5 post minimum for new threads?

Hi All,

Just a thought, might it be an idea to have a 5 post minimum before being able to start a new thread in anything other than 'Introductions and Welcomes'? Might stop people joining and then straightaway asking 'What tyres are best for the zed?' or 'how do i get 400bhp from my zed?' or some other heavily answered question?

You could even have a standard error message that comes up if a very new member tries to start a new thread, something along the lines of 'If you have a question that might have been asked before, please use the SEARCH button top right'

It seems half of the new members on here start with a question, and the first reply is always 'please use the search button' which might not be the friendliest first reply.... if there was a way of preventing the post in the first place it would save a lot of repeated questions!

Just my two cents :thumbs:

I think what would be useful, would be an automated (inbox PM) welcome message to new users- where the search button is, the fact there are hundreds of threads relating to tyre choice, why not to use 95ron, etc.... If something like this were introduced, maybe, new members will think about what and where they are posting and avoid the flaming some have been receiving from more experienced members over the last couple of weeks.

I know how frustrating it is when you are answering the qame question for the umpteenth time in a day (I work in retail so all i hear is "where will i get a trolley?" OUTSIDE :bang: , "How much is this?" READ THE F!£&ing ticket :bang: ), but it seems there has been a lack of tolerence and a fair bit of hostility towards newbies recently on the forum. :shrug: Not what i would call a great advert for a family friendly forum.

I think what would be useful, would be an automated (inbox PM) welcome message to new users- where the search button is, the fact there are hundreds of threads relating to tyre choice, why not to use 95ron, etc.... If something like this were introduced, maybe, new members will think about what and where they are posting and avoid the flaming some have been receiving from more experienced members over the last couple of weeks.

I know how frustrating it is when you are answering the qame question for the umpteenth time in a day (I work in retail so all i hear is "where will i get a trolley?" OUTSIDE :bang: , "How much is this?" READ THE F!£&ing ticket :bang: ), but it seems there has been a lack of tolerence and a fair bit of hostility towards newbies recently on the forum. :shrug: Not what i would call a great advert for a family friendly forum.

I don't think we've seen anything of the flaming that isn't justified, and certainly nowhere near the vitriol that can be directed at folks on some US-based sites (and certain parts of PH, come to that). I can only speak for myself here, but personally I wouldn't want to be part of a forum that actively encourages lazy idiots to be a part of it. That's essentially what you're talking about, people who are too lazy or too stupid to ingratiate themselves correctly into a well-established community.

It's the equivalent of a complete stranger walking into your favourite pub and yelling as loudly as possible "CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE THE TOILETS ARE AND ALSO WHAT DRINK GOES BEST WITH THE CURRY AND CAN SOMEONE BRING IT TO MY TABLE NOW!". You wouldn't call that acceptable there, so why should it be different here? All any newcomer has to do is look around the screen , at least try the search and have a read of a few threads to get the idea of how the place works: It's not rocket science. We get a good 20-ish people signing up every week at least, and 99% of them are capable of doing a Welcome post and being polite, so why should we make special allowances for those who just can't be bothered?

There's flaming, and then there's gentle ribbing trying to get people to understand how this place works. We get very, very little of the former, and the latter is only allowed where it's deserved.

IIRC we did implement a new "welcome" email which details the most popular sections and also points to the FAQ area. Most members on here wont have seen it as its only about 6 months old, but we did tart it up. So its similar to a PM, but my guess is newbies just dont read it :shrug:

I don't think we've seen anything of the flaming that isn't justified, and certainly nowhere near the vitriol that can be directed at folks on some US-based sites (and certain parts of PH, come to that). I can only speak for myself here, but personally I wouldn't want to be part of a forum that actively encourages lazy idiots to be a part of it. That's essentially what you're talking about, people who are too lazy or too stupid to ingratiate themselves correctly into a well-established community.

It's the equivalent of a complete stranger walking into your favourite pub and yelling as loudly as possible "CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE THE TOILETS ARE AND ALSO WHAT DRINK GOES BEST WITH THE CURRY AND CAN SOMEONE BRING IT TO MY TABLE NOW!". You wouldn't call that acceptable there, so why should it be different here? All any newcomer has to do is look around the screen , at least try the search and have a read of a few threads to get the idea of how the place works: It's not rocket science. We get a good 20-ish people signing up every week at least, and 99% of them are capable of doing a Welcome post and being polite, so why should we make special allowances for those who just can't be bothered?

There's flaming, and then there's gentle ribbing trying to get people to understand how this place works. We get very, very little of the former, and the latter is only allowed where it's deserved.

Dan, i agree 100% this is still quite tame compared to other forums :thumbs: and still a very friendly place with a good bit of banter. I'm NOT encouraging laziness either. However i'm also aware that there will be members (new and old) who may not be 100% sure of how it all works, may be a computer newbie, reading difficulties...... If, a new member joined but was dislexic, there currently seems to be a trend to give a "ribbing" for spelling and grammar errors, said new member might take that personally and just not bother coming back. For example I have an old friend (43 year old) who still can't tell the time using "analogue", but now works for the Canadian Government as an IT programmer. He still gets embarrassed when people ask him about it, but it's some form of dislexia.

