nearly binned it

Dave172

I enjoyed this thread,

I ran mixed tyres for over a year with no problem, i attended one of the runs out and again didn't come across any problems so i'd say it's most likely road conditions for you mate. Which comes to me agreeing with most others saying you're probably driving to fast for them. I know what the roads up here can be like, i imagine if your following a landy then your likely to be on some of the nice twistie b roads we have, just take your time and think about when your going to drive fast as even the cold can cause misshaps with a powerfull RWD car.

As for his spelling and grammer, mine is awefull IMO and i've never been slated. However this guy isn't using text peak, he's using speak text. i.e he's typing in a geordie dialect.

Thats why you southern buggers can't understand him :lol::p:boxing:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you think a Zed should be able to go round corners at the same speed as a Land Rover without the stability control coming on?

Just playing devils advocate, but it depends on the conditions. The land rover will be running 4wd, and possibly have its winter tyres on. The zed may have harder compound summer tyres and is RWD. Both cars going round a cold wet roundabout at 40mph could see the zed spin out and the land rover stay planted. :shrug:

Maybe Im just shaping for a :boxing: here, but I have noticed a slightly "superior" attitude to anyone who isnt coming from a £10K+ car

This is because we don't like poor people...........they don't wash and they can't afford good quality balsamic vinegar.

Money doesn't come into it.

You people are so far up your own arses, poncing around in your sports cars. I mean why would you pay a small fortune for Blasmonic vinegar when you can mix soy sauce and Sarsons and get the same thing :lol:

Many cars on the road including some Land Rovers will have far superior handling ability/control in a number of situations than I will in my zed

Round a 60mph bend though? :shrug: I know my car pretty well but if the VDC started kicking in following any 4x4 at below the speed limit then Id be thinking something was up too ............ :)

If I hadnt experienced the VDC before (which you can tell he hadnt) then Id probably include the Landy in the story too, to show I wasnt going that fast. As everyone immediately accused him of doing.

As before, depends on the road surface, the tyres and the ammount of power being applied at the time. What were the conditions at the time of this incident?

VDC only kicks in when it detects the symptoms of understeer. This means its not down to a heavy right foot, that would have set off the TCS and cut drive to the back wheels, not fired the brakes on the front.

In my experience it would have come from liftoff oversteer halfway round the corner or going into the corner too fast in the first place, both of which are unlikely if you are following a Land Rover. :thumbs:

And if its cold and wet, what then?

Summer tyres on a cold wet surface in a bend will be far worse than winter tyres in those same conditions.

Heres a nice example of a car in slippy conditions with just tyres making the difference. It really shows just how much of an impact the type of rubber has on the handling of a vehicle:

check out 2:19 onward for the tests on a bend.

Also, arguments about the Land Rover are quite frankly irrelevant. I judge the speed I should be going through a corner on my own ability, the car's ability and the conditions rather than the speed of the person in front of me. I have twice witnessed the person in front of me write off their car and have enough sense to know two things:

i. I am able to decide for myself what is appropriate for any given stretch of the road.

ii. Many cars on the road including some Land Rovers will have far superior handling ability/control in a number of situations than I will in my zed because while I personally love my car I have the sense to know that there all cars are different and many are better for different purposes/in different situations.

This is a quality bit of advice Sasha :thumbs:

bahahahaha another classic thread :lol::snack::snack:

ps. I also currently run mixed tyres front and back and have no issues whatsoever, I think it comes down to what types of tyres you mix, the sizes and tread depth.

see you all at Japfest, looking forward to this banter face to face!! haha :lol::clap:

Heres a nice example of a car in slippy conditions with just tyres making the difference.

SRSLY?? Thats not "slippy", thats on a bloody ice rink! :lol:

Whatever, Im getting bored of this now. If you are trying to tell me that a Land Rover on any tyres, on the road travelling at 60mph will grip where a 350Z with Falkens and RE050's doesnt, in anything other than the harshest conditions then Im afraid I dont accept it. If I was following a Land Rover or any kind of 4x4 and my Zed started sliding off the road where their car didnt, Id stop immediately as something is clearly wrong.

