So how do I work out the BHP at the wheel?

The Bounty Bar Kid

I've got a 2008 350z (HR). I take it that bhp at the fly stock is 313. That's what they state. Or is that bhp measured somewhere else. I don't really understand all this stuff yet. Car was remapped by previous owner.

Anyways I have 282.4bhp at the hub (I assume as it was a remap at Abbey and that is the figure in the box) and 248.1 lbft. Is this good/bad??? Also how would I convert this to the bhp that car manufacturers and magazines use. That will help me visualise the increase as I am used to hearing those figures all the time.

Dunno if this makes sense, I know to me it doesn't. Lol.

Ok so where is the bhp measured from that gives 313???

Then where is the bhp measured from that is given on Abbey Motorsport's Dynopack readout?

And lastly how do you convert one to the other so that I can relate to it.

Only used to the bhp measurements that car manufacturers quote.

Its at the flywheel.

Hubs or wheels not sure but Im sure you said hubs so it will be hubs.

You take away transmission losses. I dont know what they are.

Manufacturers mostly say cars make more power than what they do. Your car isnt 313bhp though is it its 309bhp ;) 313ps. You see they have mislead you already.

Abbey measure at the hub.

Manufacturers quote at the flywheel which is higher as it doesnt account for trasmission losses.

Abbey quote rough figures of 30HP transmission losses on manual 350z.

Your car is a 309HP/fly or 313PS.

~280HP@hub equates to ~310@fly which is bang on for you. Manufacturers normally quote higher figures than most achive, so thats pretty good :thumbs:

Hope that helps :)

Abbey measure at the hub.

Manufacturers quote at the flywheel which is higher as it doesnt account for trasmission losses.

Abbey quote rough figures of 30HP transmission losses on manual 350z.

Your car is a 309HP/fly or 313PS.

~280HP@hub equates to ~310@fly which is bang on for you. Manufacturers normally quote higher figures than most achive, so thats pretty good :thumbs:

Hope that helps :)

+1 and the HP figure you have will likely to have been helped by the Borla Exhaust system and different panel filters, compared to standard, as I assuming the uprev was done after they were fitted. ;)

I would actually add 35/40 bh to the hub figure to get an estimated flywheel figure , but as people have said on here getting a flywheel figure is always a guess as the only way to get a proper flywheel figure is to take the engine out and dyno it on a engine dyno;

All the dyno that give a flywheel figure add a percentage onto the wheel figure which has been discussed so many times on so many forums which I feel isnt correct, the main thing to take notice off is the figure the car started with to the figure the car ended up after tuning that is what I always take notice off basically area under the graph more area under the graph is always better.

All the dyno that give a flywheel figure add a percentage onto the wheel figure which has been discussed so many times on so many forums which I feel isnt correct, the main thing to take notice off is the figure the car started with to the figure the car ended up after tuning that is what I always take notice off basically area under the graph more area under the graph is laway better.

This x 1000000000

Numbers alone are just a p*ssing contest with your mates down the pub, the important thing is the difference between the start figure and the end figure, wherever in the rev range you want to look. :thumbs:

All the dyno that give a flywheel figure add a percentage onto the wheel figure which has been discussed so many times on so many forums which I feel isnt correct, the main thing to take notice off is the figure the car started with to the figure the car ended up after tuning that is what I always take notice off basically area under the graph more area under the graph is laway better.

This x 1000000000

Numbers alone are just a p*ssing contest with your mates down the pub, the important thing is the difference between the start figure and the end figure, wherever in the rev range you want to look. :thumbs:

Always fun to do the usual hub/wheel HP x 1.15 (or 1.18) to get yourself some nice numbers depending on how much your ego needs massaging :lol:

• 11 months later...

20% loss??? what have you been filling your gearbox up with to do that!!!!

Mortar mix!

Will that stop the clutch rattle in mine ????

:lol:

No I think you need to add jelly to do that!

Not sure what flavour is best tho, feedback welcome...

I was always led to believe that flywheel horsepower less 20% gave you the horsepower at the wheels. Therefore 313 flywheel horsepower less 20% gives you 250 horsepower at the rear wheels.

Just to be clear - see Chris'I's post above, the HR engined 350 from the factory is 309BHP, not 313 that is the PS figure (quoted to confuse - which it has again :lol:)

I gather PS is the metric version of BHP (which is imperial based) hence why it is used by the industry and as it implies a greater power output than is the case so it is not surprising motor manufacturers will be quite happy to quote that. :stir:

PS is the German version of HP, stands for Pferdestärke, but their Euro-donkeys aren't as potent as our mighty British steeds, so you get a bigger figure.

1 BHP = 1.014 PS

The metric measure is actually boring old kW, but they're really disappointing:

1 BHP = 0.746 kW

So you can see why the manufacturers quote PS as it makes it look bigger.

The How to Guide for calculating BHP on a car

Step 1

using a ruler measure ones gentleman vegatable; make sure to measure in imperial, then round up to the nearest unit

Step 2

Randomly pick a number and add this to the first number

step 3

times this new figure by your shoe size

step 4

using the power of 3 multiply your last answer by 3

This is your BHP figure, you can quote this down the pubs and tell all your mates :thumbs:

alternativly go and put it on a dyno and measure it before and after any work for real world gains.