selling my car to a foreign buyer

Seabee

Hey guys I recently listed my car on gum tree and had a message from an interested buyer, after a few messages and pictures he's know told me he's from switzerland, at first like most people think I thought "scam!" But the buyer has insisted its much cheaper for him to buy my car and drive it back home, he's sent me a copy of his one way ticket and ferry crossing and he will be paying cash also, am I missing something? Or do you guys think this is safe and legit? Any thoughts or past experiences would be appreciated :)

Sold my R34 to a french guy last year.

Really straight forward, he turned up when he said he would with a pile of cash & drove it back to France.

I said a few years ago that the european guys would start buying up uk zeds & this will be the third z that i know of that goes abroad in the last few weeks ;)

Sold a triumph bonneville to a guy from France.

Just made him come over at a time i could go with him to the bank to pay the cash in.

That way i knew it was real.... :D Not paranoid really... lol

As mentioned above re:paperwork : you fill out a different section of the V5 stating the vehicle has left the UK, no other difference from our point of view. I had a lot of interest when selling my previous jap cars from Europe. I can only guess that it is price and spec that lures them over.

Actually you need to give him the whole log book.

Having brought a car in from the uk myself the full book is needed. Otherwise its chasing up the dvla for the rest of it to be sent out which they end up sending the part you filled in anyway. His country will issue the dvla with an export report.

I sold my starlet gt turbo to a bloke in holand and everything went great, also a mate of mine sold his Scooby to a bloke in belgium. It works out cheaper for them buying UK cars and taking them home also not being lhd I supose most people didn't import jap cars.

Lol I hope counterfeit notes don't fool pens coz that's my idea :o

Good counterfeits can fool almost anything, take him and the cash to the bank to be sure :)

Would you check it if it was a guy from the UK? How is a Swiss more likely to have dodgy notes?? ;)

No problem at all with it, once you have the cash its in the bag :)

Excellent! Any reasons why they want UK zeds and not LHD ones? Lol

Cos they are cheaper! My mate sold his Astra Convertible to a French guy last year. Bloke flew over, paid cash & drove it back. Saved a good few thousand quid on the price they apparently cost in France.