Little known facts about the 350Z

Impressed

This has been a good read!

With regards to the rear speakers and there outputs - So basically there crap? Because most German cars have Bose speakers (Maybe not older models) but My golf had Bose in them, and they went a lot louder than these...

With regards to the rear speakers and there outputs - So basically there crap? Because most German cars have Bose speakers (Maybe not older models) but My golf had Bose in them, and they went a lot louder than these...

It's because the "Bose" in our Zeds aren't actually Bose, they are Clarion components with a Bose sticker on them, the only thing that may be Bose is the Bose amp hidden away in the boot.

When you remove the "Bose " speakers, you will notice that they are paperpulp coned speakers. Not something I would expect from genuine Bose branded products.

My cure to this problem is here:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/73153-mould-on-speakers/

It's because the "Bose" in our Zeds aren't actually Bose, they are Clarion components with a Bose sticker on them, the only thing that may be Bose is the Bose amp hidden away in the boot.

When you remove the "Bose " speakers, you will notice that they are paperpulp coned speakers. Not something I would expect from genuine Bose branded products.

My cure to this problem is here:

http://www.350z-uk.c...ld-on-speakers/

Cheers :) Was having a good read, then had to stop, as I can't add more to the list of modding :lol:

One thing I would say if the nice car is in a child and parent bay don't park next to it because their kids don't care if their door swings open and hits yours or the parent is struggling to get their kids in and the door swings open ;)

I wouldnt worry about this. Now ive actually got a toddler and need to use these spaces, i notice that 9 times out of 10 that the person parking in the child & parent bay doesnt have any kids with them at all.

• Like 2

One thing I would say if the nice car is in a child and parent bay don't park next to it because their kids don't care if their door swings open and hits yours or the parent is struggling to get their kids in and the door swings open ;)

I wouldnt worry about this. Now ive actually got a toddler and need to use these spaces, i notice that 9 times out of 10 that the person parking in the child & parent bay doesnt have any kids with them at all.

+1 :rant: and the disabled are usually just over weight ! :blush:

• Like 2

Noticed the other night that with my engine running when I pressed the brake pedal and the brake lights came on, the sidelights would also come on. Now not sure if this is some type of cool safety feature or if my Zed has some sort of electrical fault. :lol:

Either way I'm going with cool safety feature. B):D

• Like 3

Noticed the other night that with my engine running when I pressed the brake pedal and the brake lights came on, the sidelights would also come on. Now not sure if this is some type of cool safety feature or if my Zed has some sort of electrical fault. :lol:

Lmao!

it's broken :lol:

when you accelerate does the engine knock and the oil light come on ? this was also an optional extra :blush:

• Like 1

The 350z was designed from the begining to have a roadster sibling according to the Z bible by Brian Long, I may well be biased but I think the roadsters look great and the fact that the roof folds under the compartment with the 956 look-a-like humps leaves the Z4 looking like the ugly duckling of the convertable world.

it's broken :lol:

when you accelerate does the engine knock and the oil light come on ? this was also an optional extra :blush:

It only does it when parked with the handbrake up so I'm positive it is an ace super high tech safety feature. B)

When I accelerate all I hear is the flux capacitor working but it stops after I hit 88mph and once I begin time travel so not worried. :dry::D

Edited by GMballistic

[When you remove the "Bose " speakers, you will notice that they are paperpulp coned speakers. Not something I would expect from genuine Bose branded products.

I thought paper was actually one of the best materials for speaker cones? Something to do with weight and speed of response?

• Like 1

[When you remove the "Bose " speakers, you will notice that they are paperpulp coned speakers. Not something I would expect from genuine Bose branded products.

I thought paper was actually one of the best materials for speaker cones? Something to do with weight and speed of response?

Yeah, some of the best speakers ever made are paper cones. It's only the last 10 years or so where "better" materials like kevlar and carbon fibre have been used, but some of the old school speaker companies (Which make the best and most expensive) still use paper cones AFAIK.

Well there are variations.. In my Base.. the speakers were worse than crap -- They were Clarion, but worse Clarion than the "Bose" amped speakers in your cars.