Edited to correct spelling

I was only thinking about this today and how frustrating it is.......but then I remembered when I first came on here and didn't know much.

I tried not to ask but I did find the search really pony until you work out its idiocendooodaahs (because I can't spell idiosyncrasies)

I totally agree with Gball1973...

I knew there was a 5 post approval minimum, but if thats the case, then if someones first post is 'what tyres are best for my zed?' with no other introduction at all, then i dont think that post should be approved, rather a polite message sent to the sender saying 'please use the search function' and 'please make sure your question hasnt been covered by numerous other topics before'

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=58018

springs to mind as an example of this.

Im not sure 99% of members do post an introduction message first, it seems to be about 50/50 whether the first post is a meaningful introduction or a question thats been asked a million times before.

Maybe a clampdown on new post approval might be in order? we keep saying all these new posts for questions already answered makes it even harder to find the right answer by using the search, i just think that these kind of posts should not be approved in the first place?

We don't want to do that as it comes accross as us not making people feel welcome on their first post.

I'd much rather approve the post, and have a comment in the thread and then let people make their welcomes etc to make the new guy feel welcomed.

Some sites (SELOC for example) seem to reduce the level of this recurring question issue by having a Techwiki section arranged by model type, then technical - e.g. brakes, induction etc laid out in Wiki fashion - as part of the main menu.

We don't want to do that as it comes accross as us not making people feel welcome on their first post.

Al, i think you've maybe misunderstood what i have suggested. What i suggest is this: When a new member registers - upon clicking the final button for registration, the site automatically re-directs to a welcome/hints and tips page.

Maybe something along the lines of "Welcome to http://www.350z-uk.com the UKs premier owner/enthusiasts site. Before you begin joining in the fun here's a few tips to help you on your way;

1. We have a lot of members that have extensive knowledge covering everthing from Strange noises, where to service, tyre choice to upgrading to over 600bhp. If you require information of this kind, please use the search function before posting a new thread (Search function at the top right corner of the page). You're Question may have already been answered

2 ........

3 ........

My comment wasn't in response to what you said, it was to the OP :thumbs:

And as Chris said, new members do get an email with exactly that information in it. But we cannot make people read and follow it :shrug:

I have no problem with letting people know to use the search function, im just thinking it makes the search less and less efficient as you have to sift through lots of posts before you get to the answers you want!

Its a vicious circle - the more posts there are that ask the same questions, the harder the search is to use, so people give up on the search and thus make more posts that ask the same questions.

Maybe once threads have reached a conclusion they could be deleted to keep the search clear?

When I first joined the forum I had never been on one in my life. I posted in the chat room, that was part of the site at the time, & when nothing happened realised that I would have to do it somewhere else. Posted my introduction in JDM, again because I didn't understand how it all worked. Now I am not an idiot/muppett or lazy, just somebody who needed to find his way around the site. I didn't ask any questions at the time, as I didn't have any, but fully understand those that do who expect enthusiasts to be keen to answer them. Some ask, having said they have tried to find the answers by using the Search button, but have been unable to find what they want. I still find the Search difficult to use, probably because I use it very infrequently. My ethos is, if I don't know the answer or it has been asked loads of times, then I don't post. Quite often somebody being helpful, or with an interest in the topic, will provide an answer. That to me is what this forum is about and do not see any need to bad mouth anybody. Just my opinion of course.

I have no problem with letting people know to use the search function, im just thinking it makes the search less and less efficient as you have to sift through lots of posts before you get to the answers you want!

Its a vicious circle - the more posts there are that ask the same questions, the harder the search is to use, so people give up on the search and thus make more posts that ask the same questions.

Maybe once threads have reached a conclusion they could be deleted to keep the search clear?

If anything they should be put into an archive so that people can just go and search the archives for it. If we delete it then the next person has to go thhrough it all again

When I first joined the forum I had never been on one in my life. I posted in the chat room, that was part of the site at the time, & when nothing happened realised that I would have to do it somewhere else. Posted my introduction in JDM, again because I didn't understand how it all worked. Now I am not an idiot/muppett or lazy, just somebody who needed to find his way around the site. I didn't ask any questions at the time, as I didn't have any, but fully understand those that do who expect enthusiasts to be keen to answer them. Some ask, having said they have tried to find the answers by using the Search button, but have been unable to find what they want. I still find the Search difficult to use, probably because I use it very infrequently. My ethos is, if I don't know the answer or it has been asked loads of times, then I don't post. Quite often somebody being helpful, or with an interest in the topic, will provide an answer. That to me is what this forum is about and do not see any need to bad mouth anybody. Just my opinion of course.

Agree 100% especially as the search function is a pile of dogs giblets!

Show me a forum search function that is easy and effective to use......no forum I frequent has one.

The advanced search function of this one is pretty good if you are looking for something specific and have a fair idea which part of the forum you should be searching in.

http://www.350z-tech.com/wiki/index.php/

Although a number of the links are broken.

This is not created by 350z-uk so we are powerless to repair it.

As a team, we are all volunteers and we don't really have the time to create, or the money to pay for, a whole new site dedicated to a wiki type information.