Could I live with a Convertible?

Sarnie

I have an itch that I feel I really need to scratch at some point in my life - A Convertible.

But, I just don't know if I could live with one. I think I'm kind of hooked on the idea of one but I'm not sure if I could have one.

Leaky roofs, problems with the lifting gear, sunburn, rain, looking like a **** at traffic lights, people flicking fags in my car in traffic etc are all things I worry about.

I'm concerned that if I encountered any of the above I'd probably not bother putting the roof down, so I might as well have just bought the coupe version of that car.

I've considered hiring a convertible but then I'd probably really enjoy that as it would only be for a short time and not indicative of real longer term ownership.

Before I buy an expensive car (I've been looking at RS4's, M3's,911's) and realise I've made a grave mistake in buying a convertible, I'm considering buying a cheap (read £5k-£6k) car (Z3, S2000, Elise,TT etc) literally to have for a few months, just to see if I like it, before shelling out the big bucks.........any thoughts or input? Any roadster owners care to share their experiences good or bad?

:)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love softtop motoring, i had forgotten about it in the zed and really missed it until i got back in the s2k. never really had any of the problems you mention.

i'm up at husky's at the end of the month in the s2k if you are close to there i could come acorss or vice versa and you can see for your self.

most of the cars you've mentioned especially the likes of the m3 have very thick roof's which make for similiar to coupe sound etc.

i'm itching to take the hardtop at the moment,

i did all across france with the roof down and it makes motoring fun. i can have more fun with the roof down at lower speeds than hammering it in a coupe.

my s2k will also be for sale soon as well; ;)

Maybe I'm over egging the issues slightly, but in coupe all those issues dissappear.

I might buy one and get bored/tired of it quickly which is why I'm reluctant to spend big money on one and then have to flog it straight away which I can't be arsed with.

Or I buy a coupe again, and constantly look at the convertibles in the classifieds wishing I'd bought one :wacko:

Do it. You'll never regret it, promise.

If you're worried about it then buy a mk3 MR2 as a cheapy car to try. Mid-engined so a bit different, you won't get the gay label that an MX-5 (wrongly) comes with, and it's comfy enough with minimal rattles.

I wouldn't be without a convertible in my house, and the second the missus gets rid of her MR2 I'll have to seriously consider either getting a cheapy droptop or swapping the 911 for one without a roof.

I have owned a couple of convertibles and again never really suffered from any of the problems. Had a couple of sticky roofs after they have been up all winter which is easily resolved with a little lubrication. I have also been caught out many times with the roof down and it starts to tank it down. If you are on the motorway just speed up and you don't get wet!!

I personally love convertibles, nothing finer than driving with the roof down and hearing the car and the feeling of infinite space. In the summer I don't even get angry in traffic jams with the roof down, just put the seat back, arms in the air and enjoy the tanning experience!! :thumbs:

I have had a number of convertibles.

Yes - sunburn can be an issue - easily resolved

My Elise roof never leaked (I had an aftermarket improved roof) - however my Westfield and Caterham 7 ones did - but I didn't care

An Elise roof takes quite some time to put up

The 350z roof has not leaked yet

No-one has ever thrown anything in any of them

No-one has yet made insulting comments at traffic lights - have had people smiling and waving though (but that might be different with another make of car!)

Wind buffeting can be an issue in that it can be tiring on long journeys - but this varies enormously from one car to another - best to try them - I am sure Porkers and Audis would be ok on that front - 350z is good

Greater level of noise can be tiring on long journeys - but again probably not with some of the cars you mention - the Elise was just about acceptable on that front - the 350 is a lot better

The reason I keep buying them is more emotional/sensory (and whenever I can I have always put the roof down)

To hear the noise!

Greater feeling of it being an event

The Mr Toad kinda "at one with the road" thing

There are some days when you wish you hadn't but on an early summers morning heading through the tunnel and out into the sunlight on the A27 overlooking the sea it all seems worthwhile!

Neil

My previous car was a BMW 330ci M Sport Cabriolet. The car certainly had it faults but all of those disappeared once the roof was down. To be honest it was the only time I really enjoyed driving the car. The only thing related to the roof I didn't like was the outside noise when the roof was up.

The vast majority of modern cabriolets do not leak.

I'm lucky that I have the 914 for those roof off moments. I can understand the itch you have, I'd say itch it. :lol:

OK, I had roof issues but that me, not many others have had any problems. :)

The last two summers have been rubbish but its still a fantastic feeling when the weather allows you to enjoy a roadster.

I tend not to have the roof down in town but I like loud music so thats the only reason. Out of town its down any chance I get.

I got a shout of $£$$£$ hairdresser once in Wales until the guy realised I was one of 50 350zs. :lol: Apart from that I have had one problem in 5 years when a passenger in a white van spat into the car. He wont do it again. :teeth:

Very few downsides really and the fun of roof down driving is well worth it IMO. :thumbs:

Had both and I'd have another convertible again any day, but I dont think I could have one as my luxury/fun car permanently though.

The main point for me is exactly how Clarkson described the issue when reffering to the debate. Although I disagree with plenty he says, for me what he said made sense to me when it came to the choice of convertible or coupe for the 430 - and it applied to me in the 350 too.

When referring to the 430 he said....If you look like Jose Mourinio, then the convertible is fine, if you look more like Jose Pasquale, then its the coupe. I simply would not suit a 430 convertible and would look a chuff, so coupe it was. If I ever get round to losing maybe 4 or 5 stone, then I may think again.

