Maserati Granturismo, Aston Vantage or ...... Decision P8

Sam Mcgoo

Which would you choose?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What wold you choose?

• Maserati Granturismo 4.2 V8
    • Aston Martin V8 Vantage 4.3 V8
    • Something else - please suggest in post.

I have decided I won't go the GTR route for the simple reason that it is too soon and will spoil my enjoyment of anything else that follows.

Sorry, but thats a ridiculous statement - even from the cars mentioned in this thread an M6, Maserati, 911 and a Mustang are all totally different experiences, even my current 4 seater is capable of performance very similar to a GTR but delivers it in a totally different way. You dont have to drive everywhere at 10/10ths either ......... which is where the GTR falls down for me, its doesnt feel special when doing 45 mph like a Maserati does.

I think for me on paper the Aston looks like the winner as it is such a classy thing - a gentleman's car.

On paper its thirsty, unreliable, underpowered, poorly built and expensive to run. It looks nice, but does that make it more of a "Gentleman's car" than an XKR which does everything better for half the money, or a Cayman that does everything twice as well for the same money?

Maybe Im old fashioned, but if youre spending a big lump of money like this you need to get out and try each option rather then relying on hearsay and conjecture. Im pretty confident if you did that youd end up with the Maserati but discounting a 40K sportscar because its "too fast" is mental.

When I was 22 I owned a modified MR2 Turbo. It was rapaciously fast. The acceleration below 100mph was savage and quicker than anything else I have owned to this day. After I sold it I test drove an S2000, RX8 and 350Z and they all felt slow and boring by comparison. Those were quick cars in their day, but having too much power too soon had left me jaded. A change of career then pushed me into diesels for a few years, after which I then vowed to take my time as I began to work my way through more focused cars so I could enjoy every step up in power.

I've met a number of GTR owners who've said they've been spoiled by their cars and don't know where to go next as other cars feel slow by comparison. The guy who remapped my Z at RS Tuning had actually gone to a diesel pickup after his GTR to try to cleanse his pallet so as to be able to enjoy other cars again. I'd rather not be put in that position again.

So I don't feel it's a ridiculous statement at all - it's my opinion based on my experience. Clearly you have a different opinion, but I'm not sure why that makes you feel the need to trample on mine.

As for the Aston I don't know any other marque with such a classy and refined image.

Youre a straight line hero then, fair enough - just buy a 1500hp Supra and youll never have to replace it ;)

An S2K, 350Z or RX8 are all a far more enjoyable drive than a mk2 MR2 IMO, they have more communicative chassis and generally better handling and the lack of power makes you work harder as well, if youre rejecting them on straight line pace alone youre only using 10% of the cars potential in the first place.

Having driven a couple of GTR's, while they are great cars I cant see how you wouldnt know where to go next, theres plenty of stuff thats more fun, better to be in, more of an event to drive, handles better, is better on track etc. ........... but if the GTR owner had never driven much else in anger then I suppose that makes sense.

Hell, Ive got a Mk3 MR2 that Id walk straight past a GTR to dick about in on a track day but then again Im not just about the straight lines ;)

• Like 1

The depreciation on an RC-F makes baby Jesus cry though .......... and the M3 is better ;)

Its the depreciation that makes them such a good buy at the moment , exclusivity will support prices long term i reckon like the IS-F

What you save on depreciation will soon be left in repair bills if the Masser or Aston goes wrong , which they will because of what they are

But of course the RC-F is heavy and not the fastest thing around but it has character (and a proper engine) , unlike a modern BMW

Go for a drive in the shortlisted cars Sam and see what you make of them; like I've said to a couple of people I had my heart set on an Aston V8V, heard nothing but praise from owners who I spoke to, but although it looked and sounded special, the gearbox felt like it was from a much older car, the throttle felt very light and lacked any sort of feel, and ultimately I felt like it was only the price it was because of the badge and looks. It simply wasn't as good a car as I hoped.

I did see a white Maserati GT yesterday and looked fantastic. Had you thought about a used approved one to give you total piece of mind?

On a random note I've had a black Maser pull into the Tesco petrol station near my work once... I started up my Scorpion/Cobra combo ready to leave...nice. The maser started up and JESUS. Its LOUD rumbly (yes I said rumbly) and purposeful. I've heard vantages and there not in the same league for sound. Masers so much more deeper and louder. And I've also just seen a few pages back the XKR exhaust clip, they also sound damn good. My neighbours 4.2 even firing up I can hear with my windows closed, deep and low is the sound to go! haha Aston's is quite harsh and higher pitched.

