depreciation

red5

Hi guys, I am thinking of getting a 350 but with fuel prices set to soar next year after the current dip passes I'm wondering how you expect residuals to stand up. Obviously with the VED being over £500 and 25mpg the current valuations mean a lot of value for money so are prices rock bottom now or vulnerable in the case of higher fuel prices.

I'm kind of hoping that the values are rock bottom now and that they may even rise as quality examples become harder to find.

Any thoughts on future values and which cars may be the most sort after? I'm thinking a GT with Rays in black.

Cheers

The Z will never be classed as an old banger, however much it depreciates. Just buy it and enjoy it, should you buy one fairly standard and don't throw too much cash at modding, then the hit wont be as hard when you come to change. However just compare the vehicle you choose should it be a Z, against lets say a basic Ford/Vauxhall of the same value, what a difference for pound for pound. :)

Depreciation eally depends on which year you buy and whether you buy / sell privately or through a dealer.

When I bought my 2007 HR GT Roadster, it was just 4 years old and £16k at a dealer. I sold it 18 months later later as a part ex to a dealer and he gave me £9k for it. Car was fully loaded, had nearly every option, new tyres, full mot etc. So that worked out at about £6k a year in depreciation.

Looking at the prices now, depreciation seems to have stopped, or reduced greatly on the cars once they get below £10k value. I still see HR zeds advertised for around the £9k mark so had I kept my zed, depreciation over the last 3 years would probably have been very little. Certainly nowhere near as bad as both the first 4 years of the cars life, and the 18 months I owned it.

With regards to fuel. It really depends on how many miles you intend to do. In my case I was spending about £450 a month on fuel for my zed as I used it as a daily commuting car. The diesel car which replaced it, is twice as economical and my monthly fuel bill is now down to about £250. But in the greater scheme of things, that's only a couple of grand a year, certainly nowhere near as much as the depreciation cost!

If your worried about 25mpg and rising fuel costs i hate to say it, but its not for you. If fuel costs concern you, dont buy any sports car and tbh, fuel costs would be my last concern with this type of car, its going to be a lot harder on your wallet if a clutch goes for example.

Personally i think values are holding firm, dont see much of a difference to when i bought my first one two and half years ago so long as you discount the abused dogs getting cheaper at the lower end of the spectrum.

I think a low mileage HR might be the best bet for the depreciation gamble. They are far more limited in numbers compared to the DE and have some nice refinements to the engine and cabin. That said it will depend how many miles you'll be putting on it. I'm not expecting my HR to hold value given the large chunk of miles it will get every year. But then I got my zed to drive and I'll get my moneys worth from the number of years I'll stay with this car.

• Like 1

I think a low mileage HR might be the best bet for the depreciation gamble. They are far more limited in numbers compared to the DE and have some nice refinements to the engine and cabin. That said it will depend how many miles you'll be putting on it. I'm not expecting my HR to hold value given the large chunk of miles it will get every year. But then I got my zed to drive and I'll get my moneys worth from the number of years I'll stay with this car.

I bought my 2008 hr last year with 8'500 miles on the clock. Paid £13'500 for it but it was £30'000 new so less than half price for a car thats pretty much like new

I reckon I've lost about £24k :scare:

Paid £30k for a GT Coupe with a factory Nismo kit in 2005.

Spent an additional £2k on 19' LMGT4s and LED rear lights.

Over the past 10 yrs it's probably only about £2.5k/yr and only gonna get better..........BARGAIN :teeth:

My only regret is not buying it when it sooner!

• Like 1

I bought my 2008 hr last year with 8'500 miles on the clock. Paid £13'500 for it but it was £30'000 new so less than half price for a car thats pretty much like new

Oh yeah they have already lost a lot of value, but if any of them are going to stabilise I think it's the HR that will.

• Like 1

You have some way to go before a 350z will appreciate, far too many of them about and they are not that old in the grand scheme of things.

I have flirted around various older cars for a few years now, I have noticed that the R33 I had and the VX220 have both gone up in value, the VX220 very much so by about 20%

The 350z predecessor the 300zx (kind of!) is only just now going back up in value after bottoming out at around £3k for a half decent one last year, also watching the price of Celica GT4s and they are starting to creep up now, I paid top money for mine in the hope I can prevent myself from selling it and getting another car and seeing it go up in value over the next few years.

I reckon I've lost about £24k :scare:

Paid £30k for a GT Coupe with a factory Nismo kit in 2005.

Spent an additional £2k on 19' LMGT4s and LED rear lights.

Over the past 10 yrs it's probably only about £2.5k/yr and only gonna get better..........BARGAIN :teeth:

My only regret is not buying it when it sooner!

Pretty much the same here, bought mine for 26.5k almost 9 years ago so even if had no residual value then depreciation is less than 3k per annum. In reality though its probably a loss of around 18k....just 2k a year. We paid 17.9k for Caroline's HR roadster 5 years ago, so assuming a value of 10k now then the depreciation is well under 2k per annum. If you're the sort of person who buys cars less than 3 years old then sell them after 2 years then you'll suffer much higher rates of depreciation than someone who keeps their cars for 5 years or more....it's not like the Zed replacement won't depreciate ;)

Pete