When I did my 120hour install (yeah lol) -- of my stealth complete redo of the sound system.. This is one of the Factory "Clarion" speakers from the back.. Speaker magnets tell you a very GENERAL idea of speaker quality -- Bigger = better (but there's a lot more to it than that..) But in this case it tells the whole story. That little Nickle sized metal thing is the magnet:

11889999266_2a323043e7.jpg

Yah.. terrible.

Here's the magnet of one of the 7 speakers I installed:

x109MS62C-B.jpeg

The Factory speaker was 4 watts RMS, -- The replacement speaker is 80watts RMS (RMS just means continuous power.. with speakers ignore "peak wattage/power".

And here's my solution to the factory speakers:

11889851006_eb735f8121.jpg

11889863356_3b9d489c43.jpg

11889282053_7173fc90d4.jpg

jl-sub.jpg

350z_1.JPG

11889429764_99ce3ea7c6.jpg

11921687595_6eb26fae56.jpg

11922141224_7a13d015e5.jpg

11922553716_9a808b06e2.jpg

d_connectors_lugs_solder_straight_3.png

AMP_KIT_KCA-K4_2.jpg

mt15iE0Q8gpaZd8-N7eWIlQ.jpg

11922558236_fa3efa406b.jpg

12018138106_12ea37c564.jpg

12020144256_66c9e3b4fc.jpg

12112217093_8d8af128cc.jpg

12112312474_311db4d8b2.jpg

12370771885_766c5041c2.jpg

12148949215_506105b914.jpg

12149197123_bae7027a74.jpg

11941583574_3ff93c991b.jpg

11951152664_fc3ae3accc.jpg

p9005.jpg

p9005.jpg

11941415513_59f213e5fc.jpg

12061615715_f2450be372.jpg

11951148364_c61a2b66b5.jpg

12267497166_31a2aac998.jpg

11991567776_dc00f08f7a.jpg

11957798716_46095a42d0.jpg

11976262193_aa3a21ac36.jpg

12096067214_eed944532e.jpg

12233298703_ed62a9c16f.jpg

12233528414_681eae2795.jpg

lol... I wish I took pictures of the 175 ft of wire I ran through the car.. but I got a little pre-occupied during that beast of a job.

Can you believe I had the Car THAT apart for the first time 2 weeks after I bought it? I can't believe I got it all back together in one piece lol!

All that shown.. IF I would have had the "Bose" stereo instead of the Base non amped one.. I wouldn't have done any of that.. but now that it's done, I enjoy it so much.. cept my new exhaust is causing me not to turn it on lol.

• Like 2

awesome work, what does it sound like ? :bose:

Thanks. It sounds 100 times better than I was going for. It's utterly amazing,.. I spent $800 on all speakers, amp, headunit, wiring.. (Had the two MB Quart rear speakers from a previous system in my 300ZX).. Hard to describe sound... but take the best Factory Premium sound system you've ever heard that had a sub in it.. and multiply it by 20 or so.. and that's where this is. Super clean Sound quality,.. Tight powerful Bass from the 10 inch Sub.. Beautiful Highs from the four 1" tweeters surrounding me.. incredibly mids from the Four 6.5" Mids surrounding me.. And powered with 900 watts off the Amp,.. (And my "custom" cooling system for the Amp in the glove box ;) ).

It sounds so good.. I've actually gone out to my car and watched 2+ hour movies on the Headunit (it's a DVD player) on the 6.1" screen lol.

I HIGHLY recommend buying some $100-$200 6.5" component speakers and a single 8" or 10" sub for the 350Z -- it's ALL you need for a phenomenal sound. If you need a head unit -- I HIGHLY recommend the Kenwood DDX470 -- For $300 you get a DVD player, CD Player, MP3 (USB player), Iphone Input, Touch screen, Pandora control built in touchscreen, Built in bluetooth with voice dialing that links wireless to your phone,.. navigation from your phone runs off the cable (I routed into the compartment above the radio) and any other program will.. for $25 (like I showed) you can buy the reverse camera,.. do your own install and the headunit has a plugin for the reverse camera. When you put the gear shifter into reverse it automatically pops the screen to the reverse camera.. when you take it out of reverse it goes back to your music, dvd, etc..

