Hello

Hotpot

Well I'm finally making the step to a 350Z from a 1998 Mk2 MR2 that has served me well for the last 7 years. In fact, I have driven a MK2 MR2 for the last 15 years.

I live in Manchester area and I'm going for a test drive of an 06 model 350Z with 40000 miles and full service history. It's a trade deal and they have offered me £1250 in PX for my MR2 T-Bar subject to viewing it of course, which as 78000 genuine miles.

Now the spec on the dealer website says BHP is 280 but I know that the early 06 models were upgraded to 300BHP albeit with less torque. I realise that their details may or may not be incorrect.

My question is, which is the better option?

I like the idea of 300BHP but is it a good idea to sacrifice torque?

I look forward to picking your brains guys, on this topic and no doubt many other 350Z related topics.

From what I have heard is the 300bhp engine is the best one out of the three you can get for the 350z as it has the best balance between torque and bhp. Also the 2006 plus cars got a slightly different interior and front bumper and few other bits I cant remember.

I ended up getting a 2006 model which was in fact a late 2005 was just registered in 2006 (I knew this before I brought it). I drove a few different Zed's and tried all the engine types and I couldn't really notice that much difference TBH. I find the torque more useful TBH but thats just me, I wanted to get the best car for my money hence I went for the 'less' powerful engine in terms of bhp so I got more car for my money. I got a 2006 with 14k on the clock and it didnt have a mark on it, to me that was more important than a few ponies. Also do you want to mod the car as well if so how far? As I believe some engines respond better than others.

This is just my 2p hope it helps

Welcome :wave:

Best thing to do is get out test riving and see which you prefer. The engine difference probably wouldnt bother me too much but if I was deciding between the 2 I'd go for a later model purely for the revised interior which is far nicer and that is where you spend most of your time (not taking into account the time spent staring at the zed from outside!)

Thanks everyone, for your warm welcomes.

As far as modding goes, my only prior experience is slapping a K&N Induction Kit onto my MR2, but I am definitely considering modding to Stage One at least.

As I understand it, that means an induction kit and exhaust.

I would also like some advice about body kits.

I love the look of the kits but I'm worried about ground clearance for potholes and speed bumps etc.

I think as regarding body styling, I would definitely want a more prominent rear spoiler.

Are there any performance body shops around Manchester that anyone can recommend?

In fact, I'd be inclined to get the exhaust and bodykit done at the same time. The Induction Kit I can no doubt do myself (unless there's something I don't know).

Welcome to the forum :) . While its true that 2006 model has a few extra bhp its also a fact that it weighs considerably more than the older version, around 75 kgs so the performance difference is pretty slim tbh. The main difference as I see it is the uprated lighting and interior are enough of an improvement to make them a bit more desirable.

Pete

:welcome: mate,

induction kit easy to do yourself. There are a several people on here that can help you with body kits (and everything else too!) - check out the traders section.

Looking forward to some pics when you get the car! What colour you going for?