If its got to be out those two... try and get the higher engines (4.7 etc) Otherwise... if you want more nimble, lighter feeling car, get the Aston, if you don't mind having a big comfy GT and want better sound...get the Maser. I'm more biased to comfy GT... but again...I'm poor. :lol:

And considering a GTR is a totally different type of car to those two..and not that comfy...so I've heard anyway

Edited by AMT

On a random note I've had a black Maser pull into the Tesco petrol station near my work once... I started up my Scorpion/Cobra combo ready to leave...nice. The maser started up and JESUS. Its LOUD rumbly (yes I said rumbly) and purposeful. I've heard vantages and there not in the same league for sound. Masers so much more deeper and louder. And I've also just seen a few pages back the XKR exhaust clip, they also sound damn good. My neighbours 4.2 even firing up I can hear with my windows closed, deep and low is the sound to go! haha Aston's is quite harsh and higher pitched.

If its got to be out those two... try and get the higher engines (4.7 etc) Otherwise... if you want more nimble, lighter feeling car, get the Aston, if you don't mind having a big comfy GT and want better sound...get the Maser. I'm more biased to comfy GT... but again...I'm poor. :lol:

And considering a GTR is a totally different type of car to those two..and not that comfy...so I've heard anyway

The 4.2 isn't as loud as the Granturismo s.

The S has the baffle doo dahs in the exhaust. I had a GT and GTS in one day after another and the GTS from a sound perspective is like all the angels in heaven sacked off their wings and strapped on a rocket pack instead.

If you can't afford a 4.7 don't test drive it. You'll only be disappointed with the 4.2 after and the 4.2 is a quality car.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm still totally torn what to do! I'm getting frustrated now as I hate not having a car!

My situation is a little different as I work away for a few weeks at a time so will be in the garage, then when I'm home for a few weeks would need to be usable daily. That rules out a classic for me, or I would seriously consider a 67-69 Camero or 240/250z. It also rules out Cobras etc as it needs to be usable all year in all weather.

Investment wise it'd be a TVR or Porsche 911. but the missus hates both of them unfortunately.

Yesterday I test drove a Stage1 GT-R and I have to admit I was blown away how good it was! I really didn't expect to like it as much as I did and I'm now VERY tempted by one.

A few days before I drove the Aston 4.3 V8 Vantage. It was lovely, really classy, lovely nose (of course), quality interior and handled really well on the b-roads. I was impressed. It felt really special. However, it definitely lacked some low-end torque but I thought I might be able to live with it as having to rev the V8 to get full benefit was worth it.

I wrote about my Maserati 4.2 Granturismo test earlier.

My thoughts at the moment are if spending up to £35k it'll be the Aston. 35k - 45k = GT-R or 4.7 Granturismo. I just need to try the 4.7 Maser now then make a final decision. lol

GT-R is winning right now though so if the right one came up I'd probably jump.

I'm still totally torn what to do! I'm getting frustrated now as I hate not having a car!

My situation is a little different as I work away for a few weeks at a time so will be in the garage, then when I'm home for a few weeks would need to be usable daily. That rules out a classic for me, or I would seriously consider a 67-69 Camero or 240/250z. It also rules out Cobras etc as it needs to be usable all year in all weather.

I REALLY want a 67 or 68 camaro ( not a fan of the square arches on a 69 ) But I just can't bring myself to pay mid £20k for a car that needs a fair bit of work, and the steering wheel is on the wrong side for this stupid little island of rain and tea ;)

I also thought about a Cobra, but to get a decent spec one, or to build it how I'd want it, I'm looking at close to £40k and by that logic, maybe a new mustang would be a nicer toy? Has a V8 still, and much more comfortable and usable daily.

Reading your further comments, it looks like you've been bitten by the GTR bug - If only they made a V8 for them... They'd look great, and sound even better.

Looking forward to your decision.

Be careful with the new Mustang, it's a very dull looking car in the flesh. There was one at the PHSS before Xmas, in orange which should be the best colour, and it was dull as ditchwater. No presence, drab interior, and the sound was absolutely pitiful. Okay, you can sort the last one out with a better exhaust, but the rest was massively disappointing. Easy the biggest let down of 2015 for me.

