What would you buy for GTR money?

-G-

A nice R34 GTR would be a very good shout for that money but I got rid of my R34 largely due to Nissan deleting 1000's of parts from their catalogue.

Hehe, tell that to the 240z owners :lol:

Still plenty of aftermarket parts for R34 , out there, soon on TORQEN website as well :)

Plenty of 2.0 litre pinto parts available , try finding a decent dash for a Ford Capri

• Like 1

Same as some others, the R35 GT-R just doesn't quite do it for me. I've always liked the R32 - I guess for 35k I could get a tidy one and upgrade it until it was quick / reliable / didn't feel like a shed inside.

I'd probably be more tempted by an Audi R8 though (which isn't really available for 35k, but then neither is an R35 GT-R as previously mentioned).

Evora is a great drive but until they put the indicator stalks in the same postcode as the rest of the dash, I'm not interested. NSX is possibly the ugliest car to come out of Japan since, well, the latest CTR, and with such an uninspiring drivetrain I wouldn't look twice at it.

Evora is a great drive but until they put the indicator stalks in the same postcode as the rest of the dash, I'm not interested. NSX is possibly the ugliest car to come out of Japan since, well, the latest CTR, and with such an uninspiring drivetrain I wouldn't look twice at it.

booooo

• Like 1

I think it's safe to say that the 996 is most people's least favourite looking 911 :lol:

I've a soft spot for an early fried-egg headlight 996, but the later facelift cars don't do it for me. At £35K though I'd be getting a 997.2 C2 non-S manual with as few options as I could find. Keep it simple and as light as possible. The S is a bit too much for the roads if you really want to go play, but the non-S is just about right.

Interesting discussion since my GTR is up for sale.... ;) after 4.5 years of ownership, still love the car and trying to find a way to keep it (storage is my biggest issue).

As for a replacement, well it will be bloody difficult to replace. Comfortable for long trips (unlike the Evo race car), quick on a track and reliable. I know a few Evo owners as well, none have gone back, they just kept both cars :) Im looking to separate out the track aspect (as this is where the GTR is very expensive) and will be running the MX5 (supercharged) and will have the 240z for something special on weekends, etc. All thats left is the comfortable aspect, so I am looking at V8 Vantage to fill that spot, good GT car. If you can split out all the aspects like this, then the GTR is doesnt compare, however as a single car to do it all, its had to beat.

Have always wanted a R34 GTR, but they are old now and need to be modded in my mind. Still a heavy car for the power that it runs standard. Will probably have one some day though :)

Edited by grahamc

:o the new one? Because the old model is an iconic work of art :lol:

Also available for around 35k;)

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

996 Turbo is a bit fragile these days, it would be off the road getting fixed half the time :lol:

A 2014 model Cayman S would be my choice, its nearly as quick as a GTR in a straight line but is so much better to drive due to considerably lower weight. Ill be test driving an M2 in the near future too but dont imagine it will handle as well as the Porsche :)

• Like 1

Hard to find a decent R35 GT-R for £35k, they start from £40k. :)

I've seen a few at £35k hence why I chose that figure - that's truthfully the lowest I've seen them go for.

How much are you budgeting for running costs over 12 months?

I'd already decided that getting a GTR was not on the cards for me before looking at the cost of running it as a second car. The £35k only denotes the lowest price I saw the car advertised for over the last 12 Months, not how much money I had in my pocket at the time lol

In fairness, I treat buying a car slightly differently than lumping the value of it in with the cost of running it, Running a car is an ongoing expenditure you can't ignore whereas buying a car is a one-off capital expenditure or investment, if you're smart about it. Some people might also argue that buying a car on HP makes purchasing a car an ongoing expenditure. I won't argue that point because to many folk, it is.

In short - If someone couldn't afford to run a GTR at a cost of a few grand a year, then they'd be an idiot for thinking about buying one in the first place.