Andyjames Supercharged Silver Pheonix Rebuild

andy james

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

Since my last report I was kinda thinking the home strait was on the horizon.

Wrong!!

Booked her into X church tyres for a Hunter alignment to make sure the suspension was set up correctly after the various new parts I had fitted, but more importantly to check if there was any other damage I hadn't spotted.

Well she drove like a crab all the way there,the sensation was unreal!

The report was not good,all the nearside geo was way out and the front nearside wheel was 25mm further back than it should be.eeeek!

Once up on the ramp we could clearly see that the front subframe had been bent on impact buy the lower control arm/ banana arm.

2b3462facec6667e26f4ce53d8683917_zps1cetr5bu.jpg

The rear end even after my efforts in changing the control arm,camber arm,drive shaft,hub bearing and carrier still would not bring the camber into line.

Shopping list in hand I limped the old girl home and got on the inter web!

At this low point in my life I thought a minor upgrade was in order so Chris at Tarmacsportz supplied in super quick time a set of drift works front camber arms!

Next up was a second hand subframe,new banana arm and lower control arm.

The rear was a bit of a nightmare as it could have been chassis damage or the rear sub frame so I just bought a £30 second hand top wishbone to see if by some miracle that might be the problem.

I fitted the rear wishbone during the week and came to the conclusion that jacking up/supporting the engine/gearbox,dropping the subframe out and replacing was too much for me to do at home on axle stands 12" off the ground in my garage was too dangerous to tackle on my own so I had to concede and get the guys with a ramp to fit the bits for me.

Dropped the car off Friday and waited for the call this morning.

The Silver lady is now straight!!

No chassis damage,camber and castor angles purfect and my hunch about the rear top wish bone was right!

Drove her home this afternoon.

She might look like a banger but she handles like a race car!

A new 3/4 and a lick of paint next!

• Like 11

Haven't you finished this yet?

It was only a scratch should have had it polished out and back on the road weeks ago :p

:lol:

Great work and good news buddy. :thumbs:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 2

Thanks Guys!

I must admit when I drove her home last Saturday crabbing all over the place after the hunter check I was beginning to wonder if I'd made a huge mistake re building and perhaps I should have bought a donor car.

Should have a bit more faith in the old girl,as she obviously doesn't want to go to the scrappy yet!lol

So Andy... - 16th April at Gurston?

:thumbs:

David

Hi David

My aim is to get the car into the body shop during the first week of March.

They need,up to 3 weeks to cut out the rear quarter and weld in a new panel and the small window,fettle the fibreglass front wings,repair the chargespeed rear bumper and new nearside skirt.

Also the rear hatch and bonnet need work.

If all goes well I need get some road miles under the belt.

My aim is to get her ready for Japfest and also to ease the car back on track at my own pace(3slots booked) lol so Gurston in April is probably a bit too soon.

Going to mix and match this season with a few more sprints along with the hiilclimbs as they are more suited to the car.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Only a small update but quite significant when considering timescales for the up and coming season.

After finally getting the car to a position mechanically where she is ready to go in for her new arse/paint I contact my local Nissan dealer to order the rear quarter panel.

Not good news as all Uk stocks are unavailable so after contacting Tarmac and Ewan at Clark Motorsport to see if they could help(thanks guys)i have had to order one from direct from the factory in Japan which could take 3/4 weeks to arrive!

So,the body shop I have chosen,who are very busy have luckily given me a slot on the first week of April.

I want the car to look perfect and at this stage I'm not prepared to rush things so fingers crossed for her first outing at Japfest.

• Like 7

Another small update prior to going to the body shop.

After replacing all the 4 blown air units the dash airbag light won't go off!

After speaking to Chris at the Zed Shed and a bit of inter web searching it appears that the module for all the air bags which is behind the handbrake lever under the centre console needs to be removed,sent to a boffin to have the crash data removed and then refitted.

This went in a Jiffy bag tonight!

30ab0ef6328c40bb051454c05a5b38df_zpsji0knopo.jpg

Also I test fitted the second new Srosek rear spoiler from Tarmacsportz as I had only fitted the first one the night before the crash!!

9c40f19308e947b83977ee9f3de20dfa_zpsurjufvjw.jpg

• Like 4