5 post minimum for new threads?

http://www.350z-tech.com/wiki/index.php/

Although a number of the links are broken.

This is not created by 350z-uk so we are powerless to repair it.

As a team, we are all volunteers and we don't really have the time to create, or the money to pay for, a whole new site dedicated to a wiki type information.

Thanks for the link tough! sweet!

Advanced Search works fine for me. I think most people have problems with the normal search as it only returns posts and not threads. Maybe that should be something we look at?

Also Google has searches these pages time and time again, so it can find stuff on the site too. You just need to put "site:350z-uk.com" in the search bar (no quotes) with what you want to search and it will find it :thumbs:

Thanks for the tip, didn't know that :thumbs::)

Advanced Search works fine for me. I think most people have problems with the normal search as it only returns posts and not threads. Maybe that should be something we look at?

Also Google has searches these pages time and time again, so it can find stuff on the site too. You just need to put "site:350z-uk.com" in the search bar (no quotes) with what you want to search and it will find it :thumbs:

Funnily enough Google quite often finds stuff better than the built in search of the site. Not supprising when you compare a multimillion (billion?) dollar search giant vs some open source coders who do it in their spare time ;):lol:

When I first joined the forum I had never been on one in my life. I posted in the chat room, that was part of the site at the time, & when nothing happened realised that I would have to do it somewhere else. Posted my introduction in JDM, again because I didn't understand how it all worked. Now I am not an idiot/muppett or lazy, just somebody who needed to find his way around the site. I didn't ask any questions at the time, as I didn't have any, but fully understand those that do who expect enthusiasts to be keen to answer them. Some ask, having said they have tried to find the answers by using the Search button, but have been unable to find what they want. I still find the Search difficult to use, probably because I use it very infrequently. My ethos is, if I don't know the answer or it has been asked loads of times, then I don't post. Quite often somebody being helpful, or with an interest in the topic, will provide an answer. That to me is what this forum is about and do not see any need to bad mouth anybody. Just my opinion of course.

Good post :thumbs:

A little explanation from a Mod that loves this place. But if its I.C.E. related question no use asking me. :surrender: I bought my ZEDs to enjoy the music they make and still do 6 years on :teeth:

To the point, no argument that the search function does not always deliver, but as said by others the advanced/google normally gets there. Quite often though I know the question has been asked/answered before but despite trawling through several possible sources to help the member it will escape my detection, but then someone else will often find or know the answer. I have to agree though it is not as user-friendly as maybe it could be and something I am sure the team can look at for improvement, as Chris'I mentions:

A great help is that new threads are posted in the correct section/sub forum - as we find a fair number arn't and while we will move those we spot that are wrongly placed some slip through the net which mean the search may not pick them up. ;)

But I am conscious that for many who join the forum, it is their first experience of using one and sharing thoughts with what are usually complete strangers can be daunting for many (like Maccaman and myself for example many years ago). Some are clearly experienced internet/forum users but unfortunately have not used the search function on here to any extent and that will attract comments (from members and moderators alike) that we are not their dog-bodies when it comes to basic queries that have been answered hundreds of times before. Having just bought a ZED and a new member then telling us they know better than the answers given to their questions, will also get short shrift. So will 'text' language and/or those whose spelling is so bad it becomes virtually unreadable. :dry:

But I do wonder if the greater use of smart phones is responsible for what is seemingly an increase of late of postings that are poorly written or have not used the search function - maybe (as I don't have to use one working from home) because they are not so manageable as desktops and/or time/place discouarges searching on phones?

We all pay nothing to join and stay on this forum, which largely relys on Traders fees, donations and volunteers to keep it going. But that income ain't going to pay for a search function as good as Google and its likes, so while we are here to help you we would also ask that you help us to keep this forum manageable and that it continues to be the best place in the UK for info etc on 350/370 ZEDs :thumbs:

Why not spilt the sections to factual (where people cant comment but has the answers to questions or advice on fault finding) and social (that's linked to the factual but people can talk about it and pass there opinion on it).

Then if the search bar can be modified so you can choose between what you want ie factual or social.

This Would remove all the excess convo's in the searches and would take you straight to the answers therefore reducing questions being re-asked .

Are you volunteering to go through all 56487 threads then to decide which ones are social and which ones are factual? ;)

Tbh there's no need for any changes that I can see, the search does have all the answers if you've got a bit about you to use it properly.

What about if there was a section on each thread for people to vote on how helpful it is, then when people search for a certain word or phrase the results are arranged in order of relevance and helpfulness.

Obviously that would not solve the issue immediately as it would take time for the votes to pile up onto the helpful threads but it would certainly help people find what they are looking for easier once some threads have gained a few votes.

I'm not sure how easy this would be to do and I'm sure everyone appreciates that the admins and mods do this in thier spare time but I just thought it would improve the search function a lot if it were possible.

As already mentioned you can't make people use the search function but for those people who are willing to try it may use it more if it helps them the first time they use it and Word should catch on too

I once done a post and one of my replies was to use the search function and although I didn't say anything at the time, as I didn't want I to turn into a discussion, I did use the search function first and couldn't find what I was looking for in the first 5 pages and so asked the question instead.

