Bodybuilding.

TT350

I don't coach them to fail, I coach them to be safe. :)

Anyway, I concur that for new people to the gym, or people who don't really understand kinesiology and motor patterns that using the smith is better than nothing. However, I'd urge people to learn to use free weights as soon as possible, as well as feel confident of bailing when doing them.

When you're doing, cleans, snatch, jerks, front squats, back squats you'll find that all coaches worth their salt will teach you to bail. It is a critical part of lifting - if you don't, you will get injured.

I'm sorry if I sound condescending, but having been in the game for a dozen years, with a couple of competition titles, having spent a fair bit of time getting my qualifications (UKSCA) I feel obligated to educate. :)

If you're not growing, using a machine that exacerbates poor motor patterns, adds huge shear forces to your joints is not going to help. Diet, and exercise variation will do a lot more. Even the leg press is better than the smith machine.

I often train alone and squat 200+ and sometimes I just bail - but because I train properly with good form, and know how to bail, the chance of injuring myself is greatly reduced. As I said, if you're worried just use catchers.

I'm happy to agree to disagree, but I can't agree with what you're saying. But as long as you're happy with what you're doing then keep at it, I'd rather people look after their health than ignore it. Happy to offer coaching and nutrition advice too. :)

Edited by wmr1980

I don't coach them to fail, I coach them to be safe. :)

Anyway, I concur that for new people to the gym, or people who don't really understand kinesiology and motor patterns that using the smith is better than nothing. However, I'd urge people to learn to use free weights as soon as possible, as well as feel confident of bailing when doing them.

When you're doing, cleans, snatch, jerks, front squats, back squats you'll find that all coaches worth their salt will teach you to bail. It is a critical part of lifting - if you don't, you will get injured.

I'm sorry if I sound condescending, but having been in the game for a dozen years, with a couple of competition titles, having spent a fair bit of time getting my qualifications (UKSCA) I feel obligated to educate. :)

If you're not growing, using a machine that exacerbates poor motor patterns, adds huge shear forces to your joints is not going to help. Diet, and exercise variation will do a lot more. Even the leg press is better than the smith machine.

I often train alone and squat 200+ and sometimes I just bail - but because I train properly with good form, and know how to bail, the chance of injuring myself is greatly reduced. As I said, if you're worried just use catchers.

I'm happy to agree to disagree, but I can't agree with what you're saying. But as long as you're happy with what you're doing then keep at it, I'd rather people look after their health than ignore it. Happy to offer coaching and nutrition advice too. :)

Difference of opinion is unavoidable but it doesn't mean we can't all be chums :)

Besides. You're wrong.

Lol I'm kidding.

I only used the smith machine once for squat (I can't actually do squats per se because of my left knee) but I used it a lot for chest. Gave good results.

• Like 1

If it is working for you keep at it.

I know you don't, but I just wanted to put it out there that you shouldn't rely on it. Sounds like you do regular squats too anyway and you're an experienced lifter so I'm sure your use is sensible.

I was more putting the info out there for newcomers to the gym. :)

• Like 1

training to failure is all part of the game of gains... bailing is part of that... "yeah sure I can squat that 140 no problems" but by the time you are on set 3 rep 8! knowing how to bail is important even if you are comfortable with the weight to start with.

• Like 1

i mark start injecting synth, this guy looks incredible :lol: Remind me never to skip forearm day hahaha

2C6293D400000578-3236892-image-a-31_1442418941854.jpg

The guy reckons its real muscles, and he's taken steroids... if he was on roids, he'd at least have some forearms and some muscles on his stomach and everywhere in between just his pecs bis and shoulders lol

Edited by -Bradders-

i mark start injecting synth, this guy looks incredible :lol: Remind me never to skip forearm day hahaha

2C6293D400000578-3236892-image-a-31_1442418941854.jpg

The guy reckons its real muscles, and he's taken steroids... if he was on roids, he'd at least have some forearms and some muscles on his stomach and everywhere in between just his pecs bis and shoulders lol

It's a real-life balloon man!!

I'm sorry, but that just looks gross.....he's boobs are bigger than mine! There is something wrong there, why are his arms not big all over? Has he injected helium???!

It does look gross. It is ridiculous. Some guys who cannot be bothered to train hard and eat well inject synthol - it is a type of thick oil that sits in between your muscle fibres effectively "swelling" you.

It does not make you stronger - it stretches your skin too, and frankly even if done a tiny bit, is no different to implants or cosmetic surgery. All show, no go.

I personally think it is self mutilation - but if they're happy with it.... :shrug:

training to failure is all part of the game of gains... bailing is part of that... "yeah sure I can squat that 140 no problems" but by the time you are on set 3 rep 8! knowing how to bail is important even if you are comfortable with the weight to start with.

And knowing when not to go to failure and training just before failure is also important. There are many nuances to training and training smart/well.

There's so much to learn, and the body is so complicated and everyone responds differently. Heck all the champion olympic lifters, strongman and powerlifters all train differently to one another to get the edge, but also follow a lot of similar principles. You've got to work out what works for you, but be happy to try new things, it's always a learning curve :)

• Like 1

How long does it last? And is it just visual or does it actually enhance the muscle strength?

It doesn't enhance strength at all. It is not like steroids (where even when you inject steroids you still have to train hard and eat well). It dissipates after a few months, so it isn't permanent. The stretching of the skin can be though.

That said, it does help the muscle fascia to stretch, allowing more room for muscles to grow (you still have to train hard), but we are talking about distorting your body which to me does not sound sensible.

Edited by wmr1980

If it's not really enhancing strength and stamina and it looks awful, then why bother? Don't get it.....

There was a documentary called "The Man Who's Arms Exploded". Greg Valentino. Another one who injected Synthol. Graphic scenes of him sucking puss out of his biceps with a needle and syringe.

Absolute tools. How can they even begin to think they look good.

To me, even the 'natural' (non synthol) guys who take the size too far look terrible. IE Roely Winklaar and Markus Ruhl.

Frank McGrath is massive but doesn't look gross. Mike Mentzer had the best physique.

His boobs may be bigger than yours Kat but I dare say yours are real lol.

• Like 1

LOL! makes me feel old, I used to train quite hard 4 nights a week back when I was in my late 30s but I was also working silly hours (own business) so I could never hold any weight, but managed a reasonable shape, but no real bulk, started back doing a mild workout in my 50s and still continue 3 to 4 times a week, although I leave it out in the hot weather IE most of the summer, can still get away with a tank top, although I am starting to get a bit of a belly now at 63, I just stick mostly to upper body, dips, sit ups with weights, press-ups, incline and flat pull ups and dumbbells for arm work do a few squats but my knees are fooked (arthritis)

Sorry mate. Just saw none of us replied to this. :(.

Sounds to me like you're doing absolutely fine! I've got a belly and im minus 30 on you lol.

You. Me and most of the British population have a gut! Let alone at 63.

You're at an age though where resistance training will really really separate you from the rest of your age group as I presume most give up waaay before that and just slip into later years 'comfortably'. But active is tge way.

Keep doing what you're doing and it'll look after you. Take inspiration from Stallone!!

Can I add, feeling good myself....tough match tonight. 1st Q was down 6-3, but by the end we won 18-8 :D what a comeback, so proud of team!

#netballforthosewhodon'tknow

Can't beat a bit of "girl on girl" action. :teeth::lol:

Seriously though congratulations. :) Always nice to win at something especially when you're losing at first. ;)

Can I add, feeling good myself....tough match tonight. 1st Q was down 6-3, but by the end we won 18-8 :D what a comeback, so proud of team!

#netballforthosewhodon'tknow

Can't beat a bit of "girl on girl" action. :teeth::lol:

You should see some of the 'girls' though, more like American football players....hence me taking up the weights, we've had far too many injuries this season!