My weekend of rubbishness

Ekona

This will be a long one folks, but it's nearly 2am and I'm in agony and need somewhere to vent/rant/discuss. *NB wrote this last night*

Last Sunday about 1400 I started to get some acute back pain near my shoulder blades. I tried a warm bath and an ice pack, but nothing shifted it. By the time the other half had come home I was rolling on the floor in agony, and about 1700 I'd had enough and called an ambulance. Ever noticed how they're really quick to attend unless you're in pain?!

Taken from Halstead to Colchester General, no pain relief in the bus as I have a naturally low heart rate so paramedics couldn't risk morphine. Got to hospital, even the ambulances were queuing and I had to wait 20 mins just to get assessed. To put the pain in context, it was like someone squeezing my spine with barbed wire, and even at 37 I was laying on the gurney in tears, sucking as much entenox as I could get (went through two cylinders in the end). Got assessed, poked my back looking for prolapsed disc near shoulder blades, nothing. When poking my front the doctor elicited a sharp bit of pain from under my RHS rib cage is not noticed, but my back was hurting so much that wasn't surprising. Didn't say anything of it.

10ml of morphine, 2mg of diazepam and a suppository of diclofenac later and everything seemed to settle down. Still uncomfy, but not in agony. Hospital gave me a bunch of co-codomol to take home but only one day of diazepam, as apparently that's their rules here. I was told to see my GP first thing Monday morning to get a week's supply.

Eventually get through to my GP, receptionist says that a phone conversation will do rather than an appointment. Not being keen to walk anywhere and happy to go with the system, I agree. Doc calls back about an hour later, nope can't do that on the phone, you'll have to come in. Right, okay. Receptionist calls back, no appointments until midday Tuesday so I'll be over 12 hours out if painkillers by then. Yay!

See my GP, never met her before and she was great, said it was stupid the hospital didn't give me more as she could see the pain I was in. Gave me a ton of diazepam, and some string things to replace the ibuprofen I was talking. Really helpful lady.

Then we fast forward to Friday morning, 0100.

I wake up in agony again, neck a diazepam out of sequence but I need something. Nothing. Take some co-codomol at 0300. Nothing. Leave it until 0400 as I didn't want to wake the missus and tue called the ambulance again. They decided to make me speak to a clinical supervisor first, so the ambulance was delayed by about 40mins. Once again, I'm laying in the floor crying my eyes out

This time I get morphine in the bus, but it's not really doing anything. 0530 and I'm being assessed, my cv more thorough than before, and again the doctor pokes my stomach. This time I nearly punch her in the face, so she goes to get an ultrasound machine & operator. The coolest guy ever comes back in with the machine (ignoring the obvious joke, he was really nice) and points out my gallbladder is inflamed and has 'sludge' under it. Stones or infection he says, time for an X-ray. Off I trot, X-ray done, saw a surgeon who had been on all night and looked exhausted, basically said they'll admit me and probably have to remove the GB. It's about 0800 at this point.

Now I'm transferred to a ward and it all falls apart. All I need is a simple ultrasound to confirm, but it's now done 0200 on Saturday and no-one has seen me. I'm NBM but still the nurses woke me to ask if I wanted food. The oral morphine isn't touching the pain, I asked at 1130 for something stronger but only got it at 0130 because there's only one doctor (still not seen him, I assume he looked at my notes and just prescribed there and then).

No-one is doing anything. I'm exhausted bu can't sleep because of the pain, I just want a simple scan to see where we go next. In a room with five other much older men: One guy KEEPS TALKING ON HIS PHONE, one guy in the corner is just chilling, one guy is at death's door and I feel dreadful for him, and two guys here are on forced air to help them breather. It sounds like Darth Vader being raped by helium balloon canisters. Not their fault, but there's two empty rooms on the ward so why not put them in there for the night?

Nurse turned my bedside light on and walked off, I can't reach it. Why didn't the doctor who found my GB pain on Sunday not follow it up? I found that weird at the time, but I'm no doctor so didn't say anything. Just lying here in acute pain (finally MTFU'd and stopped crying though :D ), just really stupid. If they couldn't find me space for an ultrasound all day Friday, what chance Saturday? I'm so fed up. If this had happened on Thursday I could've gone private as I have cover, but it's too late now.

