The 2016 F1 chat thread

Ebized

Hamilton is so far up his own bottom, he thinks that he's due it, the boy is a knob, put him in a Red Bull and he would be out qualified and out driven by the 'upstart' Verstappen all day everyday.

Like the Beavis lad, I'm glad that there's some excitement about this now. Hamilton in an average car? He'd be an average driver, Verstappen in the current Mercedes would be unstoppable. Hopefully, the new batch coming along will add to the mix.

Whatever you think of Hamilton's personality, I think your claims about Verstappen being better are a bit wide of the mark. It's generally accepted that Hamilton is very quick.

it'd be great to just see an equal playing field, but F1 is as much about the technology of the cars as who is the best driver.

personally, I think F1 should reduce the championship calendar to 15 races, and then have 6 exhibition races, where they can try out various things like ballast, reverse grids, short sprint races, enforced choice of tyres, balance of performance on the cars, all that kind of stuff. Without affecting the overall championship.

Yeah totally get its about the full package, but would be nice to at least throw some actual races into the whole 'who is the best driver' debate as we really do not know (as can be seen above). One race where all are in roughly the same cars would be fantastic viewing and a great opportunity for the real 'racers' on the grid to go to town.

Isnt that gp2, lol?

Even then people would debate who was fastest, you would still have mechanical failures, accidents causing dnf's

A championship isnt about the "fastest" driver winning, its about who has been the most complete package over a season,.

Yes, I get that too, but we get so much willy waving in F1, would be good to see them go flat out against each other for one race. Given all things equal, for instance going through a qualifying session and subsequent short race in karts where lets face it mechanical failures are much less likely to happen, how would the top 5 come out, in order?

And would Rosberg even be near the front on the first corner, would have thought he would have qualified much further back!

I just used Rosberg as an example seeing as he is at the heart of the conversation and he has out qualified Hamilton 8 times this season (hardly a lame duck is he), the point being, it will never be an even playing field in any format and thats beauty of motorsport, as said somewhere else, you may as well just vote on the who is the fastest and give them the title and forget the whole season if thats what is wanted every year, but that isnt motorsport :)

• Like 1

I never said motorsport would be, just that for the fun of it (and the original post was very tongue in cheek) stick all the drivers in the same spec kart made by the same company and send them out. Yes a few might break down but you would certainly see who the racers are.

^^ Good on him, achieved what he set out to do and retired on a high :)

Verstappen, please please please :)

With the Merc bosses seemingly close relationship with Verstappen's father, I hope that this is more than likely. If it does happen, I'm looking forward to Hamilton throwing his dummy out more often :lol:

• Like 1

I reckon F1 should have a race in the calendar where they stick all the drivers in identical karts and let them go at it - I bet it would be awesome!

Didn't they used to do this but in actual go karts? I remember seeing it a few times on Eurosport probably ~10-15 years ago though. Think it was called something like king of the track, possible had other motor sports involved.

Think this might be it - I can't open youtube at work, so I'm going on the google description!

Edited by Randy_Baton

Alonso? Hates the McLaren, only a year or so left at the top, gives Merc a top driver, and gives them more time to woo Max.

Or Vettel is another good shout. He's not happy at Ferrari, and they don't like him very much anymore either.

unless he is shackled by a lengthy contract, I would have though that the Merc bosses would like Vettel in the seat.

I did ponder if Hamiton and Vettel would have exchanged seats in a few seasons,as I felt that Merc would have liked to have an all german team