Could I live with a Convertible?

Sarnie

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defo, get yourself a cheap fun soft top something you can actually use to appreciate open driving rather than something to pose in. I always look at folk with soft top versions of high performance motors ie 911's, M3, RS4 and just think they are totally missing the point and just want to be looked at.

R

Ultimately I'm looking at getting a car that ticks as many boxes as possible;

Quick

Rear seats (for my two year old)

Convertible.

But if I bought a cheapy two seater drop top, that might be enough for me to take 'convertible' off the main cars requirements list meaning I could actually keep the cheapy drop top and buy a coupe version of a 911, M3 etc etc :thumbs:

RS4 or M3 would tick those boxes with a little'un to think about. :thumbs:

They are ideal really. This is all driven around having to keep 'er indoors happy. A convertible car that I can get a child seat in the back solution.

Ultimately, I don't want to have to run three cars ( Mrs car, cheapy drop top, M3/RS4 etc) thats why I've been looking at a compromise of a convertible RS4/911/M3 etc......I agree with Ross that they will not be as focused as the coupe versions, but for what I'm looking for they could tick a lot of the boxes I need.

Everytime the Mrs catches me looking at two seaters she's like "Whats the point in buying one of them? You'll only ever be able to go out in it on your own, meaning it will just sit on the drive all the time?" Maybe she doesn't realise that I might just want to only go out in it on my own :lol::blush:

I'm hoping that the cars I'm looking at will be a bit more GT cars rather than out and out sports cars so thing like road noise shouldn't be a problem......

My car is coming up for sale very soon a jdm roadster n no leaky roof !! It's a superb motor with 36 k sadly for sale due to new business venture !! My car is known to a few members on here who like it :teeth:

Thanks but I've ruled a 350z roadster out, on the basis that they are more than I want to spend on a short term convertible. I'm either going to spend £5k on a drop top to see if I like it or I'm gonna wing it and drop £40k on a car I might hate :surrender:

Go for it just test drive a few. As mentioned don't buy a saloon car conversion but a sports one only.

Had 2 x MR2's 1x 350z ragtop naturally :snack: and now a mk3 MX5. Love them all for different reasons but you can't beat that sensation of wind in the hair motoring. Never had any bad comments, sneers or hairdresser remarks even in the MX5 Which has surprised me how good it really is. Autumn and winter are my favourite top down driving days, find summer a bit boring really generally your breathing in diesel fumes from a wagon etc! :headhurt:

Never had bird poo or anyone spit at me and if you drive above a certain speed the rain goes over the top anyway, it's the water off the wipers that gets you in a rainstorm.

No roof problems or leaks at all. Buy an MR2 roadster for about 4k or mk1 MX5 for 1500.

Good luck with your search :thumbs:

why not get a convertible that has a metal roof ie the new m3 convertible, (witch i love) you ve got the best of both worlds then

I am ;)

The dilema stems from the fact that if I don't enjoy it with the roof down, I might as well get the coupe :)

PS : I saw you coming through Coleshill recently :D

Yes if you like them.

No if you dont. :shrug:

But I don't know if I will like it as I've never owned a drop top.

I just wanted to gain peoples opinions and experiences with convertibles, I have a feeling I'm not going to like the feeling of being totally exposed at traffic lights etc......

Think I'm gonna get myself a cheap one for a few months and see how that goes.....

I suppose it does depend on your personality and how you feel about the attention. I love it personally and lap it up so I have the roof down whenever its not raining no matter the temp. I went over to Nurrish's once and it was -2. I put the roof down in the garage as I wouldn't dare use it at that temp if it had been outside!! :thumbs:

Ok, from my point.

I think you are only looking at the negative side of owning a soft top.

Things you have suggested that might happen sometimes do, but not often.

Have i ever had anything happen to me? In short, no.

Worst is muppest decide to wash their winscreens when in front, but it makes for a refreshing mist of cool air in the summer.

Have i owned a soft top before my zed, no.

Do i regret owning it, no.

Would i have another soft top, yes indeed.

Sure, we have a few drips of water getting in the car,and? Never suffered with condensation either.

Its great getting the top down when it nice weather, early mornings on a summers day are great.

One problem i have is that when roof is down the sun can be right in your eyes. Answer, hat.

All in all, apart from being robbed blind by the ever increasing cost of running it, to which i now question is it worth it, its a great car come rain or shine and have never regretted buying or owning it.

one of the best times in my life was driving the stelvio pass in my maser v8 spyder with the hood down. bari-naples-rome-florence-venice-lucern-freiburg-frankfurt-rotterdam in 7 days. all with the hood down, sun cream, hat bought in italy and cruising at 120mph. wouldnt be anywhere near as good in a coupe.

second unbeatable feeling is driving with hood down on a summer night. unbeatable.

as for the driving bit you will soon forget about the comments although nobody has ever said or done anything to me anyway. feel free to come and drive mine anytime...and i am sure you wont bring it back :)

Moved this to here Greekman, it got lost in the spam!

I had a Z4 Roadster before the 350Z, great cars and one of few convertibles i actually liked, tried the latest MX5 but next to the Z4 it never stood a chance.

I wouldnt put the roof down much around town, it was more on open roads and when friends we're in the car with me as there more poser's.

My next car is going to be an S2 Elise.

ps. You wont find an elise for £5-6k now.