I bought a Pulsar GTiR

Rock_Steady

Yes! i finally bought one.

Newly resprayed in Black inside and out( original colour )

K-sport 6 pot calipers on the front

Hybrid ball bearing turbo

Blitz EBC

Coilovers

Mongoose system

FMIC

Stand alone ECU

Mapped at TDI north: 302hp @ the fly

Story is, I bought it from a chap in Preston. A long distance from where i am, roughly a 3.5 hour drive. So, on Sunday i set off with my dad @ 4am to be there for 7am. Now, i didn't have the time to go the bank to get the money so i sent the money to my dad's account and he drew it out as he is now retired and has the time to do so unlike myself. My dad was coming along for kicks.

Dad turns up and we were off to Preston. 2 hours into the journey near Manchester my dad and i were talking, laughing and joking about this ,that and the other when i said " ooo, where did you put the cash? " ..... long silence, then he turns to me and says " Simon, i've forgotten the cash " to which i replied " hahahaha! you're a funny guy.. No really where is it? is it in the bag with the sandwiches?" his pale face then turns to me again and says " No, really, i've forgotten the cash" I put my head in my hands and tried to search for what to do next. Going back was not an attractive option. I had the sellers bank details with me, so i suggested that we could make the transaction electronically, but my dad didn't have his card reader to do so. Bollocks!

we called my mum and told her what had happened and asked her if she could do it from home on the laptop. Now, my mum who has had an internet account for 8 years has only used it twice. After sitting in a lay-by somewhere near Manchester for 50 minutes listening to my mum painfully trying to get into her account, failed. So, back to Cambridgeshire it was.

We went all the way back to get the money and set off once again. Positively writhing with frustration we finally arrived in Preston only to be presented with a closed road that we needed to take to get to where we wanted to go. I pulled over and called the seller to ask how we could get to him. He said " oh, well i've just moved here and don;t know Preston at all. Toss and ****!!! After buggering about in Preston for an hour i decided to stop and ask someone in a tire centre. People in Preston couldn't've been more helpful as a crowd surrounded me arguing about the best way to go. I almost threw in the towel.

In the end i found out where he was and was so relieved to see that the pulsar was just as he described. which was in very good nick with lots of MOTs and receipts. I bought it and drove it back home.

All in all i left my house @ 4am and got back home @ 20:15 hours. 12 hours driving on my part and 4 for my dad. I was so glad the whole thing was over and i now have a gleaming black Pulsar on my drive way.

Pics to follow shortly. :)

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 8

Yesterday? I have a feeling I might have passed you on the A14, I certainly went past a GTI-R ........... :lol:

Get the pics up quick smart, BTW you would have had a hybrid BB turbot as standard, what management is it running though? :)

Ah, thanks for that! i didn't know that about standard GTiRs. He mentioned a ball bearing turbo as if it were not the standard part, but it has recently been rebuilt, which is a bonus. In regards to the management, it was mapped on a chipped ECU, but it's currently on a Link ECU Edited by Rock_Steady

I will get some pics up soon. It's been raining here in the last few days, and i have been clearing out the garage and laying carpet down for the arrival of the Pulsar.

There are some issues though, but not negative just things i'd like to change.

It is completely, and i do mean completely stripped out. No sound deadening, carpet, back seats or plastics in the back. It has nearly new cobra racing seats with harnesses. These look very cool but unfortunately i don't have Cobra Kidneys, after driving it for 3 hours i thought i was going to have kidney failure. The battery has been re-located to the boot which is fine. It also has a battery cut off supply in the centre arm rest. I might have to ditch that. I'd like to get the inside back up to a more standard spec.

The wheels are Super Leggras, which i like but they really do need a refurb and in a different colour as they're black at the moment. Maybe dark grey.

Brakes need to refurb too. They aren't mangled they look good, just they could do with a re-spray.

Engine bay looks o.k but it needs a bloody good clean and a tidy up.

I'll do all this over time as it's going to be my project. I am going to rebuild the engine too. Not sure when but fairly soon. I'll enjoy it as it is for the moment while i source the parts. Once i have what i need, the fun will start :)

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 1

Yesterday? I have a feeling I might have passed you on the A14, I certainly went past a GTI-R ........... :lol:

Get the pics up quick smart, BTW you would have had a hybrid BB turbot as standard, what management is it running though? :)

Ah, thanks for that! i didn't know that about standard GTiRs. He mentioned a ball bearing turbo as if it were not the standard part, but it has recently been rebuilt, which is a bonus. In regards to the management, it was mapped on a chipped ECU, but it's currently on a Link ECU

Anything you need just give me a shout, I know the cares and the engines pretty well. If youre ever looking for a remap then Id strongly recommend Martin Battye @ MB Automotive, hes somewhere near Northampton IIRC and knows his stuff.

Anything SR20 related Id strongly advise using www.sxoc.com/vbb for info, its seriously the best forum for it and TBH is probably as good as anywhere for GTI-R info as well as there are a few old owners lurking about. Standard turbo was reckoned to be worse than the standard S14 turbo so a hybrid will be a decent improvement, if its just been rebuilt more the better :)

ETA: TBF the original turbo could be described as a hybrid as it was a T28 with a bigger exhaust housing but it may well be that yours is aftermarket so dont be too hard on the guy lol

BTW, if you rebuild the engine with forged pistons, stick bigger injectors on it and a GT2871R it wont cost much more than standard but will happily do just under 500hp ......... ;)

Edited by docwra
  • Like 1

Ah, thanks for that! i didn't know that about standard GTiRs. He mentioned a ball bearing turbo as if it were not the standard part, but it has recently been rebuilt, which is a bonus. In regards to the management, it was mapped on a chipped ECU, but it's currently on a Link ECU

Anything you need just give me a shout, I know the cares and the engines pretty well. If youre ever looking for a remap then Id strongly recommend Martin Battye @ MB Automotive, hes somewhere near Northampton IIRC and knows his stuff.

Anything SR20 related Id strongly advise using www.sxoc.com/vbb for info, its seriously the best forum for it and TBH is probably as good as anywhere for GTI-R info as well as there are a few old owners lurking about. Standard turbo was reckoned to be worse than the standard S14 turbo so a hybrid will be a decent improvement, if its just been rebuilt more the better :)

ETA: TBF the original turbo could be described as a hybrid as it was a T28 with a bigger exhaust housing but it may well be that yours is aftermarket so dont be too hard on the guy lol

BTW, if you rebuild the engine with forged pistons, stick bigger injectors on it and a GT2871R it wont cost much more than standard but will happily do just under 500hp ......... ;)

Thanks for this docwra. i'm definitely going to check out those forums. nothing like a wealth of info and a good read. I may have to pick your brain at some point too if that's o.k.

At the moment the power it's kicking out is nothing short of balls out fun. It really gets a move on. I can't imagine what 500hp would feel like that car as light as it is. The seller said it can do a 12.1 quarter mile. After giving it a bit of a hiding i can well believe him.

Edited by Rock_Steady

500bhp... bye bye gearbox.........

I'd personally like 350bhp similar lb-ft and no more, why?

Yeah, i know gearboxes are not the best in the Pulsar. Obviously it would have to be changed but all this is much further down the line. I'm happy with what i've got.

Looks like the weekend is the first instance i'm going to get to take photos.