What I'm basically getting at is I'm sure the problem wouldn't be so bad if the search function was a bit more helpful

If people use the advanced search function, and search for their words in "topics only" this massively helps the usefullness of the search and it works how it should.

What would also help the search function would be for people to TITLE THEIR THREADS BETTER!

Instead of just saying "HELP!" why not give a little more information on what you want help with in the title.

If people use the advanced search function, and search for their words in "topics only" this massively helps the usefullness of the search and it works how it should.

What would also help the search function would be for people to TITLE THEIR THREADS BETTER!

Instead of just saying "HELP!" why not give a little more information on what you want help with in the title.

Fair points, but in defence of those new to the forum and genuinely getting stuck (like Jayp350z) I think we have to accept the search function can be somewhat hit and miss. If within the limited resources (money and admins time) improvements can be found then I am sure they will be provided :thumbs:

Biggest problem is that the forum software (phpBB) isnt easily extensible. Sure most of the ideas are doable but with the Olympics on the horizon, I think my employers have a more pressing demand for my coding skills than this place :blush:

There may be a mod to allow for threads to be rated, I'll see if I can find that. The other ideas all seem like a lot of effort and will cause massive headaches when phpBB release updates as our hacks will cause the updates to fail.

When I first joined the forum I had never been on one in my life. I posted in the chat room, that was part of the site at the time, & when nothing happened realised that I would have to do it somewhere else. Posted my introduction in JDM, again because I didn't understand how it all worked. Now I am not an idiot/muppett or lazy, just somebody who needed to find his way around the site. I didn't ask any questions at the time, as I didn't have any, but fully understand those that do who expect enthusiasts to be keen to answer them. Some ask, having said they have tried to find the answers by using the Search button, but have been unable to find what they want. I still find the Search difficult to use, probably because I use it very infrequently. My ethos is, if I don't know the answer or it has been asked loads of times, then I don't post. Quite often somebody being helpful, or with an interest in the topic, will provide an answer. That to me is what this forum is about and do not see any need to bad mouth anybody. Just my opinion of course.

Like Maccaman i had never even looked at a forum, never mind joined one. I also made a number of mistakes when i joined, and still do on occasions. If i had received discouraging comments when i joined i may well have been put off altogether, but that was not the case.

I understand that it can be a bit frustrating for Mods, but Newbies could be in a bit of a fog,(i was) joining in on a new forum and the added excitement/enthusiasm of being the proud owner of a great car. I think new forum members should be encouraged not discouraged, after all they have made two great decisions, buying a Zed and coming to the 350z & 370z Owners Club forum.

• 8 months later...

Thats because the majority of noobs are idiots & are too lazy to actually search for anything themselves ;)

Ooo harsh. I'm sure most noobs are just wanting to break the ice get talking with other members.

Edit: sorry just notice this is a very old thread, typical noob error

Edited by Sharpen

• 4 months later...

I know this an old thread, but I'm a noob so I hope you don't mind me chucking in my two cents to give a slightly different spin on things.

Although I'm a partial IT geek and work in IT, I never joined a web forum before. I used them to find IT fixes via google, got the fix I needed, left, never went back, never joined. I'd read so many comments and replies of "shut up noob you idiot", "why don't you know this already?", etc etc. So when I decided to join I expected the same here :scare: (I suspect IT geek forums are a little less tolerant of people asking daft/repeat questions than the Zed community here, IMHO).

I couldn't have been more wrong in my preconceptions, the patience (as well as nudges toward the search) by members made me feel more confident about using the site, which is how I got familiar with the nuances of the Search and the Site Map. I've learnt so much because people were nice to me on Day 1 when I signed up and asked about buying a Zed. If I had been required to post 5 times to ask my first question I would have either posted 5 spams (no use to anyone) or simply gone elsewhere. I personally was a bit intimidated making my first posts :blush: particularly on threads which have been started by way more experienced and knowledgable people than me. I truly believe the great response I got on here directly impacted my decision to buy a Zed, I was so close to getting a RX-8 instead, and now so glad I didn't!

I have learnt by reading this site, it's whetted my appetite for more and more info. I now have a shed full of detailing products I had never head of on New Year's Day. I found out a non-mechanic could go in and change a gear knob or gaiter and give my car a little bit of personal touch over the OEM stuff. I've learnt to tell my insurance company about non-standard add ons. That you can use something called plastidip to repair scratched trim. This weekend I am getting a dremel and attacking the front speaker grills to open up their sound. This place allowed me to ask questions I would have felt stupid doing in a car dealership or garage, and get responses from someone I know doesn't have an agenda and from people who might have posted 2000 times (so you know they have real experience).

Anyway, banged on enough now, sorry to go on - just wanted to give the forum and members some love and show that giving a noob an easy(ish) ride to begin with is a bit special on the internet nowadays and makes all the difference. :teeth:

PS - the search is better than the one on my work intranet, and we have over 100,000 PCs and a mutlibillion budget.

• Like 1