Having said that, who gives a toss. Open top motoring is immense fun in the summer, and the roofs on most modern convertibles aren't an issue for leaks etc. I know Martin has had issues with his 350 roof, but Ill bet driving round in the summer with that top down makes up for it. Ive been trying to get the missus to have another MX5, and having recently been with a mate to a car supermarket to get his first run around, I hung my nose over a couple of MX5's and an Alfa Spyder - the fact I havent yet had the garages built yet was probably one of the only things stopping me getting one :lol:

Cheers guys, all valid points.

I don't think things like the road noise on long journeys will be a problem for me, I work from home so no commuting and any long journeys would probably be done in the Alfa anyway.....

I feel that once I've got one, I will finally be able to stop looking at the classifieds, which has become a bit of an OCD over the last two years :lol:

There is no feeling in the world when driving that compares with dropping the roof on either a very cold or very warm night, cranking the stereo and nailing the throttle. Even cruising down the motorway becomes a proper adventure rather than just another journey.

Had both and I'd have another convertible again any day, but I dont think I could have one as my luxury/fun car permanently though.

The main point for me is exactly how Clarkson described the issue when reffering to the debate. Although I disagree with plenty he says, for me what he said made sense to me when it came to the choice of convertible or coupe for the 430 - and it applied to me in the 350 too.

When referring to the 430 he said....If you look like Jose Mourinio, then the convertible is fine, if you look more like Jose Pasquale, then its the coupe. I simply would not suit a 430 convertible and would look a chuff, so coupe it was. If I ever get round to losing maybe 4 or 5 stone, then I may think again.

Having said that, who gives a toss. Open top motoring is immense fun in the summer, and the roofs on most modern convertibles aren't an issue for leaks etc. I know Martin has had issues with his 350 roof, but Ill bet driving round in the summer with that top down makes up for it. Ive been trying to get the missus to have another MX5, and having recently been with a mate to a car supermarket to get his first run around, I hung my nose over a couple of MX5's and an Alfa Spyder - the fact I havent yet had the garages built yet was probably one of the only things stopping me getting one :lol:

:lol: sarnie best get a coupe then

I had a Sprite as long ago as 1971 and a Spitfire in 72. Only problem I had was that someone attempted to remove the headrests I'd fitted by getting their hands in between the hood and the glass, no damage done though, maybe the kid I gave 50p to mind my car outside Anfield chased them off :lol: . No problems with either of Caroline's convertibles either.

Pete

The only worry I would have is this...

Ever had the moment when you sat at the lights or were stationary...and then out of nowhere some birdmuck splats onto your windscreen? Imagine you had been just a foot further along and in a convertible....

Before I owned mine, would have thought the same thing. It never happened to me though. :drive1

The only worry I would have is this...

Ever had the moment when you sat at the lights or were stationary...and then out of nowhere some birdmuck splats onto your windscreen? Imagine you had been just a foot further along and in a convertible....

That has always been a worry of mine since I have owned a convertible. Don't know whether its just blind luck but it has happened all over the car but never on me (touch wood!!). Its even happened on the drivers seat while it was parked with the roof down. It would be very unlucky (opposite to the saying!!) if this did happen I think. Although it would be bloody funny to see!! :lol:

I've been driving convertibles for over seven years now, 90% of the time with the roof down, and I've never been hit with bird poo or fag ends or anything. I've only ever had a proper soaking twice in all that time too, as I didn't bank on other traffic stopping while it was raining that hard :blush:

I never had an issue with MR2 roadster - got the occasional hairdresser comment though! :lol:

........really like MR2 but at present, if I was going to buy something cheaper for enjoyment, it would have something like an s1 elise.

Dr Pepper - Whats the worst that could happen?

The last three cars I have had have been roadsters...Golf MkI Cabriolet, Eunos Roadster, MX5 MkIII

Bad Points.....

During the winter months there was always a damp feel in the cars, not so much in the MX5 (MKIII) as it was new, I guess if you have a garage to put it in then would be less of an issue. Road noise was much more noticeable which made talking to your passenger/bluetooth hands free difficult. Can get sun stroke really easily in the summer if you spend a a few hrs in the car.... depends if your a sun worshipper or not. Not so much fun if your stuck in traffic next to a lorry or bus or stinky diesel exhaust. I used to get sore throat and chapped lips more often

Good Points.....

Fecking Brilliant, you cant beat driving along with the roof down, I was one of those in mid winter driving around topless :lol: Just make sure you get one with a good heater. The Merc SLK "Air Scarf" thingy is top notch :thumbs:

I never had any problems with luggage..... just pack accordingly :lol:

What to get....

MkI Eunos - cheap, great to drive, good in the corners..... just a right laugh. A good one to "try open top driving"

MX5 MkII - Nice and comfortable, the one with the folding metal roof is one of the only metal roof that does not take up any boot space.

S2000 - B) ....Say no more

Don't get a 4 seat convertible...... any one in the back will be blown to pieces from the wind... not nice

I have a coupe at the moment..... would I have another roadster.....yep to right :thumbs: Some days I drive along thinking I wish I had the roof down.... at least with a roadster you can put it back up :thumbs:

P.S..... never been pooped on

Had a Saab convertible and now the zed and have to say as long as it's not raining and not too cold the roof is down and it's great. It's kind of weird because you feel a lot closer to the surroundings and I feel adds a lot to the driving experience. Especially as I can now hear my new exhaust properly.

The only thing to watch out for is that you can hear others and others can hear you very easily. I remember owning the Saab for about a week and sat at a roundabout the guy in front wouldn't go when it was soooo clear. I realised the car wasn't as soundproofed as I thought when my pointed comment about the ability of his driving got a nasty stare back. I've been very careful since then.

Only other issue with the zed is a little leak now and again but its nothing, I just love the car.

In conclusion you can definitely live with it. :yahoo: