The 2012 F1 Chat Thread

CaptainSensible

It's perhaps a little early for this, but I for one have found the latest driver merry go round pretty interesting.

Quite surprised about Torro Rosso dropping both drivers for next year and bringing in new blood. I would have expected them to keep Alguersuari, he put in some good performances last season.

Really pleased that FI are keeping Di Resta. I think he had a good rookie season but he will really need to pull out the stops next season to show his worth. His performance in DTM show he's got what it takes to be one of the top drivers in F1, but then again there's been quite a few drivers who've been sucessful in other series who have struggled to shine in F1. We'll have to see.

All in all its shaping up to be promising season, especially with the return of Kimi. I suspect the performance of the top cars will all be a lot closer, which should make the WDC all the more interesting. I still think SV will win though.

Anyway that's enough of my ramblings for now. It's a shame only half the races will be shown live on the BBC, but I'll still be watching.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know what's happened to Rubens? Nothing confirmed last time I checked. Glad about Di Resta, good decision by FI :thumbs: he's had a good rookie season as said and I think he has a lot more to offer.

I reckon Rules is done in F1, Sutil has got the be the favourite for his Williams seat. Unless Sutil signs for Lotus (pretty unlikely), then he could just live to fight another day...

Anyone know what's happened to Rubens? Nothing confirmed last time I checked. Glad about Di Resta, good decision by FI :thumbs: he's had a good rookie season as said and I think he has a lot more to offer.

I reckon Rules is done in F1, Sutil has got the be the favourite for his Williams seat. Unless Sutil signs for Lotus (pretty unlikely), then he could just live to fight another day...

In all seriousness,Rubens needs to retire. Hes not a quick as he was,and yes he has years of experience,but he would be better off taking a technical job at a team,helping set up etc and consulting. He has alot to offer,just not behind the wheel anymore.

• 1 month later...

Thought id bring this abit up to date now that launches are taking place. Im waiting to see proper pics of the Caterham,not the dark, press release photos.

The McLaren is certainly a strange one,be interesting to see how they approach the nose situation,or maybe they have. The max height for the chassis is higher than the permitted max height of the nosebox,thats why there is a step on the Caterham car. It appears that McLaren are either launching with last years nose box on the car,or are running a chassis thats alot lower than is permitted by the regs. Their exhaust area is also interesting,as the bulge where they are at the minute looks almost gobbed on,so will be keeping an eye on that come testing and the race. Not to mention them abandoning the the L shaped side pods from last year. Rumour has it they had to be that shape to take the octopus exhaust that they launched with,that they couldnt get to work. Im looking forward to seeing the Ferrari and Force India on Friday.....

Yeah, took a look at pictures of the new McLaren and it doesn't look too radical, let's see how it goes in testing. Apparently Ferrari and Lotus-Renault have had to abandon the ride height adjuster they were working on when the FIA declared it illegal after first saying it was O.K. First test start next week, wonder if Sky will have any coverage?

Pete

In all fairness,i could only see that going one way. I couldnt ever see that sort of thing being made legal. Maybe if it had been kept under wraps,it would have lasted a few races,but it would have ended up people developing active suspension like what Williams did in the 90s.

First test start next week, wonder if Sky will have any coverage?

Pete

No. Sky sports F1 channel launches on the 9th March, but thats not to say it wont get a mention on the sports news channels or its website. :)

The new Mclaren B)

http://www.planetf1.com/photo-gallery/7 ... ren-MP4-27

Now there is a surprise! :lol:

You havnt seen ours yet! :#1:

Yep really hoping the Mclaren boys give you a good spanking this year! ;):lol:

First test start next week, wonder if Sky will have any coverage?

Pete

No. Sky sports F1 channel launches on the 9th March, but thats not to say it wont get a mention on the sports news channels or its website. :)

The new Mclaren B)

http://www.planetf1.com/photo-gallery/7 ... ren-MP4-27

Now there is a surprise! :lol:

You havnt seen ours yet! :#1:

Yep really hoping the Mclaren boys give you a good spanking this year! ;):lol:

Who would have thought a fizzy drinks company could beat the might of the Woking clan 3 years on the trot. :boxing::lol:

Be interesting to see what people come up with design wise,and see what ideas other teams copy.

Ferrari have had to cancel their official Friday launch due to heavy snowfall in the area. They will though make some pictures of their latest challenger available together with driver interviews that day.

Pete

I don't necessarily want McLaren to stuff RB (although my preference is for the team in Woking), however I would like to see a much closer gap between the two this year. Mercedes and *spit* Lotus really need to up their game this year, as do the folks at Caterham but I like them so would forgive another season of averageness. I suspect McLaren don't expect too much from the car this year hence the tidying up rather than a re-design, and I'm guessing most of their knowledge will be looking into building the car for next year where the rules really change.

I want Ferrari to crash and burn at every opportunity, Massa is still a whinging little tosspot and I need say nothing further about Alcocko.

I don't necessarily want McLaren to stuff RB (although my preference is for the team in Woking), however I would like to see a much closer gap between the two this year. Mercedes and *spit* Lotus really need to up their game this year, as do the folks at Caterham but I like them so would forgive another season of averageness. I suspect McLaren don't expect too much from the car this year hence the tidying up rather than a re-design, and I'm guessing most of their knowledge will be looking into building the car for next year where the rules really change.

I want Ferrari to crash and burn at every opportunity, Massa is still a whinging little tosspot and I need say nothing further about Alcocko.

Sorry,but i disagree. McLaren have got a totally redesigned car for this year,and they will have and will continue to throw everything at it. It may not look a massive change,other than the side pods,but it is,and McLaren never want to do anything other than win,especially as they have only had one championship trophy since Wingemarsh took over. They are like a military operation.

I totally expect them to be alot closer to us than they were last year. I think Merc GP will make good progress this year,as will Ferrari and Renault. I wouldnt write Kimi off for a second. Personally,if we wernt to win,id rather it be a scarlet car than a silver one. Caterham should be more midfield this year,as they have our KERS and gearbox from last year,so that will boost their performance alot. I just Williams can have a better season than they did last year.

Caterham should be more midfield this year,as they have our KERS and gearbox from last year,so that will boost their performance alot.

Couldn't resist - hope its not the same KERS as last years that certainly, as far as it seems Mark was cocerned, was more off than on :lol:

Caterham should be more midfield this year,as they have our KERS and gearbox from last year,so that will boost their performance alot.

Couldn't resist - hope its not the same KERS as last years that certainly, as far as it seems Mark was cocerned, was more off than on :lol:

:lol:

There were alot of issues at the start of the year. Even Newey said that after 2 laps of the race,the would switch it off at the start of the year,as it would just overheat. Latter part of the year though proved a big step forward,and we ran it reliably with no overheating issues. Its not just the components though,the KERS team have got better in understanding what can be done to keep it optimised and how to fix issues. Marks car did seem to suffer more id admit,but as far as we were concerned,all the parts pass the same quality tests. It was probably because Seb was in clear air most of the time,and when running behind other cars,you dont get that. Hopefully this year,KERS will not be an issue.

There were alot of issues at the start of the year. Even Newey said that after 2 laps of the race,the would switch it off at the start of the year,as it would just overheat. Latter part of the year though proved a big step forward,and we ran it reliably with no overheating issues. Its not just the components though,the KERS team have got better in understanding what can be done to keep it optimised and how to fix issues. Marks car did seem to suffer more id admit,but as far as we were concerned,all the parts pass the same quality tests. It was probably because Seb was in clear air most of the time,and when running behind other cars,you dont get that. Hopefully this year,KERS will not be an issue.

Just make sure that if Vettel has won all the races up until the last one again, you dont come up with a **** and bull story that he's suddenly got a serious gearbox issue from lap 5 so that it gives Webber the chance of victory! :p:lol:

Serious gerbox problem my arse! It ended up doing the full 71 laps! :lol: Meanwhile at Mclaren "Lewis you have a serious gearbox problem" a few laps later it expired! ;)

BTW i am only yanking your chain ;)

So it will be alright then, providing the Caterhams are out in front...............or they are so slow they are in clear air trailing around :doh::lol: