The 2016 F1 chat thread

Ebized

Its actually an interesting point overall, I was watching an interview the other day with a number of F1 drivers and they were all complaining that they can no longer 'race' as its all about managing a multitude of elements within a car. There are so many sensors on the cars that the second one starts to go a bit amber drivers have to reel in the speed. I think they were saying they only drive at 100% for something like 5% of the race.

Of the back of that I went and watched Rush again just to make myself feel better :)

Maybe the damage was done earlier to get that advantage?

Yeah yeah, we get it, you dont rate Rosberg, the more you say he didnt deserve it and won by default, doesnt make it true :)

Fast forward to the 350z-uk site in 2025, Dan is running the forum quiz, 'OK Sports round, Formula 1, we all know Lewis Hamilton won 14 world championships but what little known German driver of average ability won his one and only title in 2016?' ;)

• Like 2

Nico is the least deserving winner of an F1 championship in my lifetime

Yep i read them, do you ;)

I'm not convinced you understand what 'least deserving' actually means. It means the person who deserved it the least, not that the person didn't deserve it at all.

Nico this year has been a more complete driver. Prost wining in 89' wasnt because he was faster than Senna, but because he drove each race better, made better use of situations as drove accordinly - the same happen this year.

IF someone who knew nowt about F1, watched purely this season alone you'd say they were very closely matched. Most races that were won this season by each Merc driver was a dominate one, to which the other driver was nowhere and never looked to trouble the leader.

Lewis fluffed 4-5 starts and that costs him the championship above all else - my opinion :stir:

• Like 1

From what I am reading between the lines there is doubt next years rules changes will not affect Mercs domination, unless Ferrari or another engine manufacturer work miracles.

OK, so the engine suppliers that have been involved in the sport see F1 as a way promoting their product that sells more road cars. But then the current rules (and likely next years too) together with the limited free TV access are even driving the die-hard fans away, let alone those who might have turned on the telly on to see a great spectacle.

Maybe it is time for F1 to cap the overall power outputs (controlled at races scrutineering and in-race monitoring by the FIA) whether that be be on the whole power package or if it has to be just the petrol element, that means the chassis/aero design/drivers play far more of a part in the race outcomes?

I think the power outputs should be vastly bigger then any one team's car can comfortably lay down, so it eliminates whether one engine or the other is 90bhp up on all the others and it's more about finding out who can build a car which goes round bends and which drivers can lay it down best on the exits :shrug:

Finally the F1 thread has kicked into life when for much of the year its been rather dull even when there's been a lot of controversy to discuss!. For me the Brazilian grand prix was the benchmark for showing driver talent. All the top drivers were caught having a moment or crashed (Alonso, Vettel, Raikkonen, Verstappen (though very well held),) and Rosberg) whilst Hamilton drove at a speed that those behind simply could not match.

Yes Rosberg won the championship but he will never be as good as Hamilton. Alonso pointed out several years ago that Hamilton is one of the very few drivers who can still drive a bad car quickly (see 2009 Mclaren for that ). Vettel for me is a classic example of not been able to do this as we saw many times this year... who really looked quite ordinary in the Ferrari.......Honestly!!

Edited by Beavis

But is anyone going to remember that Nico didnt deserve it in years to come? No they're not, and history will always show this guy as a champion (unfortunately!). I honestly couldn't tell you of any other seasons where the champion didnt deserve it... i'm sure it's happened, but we quickly forget. Button perhaps?

1958 Mike Hawthorn, won 1 race, Strirling Moss won 4 that year. Won a total of 3 GP's in his career

1982 Keke Rosberg won one race (out of 16). Won a total of 5 GP's in his career.

Button won 7 races in his championship year.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

End of the day, he did enough...............

Awesome pass on Verstappen in the last race, wheel to wheel when he didnt need to risk contact B)

Plenty of races this year that Nico won and Lewis didnt trouble him, just had to follow him home. Very even in poles for years and years tbf.

Lewis is more aggressive is all, not a better driver imo. A tad more outright speed, but it takes more than that to win a championship.

Lewis was passed by Nico into turn one at the Spanish GP, another poor start by lewis. Then the red mist came down and wrote his team mate off before turn 4 thinking the race is won in one corner lol Just because you have an overspeed, doesnt mean drive thru the guy ahead.

#andnew

Edited by davey_83

Awesome pass on Verstappen in the last race, wheel to wheel when he didnt need to risk contact B)

That one Ill grant you - if he hadnt done that then I dont think Id even recognise him as the champion. Cracking bit of driving and the balls that I think were lacking a bit in the rest of the season :)

^^ Is there not the possibility that had he not had the points advantage he would have had to push and you may have seen more moves like the verstappen one, but he just did what he needed to do once he had the points lead in the bag, as earlier with the fastest laps stats, he obviously has the pace if he wants or needs it, but he did enough to give him the title, sorry, lewis to give him the title to keep a balance ;)

Marc Marquez totally shot his chances in MotoGp last year as he wasnt satisfied with anything but first or at least podium because he wasnt prepared to settle for some points, he knew this and admitted this season would be different, he learned fast at 21 and won this year with races to spare.

Reminds me of the Hamilton/Button era at McLaren when JB got more points but LH got the adoration and countless other drivers in eras going back since the start of F1 it was not just the drivers with the biggest balls (i.e crowd pleasers) that won championships but also those who used their heads to amass enough points to get the championship crown........or, indeed happened to be in the right place at the right time to get a drive in a championship wining car/team that sadly nowadays is killing the interest as the lack of input on this thread over the past year demonstrates all too well. :shrug:

Yes Rosberg won the championship but he will never be as good as Hamilton. Alonso pointed out several years ago that Hamilton is one of the very few drivers who can still drive a bad car quickly (see 2009 Mclaren for that ).

Alonso must've excluded himself in that statement :lol: he's in a bad car, double world champion and could hardly get in the points, nullifies that argument.

Going back a few posts, drivers that won the championship that didn't deserve it, James Hunt springs to mind.

Hamilton is so far up his own bottom, he thinks that he's due it, the boy is a knob, put him in a Red Bull and he would be out qualified and out driven by the 'upstart' Verstappen all day everyday.

Like the Beavis lad, I'm glad that there's some excitement about this now. Hamilton in an average car? He'd be an average driver, Verstappen in the current Mercedes would be unstoppable. Hopefully, the new batch coming along will add to the mix.

Hamilton is a playboy, living for today which is great. It's good for F1 someone new has won the title, makes for a very interesting 2017 which everyone can all agree on at least.

Max is a stunning driver, incredibly exciting to watch however I still think Daniel is a better all rounder thus far.