The 2012 F1 Chat Thread

CaptainSensible

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't watched any Sky coverage yet, what do you think of it so far guys? :)

Pretty good, Qualifying was uninterrupted but quite a few adverts during practice, although to be fair there were plenty of times when nothing was really going on. I'm guessing there'll be a lot of adverts in the pre race show but I'm not getting up until 5.45 so I'll miss most of that :D . The team is pretty well balanced and no more of the annoying Eddie Jordan :) . I tried a few of the red button gizmos out during practise and they look pretty good, lots of info and views available. The gadget attached to the widescreen/touchscreen TV that little Anthony Davison was using was pretty neat too. So far, so good but let's see how the race goes.

Pete

I love F1 but I refuse to pay Sky £30 a month to watch it live. Guess I will just have to find a pub showing it :thumbs:

RTL on 19.2 degrees east and FTA but in German. ;)

Top idea. Listen to the live commentary on BBC Radio. :)

+1, why couldn't he speak without sounding like a 16 year old who'd never seen an F1 car before :shrug::thumbdown:

I miss the Brundle and Coulthard partnership.

+1 they were perfect, and jake was good too. I really dislike this sky team. The main commentator just would not shut up!

I miss the Brundle and Coulthard partnership.

+1 Just watched the re-run, not too sure of the commentary team :shrug:

Also.... Just spoken to No1 in BC and every race is on and its free :yahoo::p

The main commentator just would not shut up!

Yeah, he got a bit over excited at times. He also missed a few things, got some of the drivers mixed up, we'll have to give him some time. It's not an easy job, both Legard and Allen were crucified on some of the F1 forums I subscribe to, not much love for The Auusie or American commentators either.

Pete

Faultless drive by JB :clap:

Shame LH wasn't prepared to fully share the team's celebrations.

Good to see Williams bouncing back with strong cars but Maldonardo needs to tidy his driving - I bet Patrick Head will be bending his ear :lol:

But kinda feel the RB team will still take some beating in future races, eh Daryl ;)

Shame LH wasn't prepared to fully share the team's celebrations.

Agree with this. I can understand he was disappointed not to get second (or perhaps even win) but on balance he now knows he has a great car forthe rest of the season which is a massive positive. Cheers up Lewis!

Great result, and loving the HD feed from Sky B)

Didn't the beeb have HD last year?? Or am I missing the point of that comment?

They did, but the Sky HD is much clearer than the BBC HD.

+1 I noticed that too B)

Great result, and loving the HD feed from Sky B)

Didn't the beeb have HD last year?? Or am I missing the point of that comment?

Superior quality chap. I did see the explanation a while ago on PH - I think it was an upscaling / compression thing.

Sky/BBC should have exactly the same HD feed of the race, so I'd love to see the tech specs of it as BBC HD has been far superior to Sky in my eye in the past. Wouldnt supprice me if Sky post process their HD feed to make it "look" better while actually just making it less real. Just like you get in P&S cameras when they sharpen and over-saturate images to give them more pop.

Actually thinking about it, are you guys comparing Sky HD to BBC HD both on Sky? Thats not really fair as Sky may downsample the BBCs actual feed when broadcasting it. The comparison I've done before is Sky HD vs BBC HD where BBC HD is on FreeSat.

Never done that comparison as I haven't had access to the right equipment, but interesting idea. That said, BBC HD looks better than a lot of other HD channels on Sky HD anyway, so I suspect any downsampling to be minor. It's like buying a new TV, you can go into the shop and compare them all side by side and see which one is best, but when you get it home you're only direct comparison is the TV you had before and it will always look better than that one.

The give away to me on Sky is usually the halo you get when watching football on their channels, especially their SD channels, they looked horrible. To be fair though I've not watched any Sky footage for about 6 months so it may all be better now. ITV HD also used to be pretty pish, but they seem to be better now.

Wish they'd just sort out a proper spec for this stuff rather than having recommendations of bitrates and resolutions :thumbdown:

BBC HD isnt downscaled on Sky, you can see from the nature programmes, Sky just has a better quality broadcast. ITV HD until very recently used to look worse than SD on Sky channels for the same reason :bangin:

As Ive said elsewhere, you have to bear in mind that this is the 4th year BBC have been doing this, and that Sunday was Skys first programme. I reckon by midseason everyone will have forgotten all about the BBC coverage, like they have done with Football, Cricket, Snooker, Darts, Golf and anything else Sky have got their hands on :)

Button! Woop!! :yahoo:

Thoroughly enjoyed watching on Sky (although agreed that the new presenters are boring as hell!).

Would've been even better if I hadn't heard who'd won on the radio earlier! :rant:

McLaren seem to have nailed it the start of this year, good to see them go their own way instead of trying to catch up with other teams innovations.

Shows they have pace when Vettel was trying to catch up and Button maintained the gap and then posted a fastest lap near the end to put 'the finger' in his place! :thumbs:

Not downscaled as that wouldnt be HD then ;) Downsampled or lower bitrate will reduce the quality but not the resolution. Sky used to have terribly low bitrates so they could fit in more channels. Its why you got the lovely halo around players on the football games that looked so crap. Was much the same when they first did HD games too, it was in HD resolution, but quite blocky and halos because of low bitrate.

Thats why they need an official spec for these things. I think on Freeview there is a guarenteed bitrate and resolution but on Satellite (FreeSat or Sky) they just have to conform to the right resolution and not bitrate. As bandwidth costs them more money on satellite, they try to lower the bitrate as much as possible :thumbdown: