Little known facts about the 350Z

Impressed

I never tire of giving my passengers items whilst driving and asking them to put them in the glove box lol.gif

Can't imagine why the designers decided that we needed to keep our gloves in little cupboards behind the seats.

Even better when they ask whether the tray in the dashboard is the glovebox.

I only found this out a few days ago - what is that vertical line on the driver's side mirror for?

The mirror on the outer side of the line is shaped differently and should show you vehicles that are in your "blind spot".

Can't say I've ever noticed this before.

Good God, didn't your driving instructor ever explain that.. he should have done.

Have you all found the secret document holder area, never knew that existed until recently.

Under the glove box? Found this when fitting the phone kit.

Glove box????

Glove box is behind the pax seat

Oh, that is so odd I did find a pair of leather driving gloves in there when I bought the car......370Ad B)

Ding Dong :)

1048029_Leijuly23.jpg?1367906997

Haha.....and you've still got those shoes Linus :lol:

:lol: yes and I am keeping them but you can have your scarf back :)

Well I dare you to turn up at a track day like that

• 2 months later...

What an excellent thread, took me all day to read it.

Fact, the standard ride height of the Z is far to low to drive over a dead badger!

Best to avoid, otherwise you will end up with three very large thuds, a broken exhaust and bits of fur + blood splatters on the underside of your car.

• Like 1

Would be where the roof button is on a roadster

No, the roadsters roof button is underneath the dashboard close to the petrol filler cap release button. The blank between the heated seats is a "Snow Mode" switch, only found on JDM imports.

Pete

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Re the LCD information 'gauge' that displays dte, temperature, mpg etc, there are obviously two buttons - one to cycle through the different displays (on top) and one to reset information such as mpg and trip meter (right below it)- if you hold the top button for 2 seconds it brings you back to clock - save you having to scroll through all the options!

Another fun fact, the US cars didn't get a clock in the triple gauges either. I have a Florida car. So there you have it, no folding mirrors, no clock. lol

• 1 month later...
JDM ECU gives 10bhp less than UK ECU'S.

I am not sure thats factual, more heresy, I have also read that the other way round, jdms give 10bhp more :)

Just on this point, its proven that JDM GT4s have more power than UK GT4s - so maybe there is something in it.

Back on topic, after looking over Darrens 240z at the weekend, did you know that the basic layout of the Zed has been pretty much the same from its inception - despite being many iterations older his 240z had the cubbies behind the seats, the rear turrets intruding into the boot, even the bonnet has flaps either side that lift up to expose the battery and fluid box. Also has the triple gauge in the middle that is tilted towards the driver.

Didnt have a bass speaker behind the driver though...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting reading people's ranges and MPG's. I do a 400 mile weekly commute on £65 of super, avg £1.20 a litre, that's 36.5mpg.

640 miles a tank, I make that. I have to say I was expecting rather less...

I can also verify I've consistently gotten about 12-15% extra MPG on Shell V Power Nitro+ over their regular unleaded.

Wouldn't have believed you if I hadn't trialled it myself. Used regular for about a month and struggled to go past about 32mpg on the same run.

This is a great thread, very interesting read.

Edited by Rook

If you're gunna use it, doing so for a slightly extended period is the way to do so, as chopping and changing week-on-week means the system's never quite going to acclimatise, making it more prone to knock.

A good friend of mine is a Nissan engineer, it's his opinion (and also mine) that a month of regular should have no long term effects. The only real worries of using regular for long periods of time is build-up, which won't be an issue for just a month.

The stations near where I work only sell regular. I was interested to see if I absolutely had to use it what effect it would have on performance and MPG. Aside from 'feeling' a little sluggish, which could be entirely placebo, I consistently measured MPG losses far greater than the difference in price. I ran the test for 3 or 4 weeks (not sure) to make sure the engine had adjusted relevant timings and I wasn't losing efficiency due to 'knock' effects.

Don't worry, she's safe.

If you're gunna use it, doing so for a slightly extended period is the way to do so, as chopping and changing week-on-week means the system's never quite going to acclimatise, making it more prone to knock.

A good friend of mine is a Nissan engineer, it's his opinion (and also mine) that a month of regular should have no long term effects. The only real worries of using regular for long periods of time is build-up, which won't be an issue for just a month.

The stations near where I work only sell regular. I was interested to see if I absolutely had to use it what effect it would have on performance and MPG. Aside from 'feeling' a little sluggish, which could be entirely placebo, I consistently measured MPG losses far greater than the difference in price. I ran the test for 3 or 4 weeks (not sure) to make sure the engine had adjusted relevant timings and I wasn't losing efficiency due to 'knock' effects.

Don't worry, she's safe.

Have a read here http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/56308-what-can-happen-if-you-run-your-zed-on-95-ron/

Better be safe than sorry :thumbs:

Edited by veeg33

That's kinda what I said, 'only risk of long term use is buildup' and Jez at H-Dev gave the other point I made; it should have switched.

I wasn't condoning the use of regular; I hoped the tone of my post would have made my reluctance to use it clear, but I stand by it being fine for a month. Many people have safely used 95 in the VQ35DE much longer. I'm sure pictures also exist of cars always run on 97 or 99 that have gone catastrophically wrong!

Honestly, my main purpose in posting in this thread was my 640 mile range tank!

Edited by Rook
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yep should have one with no buttons on it but a metal tag with a number. This is the valet key.

As I only have two keys, that means there is someone (Previous owner / dealer?) out there who could easily drive off with my car at the moment..

^^^ What he said 😦

• 3 months later...