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_65909_Kenwood-DDX470.html?SearchClickout%5Bquery_id%5D=19285556&SearchClickout%5BIgnore%5D=1

That radio/head unit is by far the best bang for the buck at the current moment. You can't get all that stuff for $300 in anything else.. What else could you ask for. Sorry,.. I'm going on about it, but it shocked the hell out of me when I found it among the $750-$1000 headunits for $300.. I was like, are you kidding me?

You do NOT need rear speakers at all in the 350.. so don't bother buying them, don't bother buying an amp to run anything more than 2 front speakers and a sub. If you have a head unit already,.. you can get this stuff for $300-$450 and install it yourself. (I spent $800-$900 (plus had a set of $500 rear speakers already) -- And ended up with a $2500-$3500 sound system due to main cost being in installation because it's so labor intensive and takes a bit of fabrication (but you can buy speakers that fit without any fabrication if you can't do that work.).

Just for some $75 front speakers and a single sub.. 4 shops around here quoted me $1500-$1650. Which is what prompted me to just buy it online and install myself. (I had NEVER installed a speaker in a car in my life.. and I took on every possible thing at once and ripped the whole interior out and succeeded.!) -- I'm not saying do what I do, which is a bit overkill.. but 2 speakers + single sub is very cheap and sounds great.

But back on topic -- Little known fact about 350Z -- It is acoustically one of the best cars on the planet for sound systems/speakers (you get MUCH better quality sound due to the design.)

Edited by Chromatic

Is the z so good because the glass area and angles I wonder ?

Ps. You should start a build thread chromatic to catalogue everything in one place :thumbs:

Feel like I'm de-railing this thread. But, to respond.. It's primarily due to the Hatchback design.. In *general* all hatchbacks sound better accoustically.. but there's something about the Z's that put them a notch above just any hatchback. Even in my older 300ZX when I had a previous "system" (I did not install it).. it blew away everyone else's (this was in highschool).. even the rich kids who had 5+ thousand dollar systems simply because my subs were rear firing toward the hatchback (my best guess). I had a few guys who kept upgrading their systems trying to match mine.. and I tried to explain to them you can spend all the money in the world but it's the shape of the "room".. or "car" in this case that is making the difference here. My "System" in the 300ZX was $1500 installed .. was good, but wasn't anything near top of the line.. Was two 12" subs, and the two MB Quart speakers you see I put in the rear of the 350Z (I saved them all these years.. and I finally had a reason to use them ! )

Lmao!

Just wanted to add in case anyone else ever gets this problem ~ I traced the problem down to some LED T20 stop & tail rear brake lights that I had fitted. Once I removed them and went back to the standard glass bulbs the fault disappeared. Probably the LED's overloading a circuit or something but all sorted now.

Lesson learnt ~ do not bother with LED T20 brake lights from eBay. Stick with the OE ones. :thumbs:

Couple from me, not sure if they've been mentioned before:

When it's close to freezing outside, the fluid in the boot arms does not hold the weight of the boot. - My experience and a sizeable lump on the girlfriend's head when she discovered it.

The Z is spacious enough to transport full length skis, gold clubs and a fridge. - Experience.

The rear windscreen does not hold a single drop of rain at speeds in excess of 37 mph, one of it's coolest features I think. - Experience.

You can reset the ECU manually with a bizarre sequence of pressing and holding the foot pedals. - This forum.

The Z has the best owners club on Earth. - Fact.

When it's close to freezing outside, the fluid in the boot arms does not hold the weight of the boot. - My experience and a sizeable lump on the girlfriend's head when she discovered it.

This is true of failing Hatch Struts -- However, you can remedy this by purchasing new hatch struts (I recommend NON OEM .. but aftermarket struts) -- You can find them for $50-$80, shop around. Installation if you buy the ones that include the mounting hardware is about 5 minutes (10 minutes if you take your time). And your "boot" will stay open on the coldest of days and your girlfriend will thank you. The Zed's hatch struts fail "early" in every single one that I know of,.. Eventually your boot lid should stop staying up even on warmer days. It's one of the best "mods" I've done to my Z. :D

The Z has the best owners club on Earth. - Fact.

Absolutely!

• 3 weeks later...