Why are we all so dumb

coldel

2 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Some people have claimed it is not as bad as flu while others have died. Which is it....

I haven't heard anyone claiming it's not as bad as the flu. The truth appears at the moment to be that it's like the flu, but spreads faster and has a higher mortality rate. I have a feeling that the numbers aren't any where near being accurate though, as we haven't really got an accurate idea of how many people are infected. Maybe once it's 'bedded in' rather than this initial phase, we'll see a much slower spread and less people dying.

11 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Reading the stats of how many people sadly die year on year from influenza in the UK, US China etc is shocking in itself to which this is never reported on in the media. Start reporting on it heavily, give the virus a scary name and it not hard to cause panic for something that on the whole already exists. I believe this to an experiment to understand how the deployment of information controls the masses, being the prelude to the actual plan.

It does feel like some people are embracing a level of panic that is not proportional to the scale of the problem. No doubt social media and the knock on effect that's had on the mainstream media is a large part of that.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, coldel said:

Nooooo not the pub! That’s totally essential!

There are usually less people in my local pub than there are in my house - my man maths suggests I am safer in the pub?

It would be frowned upon if I go to the supermarket and fill a trolley full of bog roll but do you think it acceptable if I fill it with Jack Daniels instead? 

• Haha 2

Seasonal flu DOES NOT predict a worse case scenario of 80% of the population contracting ‘seasonal’ flu.

This new virus does, no vaccine, vulnerable people, elderly, those with underlying health conditions are all in danger.  Seasonal flu on the other hand WILL have some in those categories that are: a. Vaccinated or b.  Have immunity.

For those that believe that this is over dramatised, think again, no vaccine, no immunity, deaths could be in the 100’s of thousands if not millions.

For some who do over compensate with higher levels of panic, can’t help it.  The threat of death does that.

THIS WILL BE LIFE CHANGING for untold millions, financially as well as in terms of health.  The ‘blitz’ spirit won’t beat this, but taking the precautions being advised might.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, The G Man said:

Seasonal flu DOES NOT predict a worse case scenario of 80% of the population contracting ‘seasonal’ flu.

This new virus does, no vaccine, vulnerable people, elderly, those with underlying health conditions are all in danger.  Seasonal flu on the other hand WILL have some in those categories that are: a. Vaccinated or b.  Have immunity.

For those that believe that this is over dramatised, think again, no vaccine, no immunity, deaths could be in the 100’s of thousands if not millions.

For some who do over compensate with higher levels of panic, can’t help it.  The threat of death does that.

THIS WILL BE LIFE CHANGING for untold millions, financially as well as in terms of health.  The ‘blitz’ spirit won’t beat this, but taking the precautions being advised might.

It has been overdramatised in terms of information, what the media has been presenting the last few weeks has been in many cases pretty much gossip presented as fact. If they stuck to the facts, then we wouldn't see the panic stricken behaviour we are right now. I think sensible people understand this is serious, what is fundamentally the problem is the media and profiteering that is going on at peoples expense.

According to the BBC, our government is going to say that all pregnant ladies should stay at home for at least the next 12 weeks imminently. 

Needless to say, the missus is incredibly excited by this news. Tbh as am I, I can’t wait for all the washing and ironing to be back up to date!

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, coldel said:

It has been overdramatised in terms of information, what the media has been presenting the last few weeks has been in many cases pretty much gossip presented as fact. If they stuck to the facts, then we wouldn't see the panic stricken behaviour we are right now. I think sensible people understand this is serious, what is fundamentally the problem is the media and profiteering that is going on at peoples expense.

Agreed, but what I’ve said is fact

6 minutes ago, The G Man said:

Agreed, but what I’ve said is fact

And no one is disagreeing with you. But the vast majority will survive, just like the vast majority survive cardiovascular issues which kill tens of millions globally each year and cancer which does the same and of course war, malnutrition and starvation that kills hundreds of millions.

7 minutes ago, coldel said:

And no one is disagreeing with you. But the vast majority will survive, just like the vast majority survive cardiovascular issues which kill tens of millions globally each year and cancer which does the same and of course war, malnutrition and starvation that kills hundreds of millions.

None of those things are contagious.

• Like 1

That's not the point, the point is that nature kills humans, this will be another thing on the list. How big, remains to be seen. Personally I have witnessed the terror of people realising that we cannot control nature, treat every disease, and the resulting panic driven by media sensationalism. We are all going to die at some point (except Elvis), the vast majority of us will not have corona-virus on our death certificate. 

8 minutes ago, coldel said:

That's not the point, the point is that nature kills humans, this will be another thing on the list. How big, remains to be seen. Personally I have witnessed the terror of people realising that we cannot control nature, treat every disease, and the resulting panic driven by media sensationalism. We are all going to die at some point (except Elvis), the vast majority of us will not have corona-virus on our death certificate. 

May as well not have any health care at all and just accept death is inevitable.

No one is questioning the sensationalism but it can be sensational and a threat, they’re not mutually exclusive. 

No, the point is that it’s a contagious virus.  Not a genetic or self inflicted disease.

the two people I’ve been watching and listening to, in the media, is the PM and FM, they are not sensationalising.  Theirs is a very solemn set of pleas and advice.  

The tabloids and some other outlets are, without doubt, fuelling fear and disinformation.

5 minutes ago, SuperStu said:

May as well not have any health care at all and just accept death is inevitable.

No one is questioning the sensationalism but it can be sensational and a threat, they’re not mutually exclusive. 

A measured response is what he's talking about, which your reply was not.

Health care is fine, but without labouring the point, is that something new and apparently incurable comes along (it will be curable this time next year in all likelihood) and the human mentality goes into utter car crash mode.

The media have not presented the facts, they have mixed reliable information in with headlines designed for clicks based on hearsay which has fed this inherent human trait to react to everything they read and caused untold stress on systems and organisations that should not have otherwise been. How much NHS time has been wasted, working in retail I have seen the stress caused on the 1m or so grocer retail workers who have been working overtime to feed this insatiable requirement to consume stuff - all because of everything I have described above. 

At times of national crisis - we don't need gutter press profiteering with mindless gossip presented as fact. It's irresponsible and downright dangerous.

1 minute ago, coldel said:

Health care is fine, but without labouring the point, is that something new and apparently incurable comes along (it will be curable this time next year in all likelihood) and the human mentality goes into utter car crash mode.

The media have not presented the facts, they have mixed reliable information in with headlines designed for clicks based on hearsay which has fed this inherent human trait to react to everything they read and caused untold stress on systems and organisations that should not have otherwise been. How much NHS time has been wasted, working in retail I have seen the stress caused on the 1m or so grocer retail workers who have been working overtime to feed this insatiable requirement to consume stuff - all because of everything I have described above. 

At times of national crisis - we don't need gutter press profiteering with mindless gossip presented as fact. It's irresponsible and downright dangerous.

No one is arguing anything else other than the gutter press is sensationalising.  The insatiable appetite to consume stuff has always been there and will always be there.

Sales in grocers are up 30% for last week yoy - unheard of, but its putting strain on people who work the stores and work the supply chains. The product is there but the ability to get it to shelves is more difficult. I honestly think once we are through this there needs to be some sort of inquiry into press behaviour, I get the freedom of the press, but its taken to extreme edges of what that stands for to the point its dangerous. 

6 minutes ago, SuperStu said:

Talk us through the measured response then.

Carry on as close to normal as possible. Observe good hygiene. Do what you can to protect the vulnerable. Don't panic buy. Don't go out if you get ill. Pretty standard stuff really.

• Like 1

So all those “keep calm and carry on” posters that got all trendy for us plucky Brits over the last few years have all the time been a load of old bull **** ? We are hopeless at keeping calm and carrying on ;)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coldel said:

Sales in grocers are up 30% for last week yoy - unheard of, but its putting strain on people who work the stores and work the supply chains. The product is there but the ability to get it to shelves is more difficult. I honestly think once we are through this there needs to be some sort of inquiry into press behaviour, I get the freedom of the press, but its taken to extreme edges of what that stands for to the point its dangerous. 

Just because there’s rubbish in the press, people don’t HAVE to do stupid things. The breakdown in personal responsibly is the heart of this (as with many other problems we see) because of excuse culture. There was people freaking out last week that there was no advice, entirely unable to function without someone giving them an instruction, when all you need to do was spend 10 minutes reading to get a very basic grip of how to behave. It’s not restricted to Corona, it’s not even down to the press or social media or Brexit or the Left or the Right. It’s something we’ve been working on for quite some time.

27 minutes ago, BobbyZ said:

Carry on as close to normal as possible. Observe good hygiene. Do what you can to protect the vulnerable. Don't panic buy. Don't go out if you get ill. Pretty standard stuff really.

Which is precisely the advice given.

Government are giving mixed messages to which doesn't fill the public with confidence in the measures they are taking. It was so vague about non essential contact and the matter around pubs, bars and restaurants etc. Suggesting not to visit these establishments, but not shutting down preventing them from claiming on the insurance for forced closure. However uni's and colleagues sill operate as normal, ie potential spread and social contact in abundance.

On a brighter note, living not far from Birmingham airport the lack of noise pollution has been very well received.