Wet look finish

zebedy

Appologies if its been asked before, but how can I obtain that really wet look that feature so much on cars that have been featured in mags and e-media and the such. Is it down to photoshoping or are there product out there can obtain the wet gloss look.

Sorry Im a complete noob when it comes to detailing. I normally pressure wash the car down, then snow foam, then hose off, wash with Autoglym using two buckets method, hose off, dry with usually two large micro cloths, apply Autoglym Super Resin polish and polish off, then finally use Poorboys Natty Hard wax to finish.

Please point me in the right direction with products. I do not want to create more work than what i do now as this takes about 1hr to 1.5hr, which in my life is the max I can spend on a sunday morning.

Help me get that look :-(

cheers

ZZZeb.

It's all about the polishing. The longer you spend on that, the better your result.

If 1.5hrs is all you can spare, and nothing wrong with that, then I'd ditch the snow foam and TBM, just get the car as clean as you can as quickly as you can (don't worry about adding swirls, you're about to remove them!) then spend your time with a decent polish. SRP will work if that's what you already have, and just take your time until you get the finish you want. You can always use a liquid wax instead of the Nattys to shorten the waxing stage, giving you more time on the polishing stage.

To be honest, really you need to be looking at a minimum of a day for the whole car, however no reason you can't split that up over multiple weeks! Do a panel at a time, literally just wash, polish then protect that panel, then the next week do the next one. Once you've done them all then go back to the snow foam & TBM method, skip the polish and just top up the wax if required. :)

• Like 1

If its dark.

Decontaminate

Polish with a buffer (DA)

Blackhole glaze

R222 concours wax.

Obviously thats the short and sweet version but youll get depth and gloss in the paint.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I’m an absolute novice but it’s fairly easy, if you’ve got the time!

I rinse, shampoo and dry.

Then maybe once a year clay bar the car (probably more like once every 2 years)

Then one layer of glaze – I’ve been using black hole glaze even though my cars silver, but have 50 cal to try next.

Then 2 layers of sealant – Dodo Juice Supernatural sealant

Then as many layers of wax as I can be bothered with (usually 1-3) – Dodo Juice Supernatural wax

I leave 30 minutes between coats (buff off after every coat) I normally just go and have lunch or clean the interior.

I usually spend 3-4 hours on it and find this lasts ~6-8 months. Depends on how long the sealant holds up for.

All I need to do in between is do a quick rinse/shampoo and dry the car with a quick detailer (Chemical boys Speed wipe). I can do the car in 15 minutes and it brings back the wet look.

• Like 1

I normally pressure wash the car down, then snow foam, then hose off, wash with Autoglym using two buckets method, hose off, dry with usually two large micro cloths, apply Autoglym Super Resin polish and polish off, then finally use Poorboys Natty Hard wax to finish.

I'm going to address you're current process first;

Foam onto a dry car and then pressure wash off, then wash & dry as usual (although for the record, Autoglym Shampoo isn't my preference, but more importantly it'll actually be weakening/stripping your wax whenever you use it).

Given the time constraints, once the car is dry apply an oily glaze (Poorboys Black Hole/White Diamond or Auto Finesse Ultra Glaze would be my choice) followed by Natty's (Blue seems to give the best wet finish in my opinion), R222 Concourse or Victoria Concourse wax (basically any decent, oily wax will give a wet finish).

If you want to get the best dripping wet look, you'll need to wash, decontaminate, deep paint cleanse, polish and then glaze & wax, but that'll take anything upwards of a day, not to mention the cost of all the products. The good news is that you'll only need to do that once/twice a year, for the rest of the time you can just do the basic maintenance wash and top up if needs be.

SRP will work if that's what you already have

No, it really wont. :p SRP has many, many fillers and next to no abrasives. It's utterly useless for correction. It's not that great for anything else either, IMO. :lol:

• Like 2

If you say you can't spare ANY extra time.......try Soft99 Scratch Clear Wax.

Just substitute your SRP for this stuff.

Apply like SRP with a MF short pile cloth until it goes clear.

About 30-60 seconds.

Then quick swipe to buff.

Only £18 on eBay so worth a punt.

I like it and it worked wonders on my Sunset and a black Range Rover.

Here's a video of results.

Left door swirl/Scratch city, right door treated by the Soft99 stuff in 5 minutes.

http://vid272.photob...0422_135737.mp4

• Like 1

They must be buried somewhere, no idea unfortunately. You can recreate it yourself though, all you need is a dark green saxo, some sand and a sponge; apply sand to paint, wash with sponge and allow to dry. Toss water over and boom, instant wet look shed car.

They must be buried somewhere, no idea unfortunately. You can recreate it yourself though, all you need is a dark green saxo, some sand and a sponge; apply sand to paint, wash with sponge and allow to dry. Toss water over and boom, instant wet look shed car.

you've got the sand, and the water, just add seagulls and you've got the surf look

Yes photoshop on car mag pics, none are straight off the memory card. Also anything parked inside which has been polished will look amazing under the lights.

DA polisher for the win though will be much more effective than any hand polishing, brings out an amazing wet look - I used Menzerna polishes with Victoria concours wax. Spent about 45 mins on my bonnet to get the look below (which is not photoshopped!), as previous posts said, you can do this over a period of time a panel each week...

IMG_3766_zpskhqmjmqt.jpg

• Like 1