Pug meets Morgan

Ekona

No, not this...

Pug_zps8w0ox29t.jpg

But this instead:

This is currently doing the rounds on PH, be interesting to see what other people think before I pass my judgement and view (which I know is annoying, and I berate others for doing it. Do as I say, not as I do etc).

• Like 1

Without knowing the speed of the road being pulled onto, I'd say the Pug was doing maybe 60, if that.

Morgan was clearly leaving some kind of event given the people lining the road and decided to give it some (or as much as he could given the car).

He didn't read the road, or look left.

On the face of it, not being able to see or know what is to the left. Morgan driver seems to be a bit of a bellend. The road ahead closes down from 2 carriageways, so Pug may have been going at 'excessive' speed to overtake something?

Guy in the Morgan was showboating, that was not a normal drawing out of a junction.

I like the pug dog BTW, the guy with it looks a bit creepy :lol:

Morgan never seen or misjudged the speed of the pug IMO, however, the pug probably needs their brakes checked, because they didn't seem to scrub much speed off in the few seconds that he SHOULD have seen the Morgan pull out. I say should because he may not have been paying attention to the road either, or possible speeding.

IMO its all the Morgans fault, he was joining a carriageway and should not have done so until it was safe to do so. Even if the pug was speeding, that didn't cause the accident, the Morgan driving without due care and attention did.

I like the pug dog BTW, the guy with it looks a bit creepy :lol:

Oh I dunno, I think he's rather handsome... :D

Interesting viewpoints. Here's my take on it:

- The Morgan driver is a total moron. Nowhere near enough power to make that stick (GTR would probably have been fine), how on earth he thought he could make that I've no idea. It's a 50mph limit btw, and the angle makes it hard to judge the Pug's speed, but I tend to agree it was likely doing 60mph.

- I think the Pug driver did exactly what was expected of him. Morgan committed to the move at 9secs on the video, the collision happened at 11secs. 2 secs is absolutely no time at all, I'd be amazed if he wasn't braking at the same time he was on the horn (which was actually the right move IMHO, gave the Morgan warning that something was going to happen as he'd clearly not paid enough attention to the Pug) and so had little time to do anything else.

- Basing on averages and stereotypes, I reckon that it's safe to assume that a ten year old (at least) 206 is probably not owned by an enthusiast, so likely the brakes are cheap replacements from Quikfit and the tyres likely the cheapest they had in stock, and probably not brand new or matched either. As such, it probably was braking at the max it could, even though it doesn't look like it's standing on it's nose. Likely the driver was of average skill too, as a more competent driver would've seen the possibility that the Morgan might have decided to go, and would have reduced speed and been covering the brake much earlier.

On the latter front, this is now where I point out that this is exactly the kind of unexpected situation that makes it so important to buy the best you can when it comes to brakes and tyres. I'm not saying that the Pug could've stopped had he been on MPSC2 and 6 pot Brembos, but his chances would've been much better. That said, he did the right thing by simply driving into the Morgan: If he'd avoided him, you can bet the Morgan would've driven off happily and the Pug driver would now be nursing a 100% fault claim on his own insurance. If you're gonna go, and it's not your fault, make sure you take the other bugger with you!

• Like 4

This reminds me of when I was on my way to a dealers to do a trade in deal for a new car. On approaching a Motorway exit that formed a junction with the A road I was driving down, an old bellend in a Merc pulled out from the jct right in front of me, I tried to steer round him while hammering the brakes ( so much in fact I broke the brake pedal sensor under the brake pedal), nope, to no avail, he just kept coming out.

After getting out and being somewhat bewildered at his stupidity, I stayed calm and asked if he was ok, his exact words were 'sorry son, I just didn't see you', I felt a bit sorry for him then but fair play he was admitting, to a point, liability. So after all the usual phone calls etc, my car was still driveable, his was dead. He then came up to me and said, again exact words,'I think you were going a bit too fast'

I replied, 'So what you're saying is, you thought I was going a bit too fast and then decided to pull out in front of me?, I might have to get the police now as you've just tried to kill me!' 'I suggest you have a think of what you are saying and just inform your insurance of the facts'

My car was taken away to be repaired that day, with his insurance admitting full liability:)

• Like 3

This reminds me of when I was on my way to a dealers to do a trade in deal for a new car. On approaching a Motorway exit that formed a junction with the A road I was driving down, an old bellend in a Merc pulled out from the jct right in front of me, I tried to steer round him while hammering the brakes ( so much in fact I broke the brake pedal sensor under the brake pedal), nope, to no avail, he just kept coming out.

After getting out and being somewhat bewildered at his stupidity, I stayed calm and asked if he was ok, his exact words were 'sorry son, I just didn't see you', I felt a bit sorry for him then but fair play he was admitting, to a point, liability. So after all the usual phone calls etc, my car was still driveable, his was dead. He then came up to me and said, again exact words,'I think you were going a bit too fast'

I replied, 'So what you're saying is, you thought I was going a bit too fast and then decided to pull out in front of me?, I might have to get the police now as you've just tried to kill me!' 'I suggest you have a think of what you are saying and just inform your insurance of the facts'

My car was taken away to be repaired that day, with his insurance admitting full liability:)

great response to the situation :lol:. If only I could be as calm and collected in such situation...

Precisely why I filmed the guy in the lorry who drove into my BMW at the services last year, when he admitted to pulling out to his left yet was indicating to the right. I would always film everything these days after an accident, even if all I do is have my phone by my side so it's capturing sound if nothing else.

Precisely why I filmed the guy in the lorry who drove into my BMW at the services last year, when he admitted to pulling out to his left yet was indicating to the right. I would always film everything these days after an accident, even if all I do is have my phone by my side so it's capturing sound if nothing else.

i REALLY need to get a dash cam fitted!

i REALLY need to get a dash cam fitted!

Yup, me too, I think that these are a necessity these days.

Morgan driver's fault 100%

No idea from that video what the visibility to the left was like but there is clearly enougfh room to wait at the central reservation, if there was any doubt about a gap being available which the Morgan driver either did not see properly, misjudged the gap, or I'm afarid his attempt at showing the Morgan was quick off a gravel surface on lock was a complete fail.

Dangerous driving/driving without due care and attention notice coming his way - looks like the police were nearby - maybe monitoring the event anyway.

Agreed on the above. I think a dash cam is vital these days as people change their tune to how things happened to try and avoid a claim etc. I may even get one for the rear of the car.

Luckily I have never been in an accident worth making a fuss about (I nudged the back of a taxi once at a junction when I was a lot younger). I have always said that should anything happen I would at the very least get my phone out and record the conversations that followed. But I fear that should (when) the worst happen one day, I just won't be in the frame of mind to remember this and start recording the conversation.

I've has 2 accidents in my 15 years driving and caused both, nothing serious just not paying attention, both slow speed, second one didn't even do any damage. But I still fitted a dashcam and its worth its weight in gold. I can see them becoming mandatory or at least encouraged and discounting by insurers.

Oh yeah, I agree, Morgan was at fault.

That road looks fiarly open with clear visibility in either direction unless theres some sweeping corner thats not shown?

Im not denying that was a extremely nobbish thing of the morgan to do, but from my own driving style I would've thought the Peugeot could have been more aware at what was happening? Theŕs a road so similar to me and everytime I approach that even if Im speeding, my heads on a swivel

Is it the angle and the road sign, or did the Morgan carry on after?

Carried on for a bit, probably through shock, but did then pull up a few hundred metres up the road.

Luckily I have never been in an accident worth making a fuss about (I nudged the back of a taxi once at a junction when I was a lot younger). I have always said that should anything happen I would at the very least get my phone out and record the conversations that followed. But I fear that should (when) the worst happen one day, I just won't be in the frame of mind to remember this and start recording the conversation.

Nah, I think you will. If you have the presence of forethought to think about it now, you'll more than likely do so on the day. This is how I deal with accidents, and it's a pre-planned thing I've drummed into myself to make sure I do it by instinct.

- Move to a safe place if necessary.

- If not, then engine off straight away.

- Make sure myself and my passenger/s are physically fine.

- Make sure the other driver and their passenger/s are physically fine. People always take priority over cars.

- Judge mental state of the other person. If they're being aggressive, police straight away.

- If okay, grab phone and take as many pics of everything. My car, his car, location, traffic density, weather, CCTV. Anything and everything.

- Only then do I start exchanging details. Ask to see driving licence and take a photo if possible (most people will let you do this, as it's unusual and they can't see anything wrong with it. However, don't let them take a photo of yours, just say you don't have it on you!). Name, address, car details, time, date, signature.

- Go home and have a beer.

Each to their own, people will probably disagree with the order or various details in that, but I work on the basis that I want to make sure everyone goes home alive first.

• Like 1

The second bump (if that) I had, i recorded the conversations and took photos. The guy got out the car complaining his neck was stiff and whip lash complaint was thrown out as it must have been a preexisting condition. my photos showed his car having no damage. In my exp remaining calm and civil is the best way of dealing with any accident.

When I totalled my z, it was because someone pulled into the lane I was in and was going to sideswipe me. I swerved to the right and hit a massive patch of ice, spiralling down the road across 4 lanes of moving traffic hitting the armco three times. The police who attended were really nice and told me I should have stayed where I was and let the other car hit me. They actually wrote me a stonker of an accident report as it was seen on the traffic cameras, however as there was no contact, it was a single vehicle 100% my fault claim.

When I totalled my z, it was because someone pulled into the lane I was in and was going to sideswipe me. I swerved to the right and hit a massive patch of ice, spiralling down the road across 4 lanes of moving traffic hitting the armco three times. The police who attended were really nice and told me I should have stayed where I was and let the other car hit me. They actually wrote me a stonker of an accident report as it was seen on the traffic cameras, however as there was no contact, it was a single vehicle 100% my fault claim.

Ouch that's nasty. Letting yourself be hit is great in theory, but getting your body to override the survival instinct to swerve is not easy.

Stuff.

Ouch that's nasty. Letting yourself be hit is great in theory, but getting your body to override the survival instinct to swerve is not easy.

It was all snowy out and when we came to rest there was a lorry that stopped around 20 ft behind us. On the traffic cameras they thought the lorry hadn't stopped in time, so we had highways, ambulance, fire brigade and multiple police cars dispatched to us :lol: We were probably stopped for 2 minutes before blue lights arrived from all directions :lol: It was at the luton exit for the M1 so I guess they're always reasonably close :lol:

the policeman described the other car as the type of people who say "I've been driving for 30 years with no accidents, they're always happening in my rear view mirror though"

• Like 1

The dash cam isnt a fail safe, a guy on the vx forum had one and showed the other driver in the wrong, the two insurance companies are still "debating" who was at fault, the other driver gave a completely different chain of events in their statement, they obviously didnt know the owner had a dash cam.

Watched this video the other day and imho it was totally the Morgan drivers fault. Whether the insurance will see it that way though I don't know!

Hopefully they'll watch the video and know for sure. I think the Morgan driver saw the camera recording him and just got too carried away. Shame.

Is it the angle and the road sign, or did the Morgan carry on after?

Carried on for a bit, probably through shock, but did then pull up a few hundred metres up the road.

Nah, I think you will. If you have the presence of forethought to think about it now, you'll more than likely do so on the day. This is how I deal with accidents, and it's a pre-planned thing I've drummed into myself to make sure I do it by instinct.

- Move to a safe place if necessary.

- If not, then engine off straight away.

- Make sure myself and my passenger/s are physically fine.

- Make sure the other driver and their passenger/s are physically fine. People always take priority over cars.

- Judge mental state of the other person. If they're being aggressive, police straight away.

- If okay, grab phone and take as many pics of everything. My car, his car, location, traffic density, weather, CCTV. Anything and everything.

- Only then do I start exchanging details. Ask to see driving licence and take a photo if possible (most people will let you do this, as it's unusual and they can't see anything wrong with it. However, don't let them take a photo of yours, just say you don't have it on you!). Name, address, car details, time, date, signature.

- Go home and have a beer.

Each to their own, people will probably disagree with the order or various details in that, but I work on the basis that I want to make sure everyone goes home alive first.

Wow Dan, I've not yet had enough accidents to have a check sheet drawn up, do you have that list on a clipboard in the back of the car?

I jest of course I know Dan can drive I've chased him round a race track ;)