This reminds me of the time I was saying that mixed tyres dont make you slide into ditches themselves as you actually drive to the grip thats available - IIRC I was told that was wrong, but then on this thread:

I judge the speed I should be going through a corner on my own ability, the car's ability and the conditions rather than the speed of the person in front of me.

Wont you look at that! :p;)

To be honest, (shld tht b tbh lol) I saw April 1st, school holidays, illiteracy... must be wind-up?

If it's not a wind-up, I'd hate to think the zed might get a reputation with insurers as a car of choice for the over enthusiastic newer road user - we'd all end up paying. A bit of gentle persuasion to reign it in is probably warranted. As Col said, Zug's initial comment was spot on.

Peace and love.

edit: doh!

The mixed tyre explanation from some shows how people will repeat a response, parrot style without even thinking about it as well, its not mixed tyres causing this issue. Unless mixing your tyres suddenly gives you less grip than a Land Rover, and I dont think it does.

Not causing the issue, no, but I did think about it and personally believe it might have been a contributing factor. If you went budget on the back and top-end on the front, that would be stupid, right? Surely it makes sense to have the same type front and back - not necessarily the same brand but at least the same speed rating/performance etc. Whilst driving 'normally' then granted the tyres are not under so much pressure to keep you on the road and so any imbalance will probably go unoticed. But common sense tells me that if one end of the car has more grip than the other, I'm going to have problems going round corners quickly.

But common sense tells me that if one end of the car has more grip than the other, I'm going to have problems going round corners quickly.

RE050's on the front, FK452's on the back. Place your bets, which end will go first ;)

Anyway, we really need to stop the mixed tyres one before Ekona gets here ;)

Ask anyone who went to Wales last year if they can keep up with a Landy in a Zed :wink:

We should have given that landy an honourary zed badge

And don't foget,you were all overtaken by one. :lol::lol:

As for the comment that if you don't use the zed's performance then you'd be better off with a Primera - erm why?

My zed is my pride and joy and I put a lot of time and money into her. Just because I don't floor it wherever I go and would prefer to cruise in my GT does that mean I'm not entitled to own one? Perhaps that means the Supra should go too?

I would prefer people to think "wow...nice car, obviously much loved" than "****" as I thought the other night when I saw a zed chasing another car on the motorway at (i would say) over 90mph.

I just call me Daisy :thumbs: (we need a Driving Miss Daisy smilie lol)

SRSLY?? Thats not "slippy", thats on a bloody ice rink! :lol:

Whatever, Im getting bored of this now. If you are trying to tell me that a Land Rover on any tyres, on the road travelling at 60mph will grip where a 350Z with Falkens and RE050's doesnt, in anything other than the harshest conditions then Im afraid I dont accept it. If I was following a Land Rover or any kind of 4x4 and my Zed started sliding off the road where their car didnt, Id stop immediately as something is clearly wrong.

So what if its an ice rink? It just exagerates how effective propper tyres for the condtions are.

In the wet, then the zed, on summer/sport tyres, at 60mph will have less grip than a 4wd vehicle equiped with the appropriate tyres. Choose to accept what you want.

Have we heard what the conditions were when this chap "almost binned it"? If it was a bone dry summer day, then something may be amiss.

It's quite clear to me he got a landy confused with this

On a side note, I run on falkens and they do lose grip fairly suddenly, michelins or bridgestones for me next. Yes ekona, I sort of agree with you :p

imho it's still very predictable and easy to control without tc interfering.

Not a proper one :p;)

Ask anyone who went to Wales last year if they can keep up with a Landy in a Zed :wink:

We should have given that landy an honourary zed badge

And don't foget,you were all overtaken by one. :lol::lol:

Just spent an age readin' through this thread.... :wacko: Knackered. Intense stuff lol. Tbh I just wanted to join in the fun... so... somebody was driving a bit too fast round a corner...huh?...huh?..... yeeah, thought so. :rolleyes: lol :teeth: ... sorry :blush: