The Model X has landed!!

gangzoom

Nearly 10 years ago I remember taking the Z down a narrow single track country road and thinking this is what driving is about...

8181627592_35a51546b2_z_d.jpg

I couldn't have imagined a decade later I would be on the same road in an electric car made by a company that barely exised back than!!

Our Tesla Model X arrived at the weekend after a 8 months wait, and despite our car been the slowest and cheapest Model X you can buy it's totally redefined what I think a car can/should do!!

A 2.5 ton 6 seater 5 meter long SUV shouldn't feels at home been trashed around the B/unclassified roads but it does. It's a car that on paper has no right to feel so nice to drive quickly, but it like all good cars when hurried it seems to shrink in size and puts a smile on my face. 0-30 mph is painful as your thrown into the seat, after that the acceleration tails off to the same as my old Z, so not that quick but more than enough for family ferrying duties, which since the arrival of my daughter some 11 months ago is the most vital function of our cars. But again I have to keep on reminding my self this is a for all intents and purpose a small van not a 2 seater GT coupe, which is how it feels like to drive!!

Oh and than once you stop driving it there are the gull wing doors that really should't work but do, powered front doors that open/close for you, an endless windscreen, built-in Spotify/web access via 4G to keep you occupied.....It's crazy any car company have managed to build this thing, let alone one thats only been around for a decade!!

The Leaf may have shown me the potential of EVs for the future, the Model X is the future, except its not, its parked in my driveway right now :).

The Tesla dealership resembled a RangeRover car park when I picked up our X, so the word is getting out. As a family wagon nothing else on the market comes close to offering the ability/occasion of the X. The old guard really need to step up their game, time/progress waits for no one.

33419649402_be037c70da_o_d.jpg

32733358834_9cb0460f8f_o_d.jpg

33193215640_695aa67fa5_z_d.jpg

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 4

I take it you like it then?

:lol:

Nice write up, not sure if I like the look or not yet, I certainly don't dislike it but want to see one up close, it dosn't look that big in the pictures.

:thumbs::)

Exactly how I felt about the Macan, surprising how such a relatively big and high-up car can feel just brilliant when you tip the nose in early, get on the gas and just let the clever 4wd stuff pull you round, whilst allowing for a moderate amount of slip. You can quickly see why people just have a small SUV as their only car, when the performance and handling of modern chassis is so good.

Just a shame Tesla can't do anything about the slab of white plastic where the rads would normally be: Even some fake black honeycomb would improve that, especially in white. Maybe a wrap of some kind?

I'm sure it's a lovely machine, but it does nothing for me. It's as desirable to me as a 4 wheeled washing machine or fridge, but then I don't have kids to transport. As a family wagon for short distances, I can see the appeal. I still don't think full electric is the answer, but that's for another thread. :)

Enjoy. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Absolutely the future (oil running out petrol prices will go up etc) - cannot deny Tesla engineering, you can deny their styling though what a hideous looking front end. There is a black one (do look better in black I think as it hides the plasticky look) at the end of my road, big machine and can see why it appeals to families and the like whilst having plenty of grunt.

I will probably end up in an EV at some point in the future for everyday driving, but will always have my roaring old fashioned car for my weekend out on my own :)

Interesting that the reviews I read on this also mention great performance (as you would from a big battery pack and associated motors) but handling was not that great, read that across AE, AC Telegraph and a few others, said the steering was numb and hard to connect to the road? How did you feel? Also rear visibility an issue?

Full EV is clearly the future, but only because we do not have unlimited oil. In 1000 years time when we've run out of the stuff, of course we'll be in EVs.

The problem I have is spending that much money on something that kids are inevitably going to wreck at some point. If I was buying a car purely as something to transport kids in (because no parent is going to rag a car when they've got their own offspring in, so performance is ultimately irrelevant) then I can't see a benefit of buying this or any new premium vehicle when a used Mondeo will do the job just as well, and you won't care when the kids chuck their Weetabix over the seats :lol: You'd save an absolute fortune.

Alfie is an expert at wrecking our family car which is why we spent £1500 on a Megane which gets dirty bikes thrown in it, footballs, dogs (not ours!), food, sick etc. If I were spending circa £60k-£80k it wouldn't be on something to ferry kids around in - but all to their own :)

• Like 1

Full EV is clearly the future, but only because we do not have unlimited oil. In 1000 years time when we've run out of the stuff, of course we'll be in EVs.

The problem I have is spending that much money on something that kids are inevitably going to wreck at some point. If I was buying a car purely as something to transport kids in (because no parent is going to rag a car when they've got their own offspring in, so performance is ultimately irrelevant) then I can't see a benefit of buying this or any new premium vehicle when a used Mondeo will do the job just as well, and you won't care when the kids chuck their Weetabix over the seats :lol: You'd save an absolute fortune.

Its just a car, dont worry so much :p

• Like 1

I think the look of the X is not bad, it's not great and the front is just awful its not a car you get out of and look back at, twice. For me I am really against the tablet centre consoles that Tesla seem to think is necessary for an EV (thats the real jetson thing they need to lose I think) - its just a huge distraction and as there is nothing tactile about it you have to take your eyes off the road to operate it.

I'm quite a fan of Tesla and I'd love a p100d, I don't necessarily think they are the future i can see other companies coming forward with a more practical option and I dont think that Tesla will be around in 15 years as the mainstream manufacturers will force them out , they are making everyone think though .

What with the pace of development with batteries i reckon within 20 years ICE will very much be in the minority

I'm quite a fan of Tesla and I'd love a p100d, I don't necessarily think they are the future i can see other companies coming forward with a more practical option and I dont think that Tesla will be around in 15 years as the mainstream manufacturers will force them out , they are making everyone think though .

What with the pace of development with batteries i reckon within 20 years ICE will very much be in the minority

Interesting I hear this from people, but the numbers don't stack up as well. Something like 40m cars in the UK and around 2m sold new each year - around 3-5% sold new are EVs. Around 5% of the 40m are currently EVs. So to get to a majority you have to physically sell lets say 30m EVs over the next 20 years. Given status quo of the current situation that would mean selling 1.5m EVs per year for the next 20 years out of the 2m new cars being sold annually at the moment, every year, starting now. This is just not going to happen. I cannot see it personally.

The only way it could happen is if the major manufacturers turn their sales/R&D policy around in the next 2-3 years to be EV first because some major world event means EV has to be prioritised over petrol/diesel (which could happen).

Just some thoughts anyway...

Just no! Awful looking thing and I agree with the white goods sentiment. Also full EV isn't necessarily the future and oil isn't the only source of fuel. EV will be a constitute in the future and will compliment some sort of power generation capacity but it won't be stand alone that's for sure.

What's the range on one of these now, how long is a charge going to take?

Interesting I hear this from people, but the numbers don't stack up as well. Something like 40m cars in the UK and around 2m sold new each year - around 3-5% sold new are EVs. Around 5% of the 40m are currently EVs. So to get to a majority you have to physically sell lets say 30m EVs over the next 20 years. Given status quo of the current situation that would mean selling 1.5m EVs per year for the next 20 years out of the 2m new cars being sold annually at the moment, every year, starting now. This is just not going to happen. I cannot see it personally.

The only way it could happen is if the major manufacturers turn their sales/R&D policy around in the next 2-3 years to be EV first because some major world event means EV has to be prioritised over petrol/diesel (which could happen).

Well I reckon diesels will be more or less priced off the roads within 7-10 years no doubt supported by a scrappage scheme like last time. Hybrids are the stop gap at the moment offering the best of both worlds but the technology is still expensive and people need to be encouraged ie taxed to make the right decision

If you think where electric cars were just 10 years ago and where they are now , all the big players either have electric vehicles in their range or hybrids, people would not have predicted that 10 years back, with major developments in battery technology just around the corner, EV's are so much more of a possibility than anything else

If you look outside of the UK countries like Norway have vehicle sales dominated by EV's or Hybrids thanks to various perks for those who bought them, which is pretty much the same tactic that fueled the massive surge in diesel cars 10 years ago, is this carries on then within 10 years ICE will be in the minority there, things will move much faster than many people can believe

As in you like them, or you don't?

Dont! Still, they are "different" i guess!

You and me both. Suicide doors I can live with, but gullwing on a van? Not sure what they were thinking.

Its called understanding their market , they will largely be bought by soccer moms , getting a child/children into child seats is going to be made significantly easier with these doors

• Like 1

Well I reckon diesels will be more or less priced off the roads within 7-10 years no doubt supported by a scrappage scheme like last time. Hybrids are the stop gap at the moment offering the best of both worlds but the technology is still expensive and people need to be encouraged ie taxed to make the right decision

If you think where electric cars were just 10 years ago and where they are now , all the big players either have electric vehicles in their range or hybrids, people would not have predicted that 10 years back, with major developments in battery technology just around the corner, EV's are so much more of a possibility than anything else

If you look outside of the UK countries like Norway have vehicle sales dominated by EV's or Hybrids thanks to various perks for those who bought them, which is pretty much the same tactic that fueled the massive surge in diesel cars 10 years ago, is this carries on then within 10 years ICE will be in the minority there, things will move much faster than many people can believe

I still have friends from my old job working European markets who are in Denmark and surrounding countries - the reason EV took off is their super strict policies (and costs) around emissions as well as the big incentives to buying EV (many of which are rescinded now because even at 50% starting income tax rates the country cannot sustain it). I remember when I was in Oslo 3 years ago the Model S was the most common taxi car.

EVs have been around for two decades, Tesla have been at it for nearly as long. Its not like they suddenly produced an EV over the last couple of years.

There are still so many barriers to overcome, most of all infrastructure (how do you charge these things if you do not own your own private space to charge from home) that if you want to increase sales of EV each year from under a few percent to fifty plus. Additionally the average cost of a new car in the UK currently is around £20k I think, if EV wants to be the majority, then it needs to be affordable to that lower half of the population buying cars under £20k.

In my recent car buying mission one of my mates made an excellent argument for buying a Tesla.

He had been driving an S500 Merc before and put it like this: "I used to spend £400 a month on fuel. Now I spend £500 a month but I have a brand new Space Car that drives itself"

Compelling, to say the least :)

Incentives are no new thing even here hence the scrappage scheme but it works both ways look at whats happening in France ie Paris, Lyon and Grenoble with emissions , schemes like this will pay for other incentives

Electric cars have been around since the 1880's but the Tesla roadster was 2008 (Thats NINE years) but look how quickly things have developed they alone have a massive infrastructure

I would think that countries like Norway have plenty of charging points as these are used during winter to keep engine blocks warm, when I lived in Canada most parking spaces had hook ups

Things will take time but people will be shocked , you only need to look at the mobile phone industry , my mum had a car phone in 1990 , you could barely use it there was no infrastructure and the battery lasted less than 1 hour , with 10 years MOST people had a mobile phone, the battery lasted 4 days and there was a nationwide network.

Aye no argument about the cost of running it - cost of entry is highly prohibitive though which is why Norway Denmark etc throw huge amounts of the countries budget at overcoming that. As GZ said he spent £250 on electricity on the leaf in 18 months or something which is great.

I think the arguments are clearly there, the real world though sits outside a theoretical debate on the pros and cons. The UK is still selling 2m new vehicles a year of which 98.5% are ICE, its likely that many of these cars will still be on the road in 5-10 years time. EV growth in the UK has gone from a market share of something like 0.5% three years ago to 1.5% now - yes it will grow, but to be a majority in say 15 years time they need to be selling at 50% market share now.

Rich I get what you are saying, I know EV will become massive, but the time scales are unrealistic unless something big happens. The UK is not going to give the incentives that Scandinavian countries do, there are no companies putting their hands up to put in the infrastructure at scale to get EVs to huge proportions right now (the mobile phone example is irellevant as cost of entry is nothing like the cost of entry for EV cars, phones were made free in some cases, cars will never be).

If I were going to stick money on it, EVs to overtake ICE in market share (without any large scale event i.e. oil, government turning hugely green like Scandinavia etc) - 2050?