Upgrading to a 370z

Neil

Had my 370 a month now,went for the auto but as yet not convinced paddle shift is right for me,at times when I want to change up all I get is an annoying beep and I'm held in the gear the box chooses,so I find myself being lazy and leaving it in auto.However I love the look and the way it goes !

What revs are you at when you try to shift up? as far as I can tell from 1 to 5 it has to be at or above 2k before it will shift up which is fine. If you try to drive it like a normal gearbox in manual it wont be happy, use each gear as you shift up or down and it behaves much more reasonably. I only use manual when I want to put on a bit of pace and it reacts perfectly.

Had my 370 a month now,went for the auto but as yet not convinced paddle shift is right for me,at times when I want to change up all I get is an annoying beep and I'm held in the gear the box chooses,so I find myself being lazy and leaving it in auto.However I love the look and the way it goes !

What revs are you at when you try to shift up? as far as I can tell from 1 to 5 it has to be at or above 2k before it will shift up which is fine. If you try to drive it like a normal gearbox in manual it wont be happy, use each gear as you shift up or down and it behaves much more reasonably. I only use manual when I want to put on a bit of pace and it reacts perfectly.

Driver error, not gearbox error :)

I have only had the beep when driving like a nun and trying to change into 4th at less than 30mph.

But usually in slow traffic situations, or town driving, i am in full 'wafting' auto anyway.

I have only had the beep when driving like a nun and trying to change into 4th at less than 30mph.

But usually in slow traffic situations, or town driving, i am in full 'wafting' auto anyway.

the full auto is nice for just pootling around although I found it doesnt enjoy trying to match other drives speeds.

I agree.

The beeping noise does happen, but only when I'm trying to change up in manual mode at 2000rpm or under, but that's too low to be changing up in manual mode, it's not a Prius and it's not a minicab!

To me, manual mode is sport mode, I switch to it when I want the drive to be fun (which is almost all the time), I only go into auto if stuck in traffic on the motorway or car parks.

Edited by Richesio
  • Like 1

I went from a supercharged 350 to a supercharged 370 loved em both, Wil370 did a very good review earlier except he lied he must be at least 6'8 :lol:

I would say the 370 is much more comfortable for long distances and high speed cruising - our 500 mile trip to the ring was a blast but the 350 is more a drivers car but my 350 was track setup so very responsive but a very harsh ride.

Each to their own, test drive them both and see what you prefer :)

Good luck :thumbs:

Edited by Keyser

I went from a supercharged 350 to a supercharged 370 loved em both, Wil370 did a very good review earlier except he lied he must be at least 6'8 :lol:

I would say the 370 is much more comfortable for long distances and high speed cruising - our 500 mile trip to the ring was a blast but the 350 is more a drivers car but my 350 was track setup so very responsive but a very harsh ride.

Each to their own, test drive them both and see what you prefer :)

Good luck :thumbs:

Thank you.

I assume you know Wil370 or you'll be in trouble :lol:

One question - is the ground clearance on a Nismo the same as a GT? I like the red sill on front and it would be gutting to scatch it.

Neil

Edited by Neil

It looks like your zed is an older one, but I had a 370z for a week whilst my 350z HR was with Nissan for some work. The sales guy basically gave me their new 370z demo car which was fully spec`d up. I seem to recall the price he took out of the screen was something like £36k, although it was a good few years back now. He was convinced he`d get me to "upgrade".

I just didnt like it at all. It`s styling looked longer and narrower than the 350z when in reality its the other way around. My 350z HR felt quicker, more responsive and just a much better driving experience. The only area I really did like of the 370z was the interior. It made my facelifted 350z look very dated. Also the multi-media system was miles better than the ancient bose sat nav in my 350z. So for me, the move from a 350zHR to a 370z wasnt worth it. But from an older 350z you might notice a huge difference.

Its all a personal thing though. Test drive a couple, you may love them or hate them!

Exactly my experience too, maybe it had something to do with the later model HRs in comparison

It's been a while since I've been on here. The reason being I changed my 2006 manual 350z for a 2010 auto 370z and hated it in the end, to be honest one of my worst car decisions. I kept the 350z for over 3 years, the 370z lasted less than a year. In that time drove the 370 half the amount I did the 350, purely because I didn't enjoy it. As others have said the manual 350z is more of a drivers car and more fun. That's my view at least....and we all have our own opinions. My recommendation is go and drive a manual and auto 370z before making the move, make sure you really enjoy it. The good news is I only lost £500 on the 370 for a years driving :)

I agree.

The beeping noise does happen, but only when I'm trying to change up in manual mode at 2000rpm or under, but that's too low to be changing up in manual mode, it's not a Prius and it's not a minicab!

To me, manual mode is sport mode, I switch to it when I want the drive to be fun (which is almost all the time), I only go into auto if stuck in traffic on the motorway or car parks.

Yes I realise why it happens,I was simply saying for the benefit of the O/P that it doesn't respond in manual mode like a manual car.In my 350 manual I could be in any gear I decided suited me at the time,so personally I think the auto doesn't do it for me,driver error indeed ,I bought the wrong model !

Love my 370z, but have always been a fan of them, even without the biased of GT Academy! However 1 thing I wasn't expecting was the amount of head turns it gets everywhere! Puts a smile on lots of peoples faces when you drive by them (Especially kids when you drive by them, I took some dash cam footage off a few months ago of some kids stopping and actually cheering :D) and that's always fun :)! I have a 2013 GT Edition Semi-Auto, and it's perfect for me in my mind. As a daily I can sit in Auto, if I suddenly want a play hit a paddle shift and I can have some fun as I hit the dual carriageway :D! One thing to note actually is if you put your foot down in Auto the car will take a second to decide what it wants to do, but that's what paddle shift is for right :D? Once you've finished your fun it will jump straight back into auto (You can of course switch to full manual mode)!

The only bad thing I've found at the moment is a spider keeps making it's web across my rear view camera so you can't see a thing haha! Fortunately no spider has appeared on there, and scaring the life out of me!

• Like 1

The only bad thing I've found at the moment is a spider keeps making it's web across my rear view camera so you can't see a thing haha! Fortunately no spider has appeared on there, and scaring the life out of me!

Hahaha! Had exactly that on the wifes rear view cam once the other year and my god it was like something out of a horror film. Spider completely filled the dash screen. When I went out (well, was sent out by the wife) to investigate the actual spider was really small!

350 to 370 2 years ago and loving it. I would NEVER go back to a 350 now.

The 370 engine really suits the auto paddle shift box, it certainly is not a BMW M engine (E46) but much more of a touring engine that you can have great fun with.

Go drive various types, that should be part of the fun and then choose.

For me having a 370Z in the stable for the future is a must.

• Like 1

Hi All,

had a look at a 370z (thanks again for your feedback) and I'm definitely going to take the plunge.

One question though...

Is anyone using an external SSD via the USB port to play their music? Or even a USB memory stick? I know there is a 9Gb capacity in the Nissan head unit, but I would like to use my SSD, as I currently use with my Pioneer Head Unit (soon to be for sale :))

I plugged it into the 370z USB port and nothing happened? The technician couldn't work it out either. I am thinking that because there is a lot of music on the drive it would take time to scan the drive first perhaps?

Thanks

Neil

Hi All,

had a look at a 370z (thanks again for your feedback) and I'm definitely going to take the plunge.

One question though...

Is anyone using an external SSD via the USB port to play their music? Or even a USB memory stick? I know there is a 9Gb capacity in the Nissan head unit, but I would like to use my SSD, as I currently use with my Pioneer Head Unit (soon to be for sale :))

I plugged it into the 370z USB port and nothing happened? The technician couldn't work it out either. I am thinking that because there is a lot of music on the drive it would take time to scan the drive first perhaps?

Thanks

Neil

I bought a soundfly aux out MP3 Player for Sd card/USB. Plugged that into the USB port then plugged my USB stick into it, tuned it to one of the radio's so I could listen to my music. My Aux in jack has packed up and haven't had the time or money to get it replaced. I was plugging my phone into that before to play music.

Hi All,

One question though...

Thanks

Neil

I bought a soundfly aux out MP3 Player for Sd card/USB. Plugged that into the USB port then plugged my USB stick into it, tuned it to one of the radio's so I could listen to my music. My Aux in jack has packed up and haven't had the time or money to get it replaced. I was plugging my phone into that before to play music.

Sorry, getting mixed up.... I plugged the MP3 into the cigarette lighter socket NOT USB port as there isn't one! :blush: Mine's a 2009.

I'm using an old iPod Nano I had lying around from the days when I was a 'Hip Dude' :p An issue I found with just a USB stick was the headunit didn't sort the songs by the folder structure on the stick, just presenting you with an endless list of ALL your songs with no easy way to search for something in particular.

If you know that you're only ever going to set it to shuffle and leave it, then a USB stick is fine - otherwise it turns into a massive ball-ache when you want to find that perfect rockin' track to blast too.

I'm using an old iPod Nano I had lying around from the days when I was a 'Hip Dude' :p An issue I found with just a USB stick was the headunit didn't sort the songs by the folder structure on the stick, just presenting you with an endless list of ALL your songs with no easy way to search for something in particular.

If you know that you're only ever going to set it to shuffle and leave it, then a USB stick is fine - otherwise it turns into a massive ball-ache when you want to find that perfect rockin' track to blast too.

That's not good to hear mate.

Have you tried the onboard HDD feature? is that the same?

I haven't tried the onboard HDD - iirc you have to load it by feeding the CDs, rather than being able to transfer stuff off a stick, However, I'm trying to remember something I read a year ago, before very quickly deciding on going the iPod route, so I could be talking out my ......

Just a thought...........

I know CDs are old hat but had my six favourite discs in the 370 that when I did play one you all the details on the screen and easy to locate the tracks you wanted.

Sad to say that Brown Sugar got overplayed.....

But the best music for me was that played by the 370 with the synchro rev 'encouraging' gear changes far more than necessary. Lol

I'll get me coat now!

• Like 1