Why are we all so dumb

coldel

I have come to the conclusion that these idiots think that there is some sort of zombie apocalypse coming 

with that in mind I think that anyone hoarding to the point where it has a detrimental effect on their fellow man

should be treated as such and standard procedures for dealing with zombies should be used.

cut off the head - destroy the brain

:)

• Like 2

NHS dentists were told to continue treating patients with cold and flu symptoms, as long as they hadn't travelled to or been in contact with travellers to at risk countries.

I had a guy today with toothache.

I could see he had cold and flu symptoms so after treatment asked if he was still going back to work reminding him of the guidelines to self isolate JUST IN CASE.

His reply was "I should be ok don't worry, it's just a NORMAL COLD not Corona virus"

I was shocked by his blasé attitude and said

"How do you know you haven't got Corona virus?......how do you know that I don't have Corona virus?......you don't! 

You don't want the hassle of self isolating.

I don't want to be working in people's gobs when they're full of a cold during these times

But we've all got to do what we can to look after one another.

NOW GO HOME AND SELF ISOLATE!"

Got home today and got a new guidelines email from the NHS.

Now they are telling us NOT to see people with symptoms of Coronavirus and that they MAKING PLANS on where these people should go with toothache.

Not mandatory.... just a guideline.

So are we meant to turn poor people away at the door suffering with toothache and say we'll ring you when the NHS have decided where to send you?

Most will probably just have the common cold but it's still stressful treating them especially as I'm just inches from their mouths at time.

Totally understand coming to the practice with toothache with cold symptoms.

Just wait in the car in the car park as recommended.

I'll call you in when it's your turn.

But don't go back to work FFS!

Rant over.

Didn’t know you were a dentist as well?

We were told in Scotland not to carry out any treatment causing aerosols, turn away patients with or living with those with covid19 symptoms, they will be treated in designated areas

Very quiet day for us today 

13 minutes ago, LRF4N said:

Didn’t know you were a dentist as well?

We were told in Scotland not to carry out any treatment causing aerosols, turn away patients with or living with those with covid19 symptoms, they will be treated in designated areas

Very quiet day for us today 

England only received that TODAY.

But I've been following those guidelines off my Scottish and Irish colleagues since Monday anyway as it makes sense.

Still running at 80% in our practice as it's a very high needs socially deprived area and EVERYONE'S an emergency with toothache.

Too many people don't do what MAKES SENSE just because the government hasn't put it in black and white.

I know people who won't go to the office coz they've been told to work from home, but gladly still go to the gym in an enclosed space breathing in recirculating air full of aerosol droplets from members puffing and panting away!

The day it's banned, they'll all agree it makes sense and wouldn't have it any other way.

Edited by HEADPHONES

Personally I wouldnt wait on any kind of NHS wide policy before taking action to protect your self, your patients, and your staff.

The few things we know about this virus so far is quite scary:

1. In a young, not disease burden population the mortality rates is around 2% (Wuhan), but in an older, more co morbid population (Italy) that figure is near 10%.

2. Only 40% of patients initially present with a cough/fever, a large number of patients are 'asymptomatic', how long they stay asymptomatic for is not known, nor the impact of been exposed to increasing viral loads.

3. Social distancing works, so far antibiotics, steroids, antiviral don't. In effect we have no proven medical treatment for this condition.

Colleagues in London tell me the hospitals there are already starting to creak, and wouldnt last long if patient numbers keep on going up.

Stay safe, stay clean, and we will all get through this. Though the coming months will be hard for everyone.

Edited by gangzoom

Supermarket update. Online stuff came yesterday. Half missing including milk, cheese, ham, toilet paper etc. Just our regular shop. Have a son who's disabled. Went to sainsburys for the first hour allowance for the elderly/vulnerable opening. Massive queue at 6.45am. I give up. I'll order take out every day. 

Yes people are still panic buying as we get even closer to a lock down. Although the government doesn't want to say it I think the time is right for them to outline what a lock down looks like in reality as we have too many selfish people in this self entitled country making bad assumptions. My concerns all along on this thread have been for people like bytespc and I am sorry but 'its human nature' doesn't cut it in my eyes, people on the whole know what they are doing and how they are going to be indirectly causing struggle and harm to the most vulnerable in society - again if anyone can provide some statistics showing Italians starving to death en-masse in their homes I am happy to see it. I like Andy's idea on the zombie solution, easy enough cutting off heads, although locating the brain may prove much more difficult.