And with all the co-codomol I've taken I've not had a sh*t in a week, and the laxative they came me has done nowt :lol: :lol:

Sorry folks, I'm just rambling. Just fed up of all this, it's just rubbish :(

EDIT: Poo Birth Game link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k2VBXpn9iHafK4T_6DuIbW4TmzQLk7etTnVMIvWwlt0/htmlview

Edited by Ekona
  • Like 1

Also just been told this morning I'll be here until Monday at least, still NBM, and am awaiting a doctor visit. Had more morphine which isn't touching the pain now, and more laxatives but still no pony :(

• Like 1

That really sucks mate, hope they fix you up soon or at least get you some better drugs.

Couldn't have picked a better time though, with the NHS in rude health and well funded and over staffed, once we get shot of all those foreign doctors and nurses it'll be even better ;)

Chin up. It's not like you've got man flu.

• Like 3

Also, Colchester General is/was in special measures because they were killing everyone :lol:

Actually, the foreign nurse dispensing drugs to people this morning could do with some English lessons, the old guys in here cannot understand a word she is saying and even I struggled. I mean, she has a nice bum so I forgave her, but even so.

• Like 2

You found the fit nurse? I always thought it was a myth perpetuated by Sid James!

Just don't tell the wife, the only reason she's letting me stay is because she thinks they're all ugly here...

Bwwwaaahhhhaahhhhaaaaahhhhaahaaaaaaa

mpw-63614.jpg

• Like 1

Flip that sounds awful. At least you know what it is now. Gall bladder is probably the best result though, rather than some sort of spinal damage which can't be fixed. What are the string meds you mentioned which replaced other meds you were on?

I have no idea any more, doctors are speaking over me when I'm dozing rather than to me. Think fit nurse is going to do something with my double cannula, and they're not doing another scan now just waiting for better results of the other one (!).

Such a waste of time, the NHS is a crock of sh*t. The poor guy across from me, the dying one, got brought some porridge then it wasn't until 20 mins later a nurse actually came back to feed it to him :( Loud phone guy next to me is in agony and no-one does anything for him.

apparently no contest between gall stones and kidney stones ............ it's a draw - I feel for you

but on the up side my wife says its still not as bad as giving birth - she's now recovering nicely and is back on solids :teeth:

• Like 1

Also, Colchester General is/was in special measures because they were killing everyone :lol:

Actually, the foreign nurse dispensing drugs to people this morning could do with some English lessons, the old guys in here cannot understand a word she is saying and even I struggled. I mean, she has a nice bum so I forgave her, but even so.

Pics? :lol:

Sorry dude, hope some progress is being made.

Peace be with you.

Just been for a scan, only taken 26 hours to arrange, turns out it's a definite stuck gallstone and the bladder will more than likely have to come out. Will have to wait to see the doctor to confirm though.

Fancy a laugh? I asked fit nurse how often I can have morphine, she started counting on her fingers and just walked off!

Sorry to hear all this mate. It's not until you've been to an NHS hospital that you realise how f**ked the system has become. I had a pleasant stay in October 2015 with acute duodenitis... which wasn't diagnosed until around a month later when I saw someone who knew what he was doing. 4 days and nights I was in a ward with very little pain relief despite being unable to stay still due to the pain I was in. The best part was waking up at 2 am with no water and an empty drip. I had to wander the hospital for about 20 mins to find someone to beg for some water. I also had to tearfully beg for proper pain relief, rather than the paracetamol they wanted to give me... There were people far worse off than me though, so I shouldn't really complain...

But... I now gladly pay for private medical insurance.

Hope you get sorted soon! :(

• Like 1

NHS is truly dreadful. At least now when I'm out of here next week I can pick and choose when I get get the bladder removal done.

And apparently my RHS kidney has two sections to it! Not that uncommon apparently, but I'd never heard of it.

I am still in shock you are only 37 by the posts you make !! :lol:

Thought you were at least 90 to be so grumpy so often !! :wacko:

At least you have reason this time !!

Hopefully the NHS pulls round for you. Can you really not swop over to your Private Health now ?

I would certainly try.

Good Luck

• Like 1