Learning about cars...

OsakaBen

Basically I've loved performance cars since I was young. However, I'm so jelouse of other people and their knowledge of cars. People on this forum (and the majority it seems) know so much more about cars than me. And to be honest, it makes me feel like a right prat sometimes. I mean, I couldn't change the oil In my car if somebody asked me too. I couldn't change a spark plug either.

(This all stemmed from me not being able to take my calipers off to send them off for painting.)

I'm just wondering how fellow forum members gained their knowledge. Was it through study, experience or something else?

An anybody offer me any tips or advice to learning my way around simple car tasks?

Started with the basics worked from there, helped my dad as a kid when he worked on his, worked with mates when they did there's. And read lots. Also an engineer by training and education, so pick things up quickly. And never be afraid to ask a question, or ask for help.

I'm an old fart and my dad worked at Fords as a design engineer, he had me taking engines apart when I was 16, it went from there. As Dan said, it's all out there if you are prepared to search it out. Don't be put off because you think you don't know much, just keep researching and asking questions, most of all don't be intimidated by others that appear to know than do. Everybody has to start somewhere :)

An evening course is something ill definatley have to consider. My friend recommended buying an old mini with a simple engine and just tinkering with it. I just had 2 CV joints replaced on my van, cost me a fortune, if only I could of done it myself >.<

An evening course is something ill definatley have to consider. My friend recommended buying an old mini with a simple engine and just tinkering with it. I just had 2 CV joints replaced on my van, cost me a fortune, if only I could of done it myself >.<

I know how to do lots of things, but I still pay others to do the odd job. Sometimes it just makes sense, especially jobs that need a car lift

I find the Z community is amazing when it comes to technical support. You only have to see the amount of guides on the US forums to see the help that's out there.

Lots of guides combined with the prospect of saving cash motivates me :D

DON'T BUY A MINI :lol:

Sorry had to :)

I use the camera (so I know where it goes back) and dive in - started like many when I was young on scooters age 9 :thumbs:

If you have a mechanical mate ask if they want some company doing a service on their car its all good learning.

I know how to do lots of things, but I still pay others to do the odd job. Sometimes it just makes sense, especially jobs that need a car lift

I actually have 2 car lifts at my disposal at work, and I'm allowed to use them for free on evenings. I also get parts trade price....which makes it even worse :,(

Know the feeling well Osaka, never tinkered with a car in my life. Always loved seeing nicely modified cars and never thought I would modify one of my own ever. Then along came the Zed and a few meets I was hooked and felt like a right dip stick not knowing what the hell people were on about mechanics wise etc, but I have learned masses from the forum and folks off here. Need to get more hands and play around more but always worried but screwing things up and causing more issues!

IMO start with a decent tool kit, jack and axle stands. I know you have ramps but most other people dont. Its eaiser to work on a cheaper car as your less scared of messing it up. Ideally work with someone who knows what they are doing. Read, watch and learn about stuff. Know the job and tools needed for it.

Check youtube, normally there is a video of what you are trying to do and make sure you have the right tools for the job. If you have a car lift that is the best tool in the world imo, half my time is spent jacking each front side of the car up using the nissan jack as my garage is too narrow for my trolleyjack =/

I bought a wreck for £50 and took the whole thing apart and re-built it. Learnt a lot along the way. However, that was a basic Mini many years ago....the Zed is a tad more sophisticated.

Learnt other stuff often through force of circumstances - eg. with the older Westfields you needed to research in depth where all the bits came from and what they did - it was as much an issue of correct part sourcing as knowing what bits went where.

After a few years of crawling under Caterham 7s and the like I seemed to have lost the inclination :dry: I just ask Abbey to do everything now :blush:

I just bit the bullet and had a go :lol:

Using a manual is handy, and remembering which bit goes where in what order :scare:

If you want to have a bit more knowledge perhaps sign up for a motor related evening class :thumbs:

There doesn't seem to be the motor related evening classes so much now, the Zed is a 10 year+ engine most new cars now you have to plug a PC in just to open the bonnet :surrender:

Edited by spursmaddave

I was the same and still am in some departments. I love engineering and know a lot of detailed theory about a lot of interesting but pointless stuff. When it comes to taking apart your 350Z though it can seem a bit daunting at first.

Chances are that you will break stuff while you are learning if you do it on your own, so the Z is maybe not the best place to start. Probably better off getting a banger and playing with that or get someone who knows what they're doing to help you.

I find my biggest problem is getting halfway through a job, realizing i don't have the tools to finish, then putting it back together so i can drive to a friends to get the tool i need. :lol: That or unacessable or ceased up nuts and bolts. The actual mechanicaal stuff is often much simpler than you think.

• Like 1