Maserati Gran Tourismo.... Thoughts?

Zedrush

i remember it won a "best sounding car award" on driven or some other crappy unheard-of motoring program.

i didnt believe them until i saw one at a sepercar parade at oulton park and made a mess in my pants. they are also a very cool looking car, i think the shape of the current astons is getting a little boring but the GT is still a beautiful car.

the only bad thing i hear about it is that the engine has very little torque low down meaning that it must be revved to get it moving and therefore it isnt a great GT engine. however im sure it is an insignificant defect.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure you can save on these costs by servicing yourself or buying cheaper consumables but would you want to?

You wouldn't unless you instantly wanted to wipe thousands of pounds from the value of the car. With something like the GT, full main dealer history is everything.

I don't think they sound especially nice, but then I don't like flat-plane cranked V8s. Bag of nails at idle and all that.

*hides from Chesterfield* ;)

good looking cars,

only a smaller budget i've been looking at italian cars i.e the alfas; also looked at the maserati 3200 but that niggle of reliability is always at the back of my head.

what confuses me is the italians seem to be able to design stunning cars, with outstanding interiors, yet they seem incapable of even being able to wire a plug socket up let alone a cars wiring loom.

you really want a car with a british chassis; italian design; german build quality; japanese reliability

but it doesnt exisit :lol:

Nicely put rich :lol:

Jay the gt is absolutely gorgeous please get one! I'd put it in the same bracket as realistic dream cars eg r8, amv8 etc etc but none of them come close to the mazza in terms of looks. I'd have one in a heartbeat..... Maybe one day...

And red leather is lovely there's a silver one in Glasgow with red leather trim including the dash it is stunning :cloud9:

my best mate has had most of the excotic cars had a DB9,Vantage then Maserati (all new) most of these for 1 year if that, the Maserati was the most unrealible then the Astons, he then bought a Lamborghini Gallardo (new) and the clutch went after 6 months he took the car back and they said they have never heard of a clutch going so they let him use a Superlegera while fixing the Gallardo he got the car back and sold it. He then bought a Ferrari 599 and he has fell in love with them they have proved to be the most reliable cars he's had mind you they should be for what they cost, then last month he flew to the Ferrari factory in Modana and took delivery of the new 458 (in red of course) and drove the car back I have yet to go out in it, oh! what it's like to be weathly!

My Dad was going to get a Quattroporte. He's wanted one for years but as the nearest garage is in Edinburgh he worried that if anything was wrong it would take ages to sort out. This is the only reason he doesn't have one now.

If there was a dealer in Aberdeen or even an agent then I have no doubt in my mind one would be sitting on his driveway!

:cloud9:

I've been looking at the 4200 & the Gransport but am a bit put off by the unreliability stories

having owned and maintained and repaired and driven for more than 20k miles a 4200gt spyder manual 02 reg in british racing green with cream leather all the possible boxes ticked and 18k miles when i got it. :

the buying and servicing experience was immaculate. a driver would come from leeds to hull, drop a 320d mpack off and pick the maser up. then drop it back off a few days later.

however it was at jct 600 leeds every second week for various reasons. 9k (i think it was 9k) service was 1300 quid for spark plugs, oil, filters and general check. then the annual at 400 quid where all they did was clean the brakes. and then a clutch at 2.5k quid. also for the record a rear drive shaft was over a grand!!! plus labour

tyres are 400 quid a corner for the rear ones (ps change the pirellis asap and put pilot sports on!!!)

more body flex than a mattress and a corsa on aftermarket coilovers could overtake me on a roundabout.

creaky cabin and a fair bit of wind buffeting.

oh and it rusts!

10mpg round town, 18-20 on the motorway at 80-90mph

skyhook suspension useless and TCS worse than the Zed's

very average brakes.

and i could go on and on.

the grandsport is better but only just. the coupe is a different car as it handles sweetly and there isnt much body roll. but thats as far as it goes. the interior in the 04 on models is much nicer but the fit and finish still average

then you start the engine and you forget it all!!

sounds amazing, straight line pace up up there with the best and the engine is simply a gem. (it has got chains not cambelts and and its a dry sump or whatever its called)...oh and the engine is very very robust too!

add that its one of the best chick traps and head turners ever and you ve got the perfect poser's car haha

if you buy one you will love it. but be very careful which one you buy and drive it with love or it will wreck your bank accounts (they are cheap as chips to buy for a reason)!!

and drive with respect. you can not drift it!!! especially in the wet it bites back suddenly and big time...i wrote it off in the end ;)

as for the granturismo i would have one any day. 1-2 years old. not brand new and not with the old automatic box...it goes through clutches every 9-10k miles and is very jerky. and then sell it before the warantee expires.

The masserati isnt a flat plane though. :blush:

Is it not?! I assumed that as it had the Ferrari lump it they'd have kept that part of the design, looks like a numpty mistake on my part then :blush:

No they only stick the flat plane in the Fezzas, so thats why the 430 has what some say is an "agricultural" noise on tickover :lol:. The GT sounds fantastic. Haven't heard an LP640 in the flesh so will reserve judgement, but the GT across the road from me puts both the 430 and the neighbours lp560 to shame. :blush:

My son in law goes to to Le Mans every year with his mates, one of them has this car and it broke down in France in 2009, major breakdown, mega money to fix it and still hasn't been able to get it done, basically he can't afford it. If you get one of these think of running costs beyond your imagination and keep a large contingency fund handy...

Pete