5 post minimum for new threads?

I know this an old thread, but I'm a noob so I hope you don't mind me chucking in my two cents to give a slightly different spin on things.

Although I'm a partial IT geek and work in IT, I never joined a web forum before. I used them to find IT fixes via google, got the fix I needed, left, never went back, never joined. I'd read so many comments and replies of "shut up noob you idiot", "why don't you know this already?", etc etc. So when I decided to join I expected the same here :scare: (I suspect IT geek forums are a little less tolerant of people asking daft/repeat questions than the Zed community here, IMHO).

I couldn't have been more wrong in my preconceptions, the patience (as well as nudges toward the search) by members made me feel more confident about using the site, which is how I got familiar with the nuances of the Search and the Site Map. I've learnt so much because people were nice to me on Day 1 when I signed up and asked about buying a Zed. If I had been required to post 5 times to ask my first question I would have either posted 5 spams (no use to anyone) or simply gone elsewhere. I personally was a bit intimidated making my first posts :blush: particularly on threads which have been started by way more experienced and knowledgable people than me. I truly believe the great response I got on here directly impacted my decision to buy a Zed, I was so close to getting a RX-8 instead, and now so glad I didn't!

I have learnt by reading this site, it's whetted my appetite for more and more info. I now have a shed full of detailing products I had never head of on New Year's Day. I found out a non-mechanic could go in and change a gear knob or gaiter and give my car a little bit of personal touch over the OEM stuff. I've learnt to tell my insurance company about non-standard add ons. That you can use something called plastidip to repair scratched trim. This weekend I am getting a dremel and attacking the front speaker grills to open up their sound. This place allowed me to ask questions I would have felt stupid doing in a car dealership or garage, and get responses from someone I know doesn't have an agenda and from people who might have posted 2000 times (so you know they have real experience).

Anyway, banged on enough now, sorry to go on - just wanted to give the forum and members some love and show that giving a noob an easy(ish) ride to begin with is a bit special on the internet nowadays and makes all the difference. :teeth:

PS - the search is better than the one on my work intranet, and we have over 100,000 PCs and a mutlibillion budget.

Well said mate, everyone can learn something from anyone!

I know this an old thread, but I'm a noob so I hope you don't mind me chucking in my two cents to give a slightly different spin on things.

Although I'm a partial IT geek and work in IT, I never joined a web forum before. I used them to find IT fixes via google, got the fix I needed, left, never went back, never joined. I'd read so many comments and replies of "shut up noob you idiot", "why don't you know this already?", etc etc. So when I decided to join I expected the same here :scare: (I suspect IT geek forums are a little less tolerant of people asking daft/repeat questions than the Zed community here, IMHO).

I couldn't have been more wrong in my preconceptions, the patience (as well as nudges toward the search) by members made me feel more confident about using the site, which is how I got familiar with the nuances of the Search and the Site Map. I've learnt so much because people were nice to me on Day 1 when I signed up and asked about buying a Zed. If I had been required to post 5 times to ask my first question I would have either posted 5 spams (no use to anyone) or simply gone elsewhere. I personally was a bit intimidated making my first posts :blush: particularly on threads which have been started by way more experienced and knowledgable people than me. I truly believe the great response I got on here directly impacted my decision to buy a Zed, I was so close to getting a RX-8 instead, and now so glad I didn't!

I have learnt by reading this site, it's whetted my appetite for more and more info. I now have a shed full of detailing products I had never head of on New Year's Day. I found out a non-mechanic could go in and change a gear knob or gaiter and give my car a little bit of personal touch over the OEM stuff. I've learnt to tell my insurance company about non-standard add ons. That you can use something called plastidip to repair scratched trim. This weekend I am getting a dremel and attacking the front speaker grills to open up their sound. This place allowed me to ask questions I would have felt stupid doing in a car dealership or garage, and get responses from someone I know doesn't have an agenda and from people who might have posted 2000 times (so you know they have real experience).

Anyway, banged on enough now, sorry to go on - just wanted to give the forum and members some love and show that giving a noob an easy(ish) ride to begin with is a bit special on the internet nowadays and makes all the difference. :teeth:

PS - the search is better than the one on my work intranet, and we have over 100,000 PCs and a mutlibillion budget.

Well said mate, everyone can learn something from anyone!

A new Mod in the making:)