What I feel is a shame is that a number of things in our country will be exposed in the coming months but we wont learn from it, the chronic underinvestment and inefficiencies of the NHS under Tory rule being one. The fact that it is literally impossible to live on benefits and they are not fit for purpose. The reliance of vast numbers of the populous on just in time income to keep themselves afloat, the weakness of zero hour contracts etc. and gig economy. The shocking lack of speed of decision making in government, despite having in effect a crystal ball sat over in Italy for us. I get it, this is unprecedented, but we will not learn from it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Minid said:

Supermarket update. Online stuff came yesterday. Half missing including milk, cheese, ham, toilet paper etc. Just our regular shop. Have a son who's disabled. Went to sainsburys for the first hour allowance for the elderly/vulnerable opening. Massive queue at 6.45am. I give up. I'll order take out every day. 

Yes I can pretty much imagine people ignoring the supermarkets call for only the at risk and elderly to have access and still go along - probably thought it would be an opportunity for them to jump the queue. Shame on them. Disgusting.

Had a guy ranting in the local shop yesterday because he could only buy one bottle of milk ... raving at and intimidating the poor young girl on the checkout ... I wish I'd had a gun with me ... stupid, ignorant bastard !!!

12 hours ago, bytespc said:

I am 62 disabled in the at risk group and I need to get my weekly shop but thanks to the ****ing morons across the country and in the press egging them on, I cant, there is no milk, no bread, no loo rolls etc etc

this country is populated by  selfish dick heads

5AM 24 Hour Tesco! is your best bet. .They said they will reduce opening hours so it might be tricky Online shopping arent really taking anymore bookings till next month. I had to ask my mate 30 miles away to get me a 9 pack of loo roll as they have been sold out for 2 weeks...my brother got given 4 out of a pack in Asda....i said to him just take what you need and give me the rest lol......lots of people are not panic buying but they are going to the shops more often than they need to while others are going as a group and splitting up and buying 1 each and returning to the same household. 

My mate claims he saw this coming  They live outside London so dont have the extreme queues and completely empty shelves. He also works as a tesco delivery driver. So the people you see with one bottle of whisky in their basket or like my brother having the **** taken out of him for having an empty basket have already bought their stuff 2 - 3 weeks ago when people werent panicking. 

Unfortunately most people didnt think it would get this bad but it has. Someone mentioned takeaway, I have heard that people are preparing food not taking taking the proper precautions. I would be wary 

Ive been doing a thing of only eating once a day on saturdays and sundays for the last year when possible. Think its good practice for when the time comes and you can only have one meal a day because that rice will only last 2 - 4 weeks! "it wont get that bad"....I cant gaurantee I wont catch this virus either...

In Tesco Metro if you time it you can get a 5KG bag of rice along with Cereal and they have started rationing pasta and rice to 3 small packs per person after sainsburys have for the last week. A pain in the ass but you will have to phone around and ask if someone can pick these up especially around opening time. 5KG bag of rice can last you close to a month. Sooner or later there wont be anything left at all. Thats why the Army would be useful in restricting the numbers entering these stores and enforcing prioritisation of the elderly and disabled via rations. I'm all for that

The slow reactions are funny. As a CEO of a chain like TESCO why havent they had security restricting the numbers in stores, the numbers of items people can check out at the tills like Sainsburys. With restrictions of hours and item numbers you can restock shelves. The elderly priority hours of say 7AM to 10AM Monday - Friday make sense as it keeps general public away. Also carers etc can be given passes to buy items at those times for their patient or person they are looking after. Ive not seen one elderly person stockpiling anytime i have been in store. TBH its easier to restock a superstore with 100 elderly people in a time frame of 2 - 3 hours than it is with a 100 general joe public as they tend to clear the aisles quicker without consideration

No one else should be allowed in at that time. But you need private security, police or the army to enforce that

Edited by GranTurismoEra

The supermarkets are simply following government guidance, and given how slow that has been to react no surprise they are equally slow to change. The main problem as highlighted with restrictions in store is the security of staff, staff are regularly abused and threatened in normal times, let alone now when stupid people are panicking. 

Given the supermarkets over the last two weeks have seen a 30-50 percent rise in sales, by now people should be stocked up and just be shopping as normal - they aren't.

4 minutes ago, Minid said:

Might go for the 5am early doors at Tesco then. Might take the Z, should be relatively quite on the roads. Wish me luck. 

Expect queues as people have the same idea, depending on the area. If youre in a little town or village it might be a relief and people might be more cordial! Also no gaurantees that items will be stocked. Good luck.

