa93753b5.jpg

IMAG0383_zps40a6f99f.jpg

IMAG0384_zps65a8e4a2.jpg

IMAG0388_zps0f54ebd2.jpg

IMAG0400_zps414ba412.jpg

IMAG0398_zps729c8415.jpg

got to repair this at some point too :scare:

IMAG0391_zps65f34a44.jpg

Edited by andybp
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

so finally got the last of the bits to finish this project

3" clamps

IMAG0408_zpsb1ed7caf.jpg

Catch can and small filter so i sort out the PCV system, i'm going to vent it all the way back to a fitting between the air filter and the turbo

IMAG0406_zpsec2e695e.jpg

and the BOV undecided weather to run it loud straight to atmosphere

IMAG0404_zpsd21e5918.jpg

or through the filter which will be quieter

IMAG0405_zps61f6fb7c.jpg

also still need to finish turbo to intercooler pipe but that shouldn't be too much hassel

I'd run the bov straight to atmosphere at first to see how you like it. Had mine like that on my Impreza & sounded much better like that. ;)

yea i've run em both ways in the past find i love it to start with then after a few days i find it really annoying

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't managed to get anything done lately missus has had me painting the house what fun

can anyone confirm that these are the one heat range colder version of the standard plug

NGK Laser Platinum Spark Plugs

NGK PLFR6A-11

Thx

• 2 weeks later...

had some time to play at last

got the intake pipework and intercooler fitted

IMAG0439_zpsa3e1190d.jpg

finished welding up the last piece of the turbo to intercooler pipework

IMAG0442_zps7a9fcbea.jpg

this is it fitted running alongside the propshaft

IMAG0447_zps48b8757e.jpg

and here we are nearly finished

IMAG0456_zpsca28f2d2.jpg

IMAG0457_zps642f8e58.jpg

just need to run the switched live back for the pump and the pipe back for the crankcase ventilation which goes to the pipe between the air filter and the turbo fill the tank with oil and away we go

At last.. :drive1

• Like 1

Fantastic progress. B)

Are you going to use anything as some heat protection for the intercooler piping that runs alongside the prop/exhaust pipe? Just wondered. :dry:

no it was a struggle getting the 2 1/2" Intercooler pipework through not sure what size pipe sts used

though i suppose i could wrap the exhaust which may improve spoolup time maybe something to look into once it's up and running

Fantastic progress. B)

Are you going to use anything as some heat protection for the intercooler piping that runs alongside the prop/exhaust pipe? Just wondered. :dry:

no it was a struggle getting the 2 1/2" Intercooler pipework through not sure what size pipe sts used

though i suppose i could wrap the exhaust which may improve spoolup time maybe something to look into once it's up and running

That's what I was thinking some sort of heat wrap on the exhaust and intercooler piping. Easier to do when off the car but still doable in situ. :thumbs:

Fantastic progress. B)

That's what I was thinking some sort of heat wrap on the exhaust and intercooler piping. Easier to do when off the car but still doable in situ. :thumbs:

wouldn't want to wrap the intercooler pipe as the air flowing around the pipe itself helps reduce charge temp better just to lag the exhaust :thumbs: