I'm going to get a 350! :)

Hi guys,

New here of course and I've been looking at z's for a while now, I've decided to definitely get one when my astra sells (hopefully this week) So I was wondering weather there's anything specific to look out for when buying one, I'm looking at about the 35-40k mile mark on a 54-55 plate

Thanks,

Luke.

Look out for....

rotten exhausts

budget tyres

stone chipped front ends

curbed alloys and bubbling finish on alloys

if you can buy a car that has had the standard stereo replaced already that'll save you money as the standard stereo has several common problems that render it useless (imo)

Don't bother holding out for a model with the standard birds eye sat nav as ive read it's not up to scratch.

other than that look out for standard wear items such as worn bushes, worn discs and pads, worn tyre tread, worn leather interior and scuffed door cards (these cars are difficult to get in and out of if you are tall and the door card suffers)

the engines are pretty reliable, obviously look for a car with a full service history

some cars suffer with clicky rear axles, but nothing a dab of grease and a confident DIY'er can't sort though.

Rays alloys were an option on pre '06 cars

GT spec is nice as it adds cruise control, heated leather seats, "Bose" stereo components

Good luck with your search, there are always loads for sale, test drive a few to get a feel for the cars first.

I've read of a few other little problems to look out for are; rear boot release not working on single press, rear boot gas struts not supporting boot weight (would need new struts so simple fix), petrol release button not working properly and Bose original head unit skipping when playing CD's as Pnthrblkzs touched on. Goodluck with your search Luke 153. ;)

Just a picky little detail...They've always been standard on the UK, GT pack versions.

Otherwise, yours is a brilliantly helpful post for the guy.

Not sure about that, I think they were optional on pre 06, mine's a GT but had reversing sensors instead of RAYS. I could of course be wrong.

Chubbster, the Rays were a £1000 option on the pre 06 GT cars. Mine's an 04 GT and the tight begger that placed the initial order from Nissan didn't want to spend the additional bag o' sand, so mr GT pack car came with the touring 18 inchers.

Rays were standard post 2006.

Edited by 14N

Rays were standard post 2006.

I believe you are correct and that all 350's came with Rays as standard from 1st January 2006, this will of course include the last of the pre facelifts. I can't 100% confirm this but I have the original invoice for my Zed registered 1st Jan 2006 and while the GT pack and mudflaps are invoiced there is no mention of the Rays alloys which were fitted. I suppose that it could have been an oversight by the dealer I bought it from though :shrug: .

Pete

Thanks for the info guys, the head unit I was planning on changing for an aftermarket one anyway and the one I've been looking at has RAYS standard :) I'm really excited to get this its a big step up from my 1.9 cdti astra but being 21 now I can afford the insurance! :)

Just a picky little detail...They've always been standard on the UK, GT pack versions.

Otherwise, yours is a brilliantly helpful post for the guy.

Sorry to contradict but they were a £1000.00 option on early cars ... I know, I bought a set on my MY 2004 Gunmetal GT

Just another point regarding tyres

- avoid budgets (as mentioned)

- also ensure that tyres are correct fitting for the alloys (mine came with the 18inch touring alloys and had 235/35/18 on the rears, didn't do my homework before buying).

Other than that I can't really think of anything that hasn't already been mentioned.

Good Luck in your search.

• 4 weeks later...

That mileage criteria is quite low. These cars are almost 10 years old now so your looking at 4k a year.

There are cars out there with that mileage but its going to be a tough find! Mileage doesn't always represent condition too :)

Good luck!