Edited by GranTurismoEra

Yes Tesco 24 hour stores are reducing hours. Stores get their deliveries throughout the day, I went into waitrose for a look around (I usually use Tesco or Sainsbury's) just to see what they had in at 4pm two days ago and the shelves were full of toilet roll which had just been put out. Its worth a couple of trips if there are essentials you need. Shame again that people are being pig selfish and ignoring the general advice not to shop early and let vulnerable in there.

If they can time the deliveries and stocking shelves with priority hours then they will be onto something. Its just about securing the store and making sure when people go mad at the door it is safe for staff to carry on as normal. People will go mad even if its a restriction of 2 - 3 hours in the morning! 

We havent got there yet but there is risk of people being robbed outside the stores as happened to one guy in my local area not to mention house invasions. They just need to keep an eye on people as things could escalate with restrictions in place.

You cant time deliveries as you cannot account for traffic, loading times, availability of staff to supervise etc. one drop could take 1 hour one day, 2 hours the next. The supply chain is incredibly complex (people don't understand that supermarkets just sell the stuff, they don't make it, that's the job of the thousands of suppliers who should also be considered key workers).

To be honest, I think once we get a lock down people will be calmer, when they realise that they can still eat, still do stuff, that they are not going to starve in their homes. And yes, police and army on the street would help with calming it all down. It shouldn't need that, but this has shown how us in the 'developed world' are utterly hopeless in an emergency situation.  

• Like 1

It's all very similar to a run on a bank (think 2008 and Northern Rock), just a shame that for as long as it continues, however small, that it will inevitably trap everyone into stockpiling. 

Wonder if this will speed up the theory of Idiocracy! Gonna be plenty of people getting bored and inevitably having sex and changing the balance of society lol. 

TBH though the UK isn't known for common sense and hospitality - before you cut my head off, I'm saying that the UK is tolerant not hospitable and tends to rally round only once the going gets tough. 

Been asking family for "war time" recipes and seeing what I can cook with the tidbits I can find in Sainsbury's. If anyone has any to share, do jot them down here! 

• Like 1

Lockdown or Curfew not strange for me. I lived in Nigeria for 10 years where they had lots of curfews and lockdowns during regime change, coups and military rule....what they are suggesting here isnt the end of the world. Its not a shoot on sight policy or arrest immediately if caught outside post 7PM.........Its more turn around and go back home and you should only be going to get food or supplies....No social gatherings....its just to contain or mitigate the spread for 2 to 4 weeks if that... It has to come to that to reduce movement and reduce the spread and stop it escalating way beyond the 104 deaths so far. Not to mention the rationing of food. Unfortunately this is the reality and shows you whats to come (in waves) even if people dont want to believe it. Its here.

London needs this as they have the highest amount of reported cases in a concentrated area. roads have less traffic and there are less pedestrians in the street. So looks like some people are already doing their bit which is good. Waterloo and City said they will close down hopefully all other TFL will follow suit. Best to act now so we can salvage whatever is left of the year once it dies down. 

If its seasonal hopefully they would have found a vaccine before Covid 20....

12 minutes ago, Umster said:

It's all very similar to a run on a bank (think 2008 and Northern Rock), just a shame that for as long as it continues, however small, that it will inevitably trap everyone into stockpiling. 

Wonder if this will speed up the theory of Idiocracy! Gonna be plenty of people getting bored and inevitably having sex and changing the balance of society lol. 

TBH though the UK isn't known for common sense and hospitality - before you cut my head off, I'm saying that the UK is tolerant not hospitable and tends to rally round only once the going gets tough. 

Been asking family for "war time" recipes and seeing what I can cook with the tidbits I can find in Sainsbury's. If anyone has any to share, do jot them down here! 

What the people who couldnt afford rice or cooked beans used to do is drink something called Garri which can also be boiled and eaten....Thats in Nigeria. Ive always referred to these type of food as rations. Thats how they survive, but that has adverse effects if you drink it too much. It staves off hunger for some time. A plate of Cooked beans can stave off hunger for a day I kid you not its so heavy.....Also fortunately with tropical weather bananas, cashews, yams and many more things grow there. so you can just about rustle up something if you are living below poverty. Work on a farm to survive thats if the farm owner will give you a job and you promise not to eat the produce on the job

farming is a dying trade there and many people are importing and smuggling in food. Which the government are trying to stop

War time meal skills are a necessity now you might have to start a new thread and get those recipes in there lol

Edited by GranTurismoEra