Erm, that film just proves my point about the car sounding dreadful at stock. it's far, far too quiet. Grundy will tell you, he was stood next to me round the back of the car when the owner started it up and revved it for us. Hell, even the owner himself apologised that it sounded a bit quiet.

But as I said, you can of course change that easily. It was the rest of the car I was disappointed with, it just didn't look as good in the flesh as in the pictures. I was so excited when I saw it turn up, but a closer inspection was a real let down for me. Each to their own, but it didn't 'feel' special.

Investment wise it'd be a TVR or Porsche 911. but the missus hates both of them unfortunately.

Yesterday I test drove a Stage1 GT-R and I have to admit I was blown away how good it was! I really didn't expect to like it as much as I did and I'm now VERY tempted by one.

A few days before I drove the Aston 4.3 V8 Vantage. It was lovely, really classy, lovely nose (of course), quality interior and handled really well on the b-roads. I was impressed. It felt really special. However, it definitely lacked some low-end torque but I thought I might be able to live with it as having to rev the V8 to get full benefit was worth it.

I wrote about my Maserati 4.2 Granturismo test earlier.

My thoughts at the moment are if spending up to £35k it'll be the Aston. 35k - 45k = GT-R or 4.7 Granturismo. I just need to try the 4.7 Maser now then make a final decision. lol

GT-R is winning right now though so if the right one came up I'd probably jump.

Interesting dilemia ;) amazing how much it all changes when you drive a GTR :D

whats a 250z? Shame about ruling out the classic, but I understand your point.

I felt the same about the Aston, was a really nice and special, but there was something lacking. I think I can live with that now though......

Has Graham sold his GTR?

Not yet ;) thanks! Mine is now stage 4.25 and running 654bhp. Currently sat at Sly while it has a service done.

• Like 1

I can put it on here if you like:

Ive had 4 mates own them now and all 4 regretted it pretty much after the first week, performance isnt all that, fuel economy is rubbish and running costs are painful.

One of the guys (Cayman before, R8 after) reckoned it was the worst car he has ever owned ....... obviously its your choice but I wanted to give you the heads up :)

Looks nice, sounds nice but not a lot after that from what Ive been told :(

Just had a glance back at this thread (still no decision?! haha). In terms of the Vantage, its along the same performance and pace as a 4.2 XKR, in the real world a 4.2 XKR (besides long bouts of straights) will not be 'that' far away from a 350Z (I just know this shhh :lol: ). So you wouldn't be 'outrunning' Z's or similar performance cars... caymans etc as much as we'd like to think. However thats just the performance effort, fuel as mentioned it poor, I've been in the earlier cars and the interior is.. not as special as you might think (especially the chancellor red leather ...I think thats the one I'm on about lol)...and the main thing....servicing is ridiculous for them. I'd rather have the Maserati, been in those, interior 'feels' nicer,and usually depending on combination nicers to look at at times, although its a bit of a button fest on the dash. This however will still be terrible on servicing and any repairs. In terms of fuel, servicing and power the 5.0 , 510bhp XKR is probably a very nice bet and low mileage ones are half the price these days almost.

In terms of the cars being discussed its hard to pick something that isn't terrible in at least two areas (such as fuel and servicing). Don't get a Mustang though, it looks so dull.... lol

How far on are you with this have you narrowed it down any better? I know it might be actually just some of the posters talking about woeful fuel etc (including me haha) but I think biting the bullet with running costs ...for the type of cars being looked at... is a given. I'd go for a DB9 if you must have an aston... bigger, better sounding,same prices, more majestic. R8, GTR, Maser are all good ones too just depends what you can live with. Test driving gets the feel, but also think... I need to stare at this dash, these dials,fiddle with this crap nav or whatever..everyday. lol Make sure you want it... can live with it... and it makes you feel special even on small journeys! :thumbs: (ps...I wish I had your money so I could afford one too haha) :lol:B)

EDIT - Just seen yesterdays post... haha sorry.. make sure your happy with the GTR's dash! A lot of people get tired of it after a while...but what a car

Edited by AMT

So you don't think a V8V will be any quicker than a 350 on the roads, you think the new Mustang looks dull, and you'd rather have a DB9 over the V8V?

Well, it's taken 2,598 posts, but finally I agree with every single word you say! :D:lol: :lol:

Y'know, if they're in budget then a manual DB9 could be a good left-field choice.

• Like 1