Bodybuilding.

TT350

Do you do it? Or lift weights with a focus on getting bigger?

I have been doing on and off for 12 years. Been back into it for about 6 weeks now and seeing good results. Muscle memory and increased appetite saw me shoot up to 19st @ 19% bodyfat. Want to get to at least 10% and stay there.

The weight gain plateaud and now the weight loss has well and truly caught up. I'm getting around 1800 to 2000 cals a day trying to keep carbs sub 150g and fat around 50g. Around 200 protein.

I train every day apart from weekend so it's a 5 day split.

Monday: chest.

Flat dbell bench press.

Incline dbell bench press.

Flat dbell flyes

Dips.

Tuesday: shoulders

Seated dbell shoulder press

Front raises

Seated lateral raises

Upright rows

Barbell shrugs on smith machine

Wednesday: arms

Dbell incline hammer curls

EZ bar curls

Straight bar curls

Swiss bar hammer curls

Palms facing away from body dbell curls

Close grip bench press

Straight bar skull crushers

Swiss bar skull crushers

Thursday: back

Wide grip seated pulley row

Close grip seated pulley row

Wide grip lat pull downs

Close grip lat pulldowns

Bent over rows

Deadlifts

Reverse dbell flyes

Friday: legs

Barbell squats

Hack squats

Leg press

Leg extensions

Ham curls

Cardio:

Hour walk incline on treadmill after every session.

I'd be happy to be in top shape and 10 or sub 10% bodyfat by next summer which is a very reasonable goal I think.

I'm not sure about competing. That takes a certain mindset I think.

Only supp I take is amino acids pre and post workout.

What about you guys? Perhaps we could share tips and routines/advice.

• Like 3

Nice write up, I'm only petite weighing 10st, been gymming roughly 4 days a week for over a year now but my biggest struggle is appetite/gaining weight/what meals to eat etc. I used to weigh under 9st so I'm gaining but very slowly!

Obviously I'm no where near your league so I won't bother giving you any advice lol, just posting to see what other people say and I think I'm going to give your routine a shot :)

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Wow thats a pretty intense workout plan there I would definitely not have the energy for that at my age. I do a sort of 4 day split. A pull day on Monday (pull downs, pull ups, rows, biceps/forearms.), have a day off, then a push day (flat or inclined bench, dips, rope push downs, tricep extentions), then a day off, then a shoulder day (seated shoulder press, then side raises, then side raises leaning forward to target the back shoulder muscle), then a day off, then a leg day (mainly squats & calf raises), day off, then repeat. I superset with doing abs (leg raises & crunches) in every workout also. Each workout lasts an hour and I workout at about 6am so its first thing before work. Ive got my own powercage and about 750lb of olympic weights in my garage, so I wake up at about 5.20am and can get straight on it before my brain tells me I should stay in bed.

Ive lifted weights since I was about 13, and like you, been on/off over the years. About 12 years back I was really into it and made some good progress before I ended up tearing a lower back muscle badly deadlifting. Im about 2 1/2 stone lighter now. Ive got back into it over the last 8 weeks quite seriously and am also seeing some good progress. For the first time in my life im actually listening to my body more, and not writing all all the weights down - im doing it by feel. Ive also been keeping the calories pretty low and from looking in the mirror am seeing the fat come off and the definition improve. My bodyweight has stayed the same now for the last 4 weeks, so im managing to gain muscle whilst burning the fat off. My goal is same as yours really - to get down to about 10% and aim to keep it around that level whilst getting as big as I can. For me its kind of a last chance to look how ive always wanted to look before I end up being too old to achieve it.

Quite enjoying it all atm, it really sets me up for the day and as you see the results they help motivate me.

EDIT: bad side is that ive not been able to update my pie blog in ages as im only eating healthy stuff atm. :(

Edited by rabbitstew

my biggest struggle is appetite/gaining weight/what meals to eat etc.

Obviously I'm no where near your league so I won't bother giving you any advice lol

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I take it you're what they call a hard gainer. There are things to help to get the calories in. Weight gain shakes are packed with calories from carbs and protein. You could make your own though with unflavoured whey protein and instant porridge like readybrek and a few scoops of nesquick powder and full fat milk.

Well you could give advice to people who are at where you're at and experiencing! Hopefully they'll read the thread and identify with you! We were all there once. There's a guy at my gym who's a monster but WAS 8st.

Wow thats a pretty intense workout plan there I would definitely not have the energy for that at my age. I do a sort of 4 day split. A pull day on Monday (pull downs, pull ups, rows, biceps/forearms.), have a day off, then a push day (flat or inclined bench, dips, rope push downs, tricep extentions), then a day off, then a shoulder day (seated shoulder press, then side raises, then side raises leaning forward to target the back shoulder muscle), then a day off, then a leg day (mainly squats & calf raises), day off, then repeat. I superset with doing abs (leg raises & crunches) in every workout also. Each workout lasts an hour and I workout at about 6am so its first thing before work. Ive got my own powercage and about 750lb of olympic weights in my garage, so I wake up at about 5.20am and can get straight on it before my brain tells me I should stay in bed.

Ive lifted weights since I was about 13, and like you, been on/off over the years. About 12 years back I was really into it and made some good progress before I ended up tearing a lower back muscle badly deadlifting. Im about 2 1/2 stone lighter now. Ive got back into it over the last 8 weeks quite seriously and am also seeing some good progress. For the first time in my life im actually listening to my body more, and not writing all all the weights down - im doing it by feel. Ive also been keeping the calories pretty low and from looking in the mirror am seeing the fat come off and the definition improve. My bodyweight has stayed the same now for the last 4 weeks, so im managing to gain muscle whilst burning the fat off. My goal is same as yours really - to get down to about 10% and aim to keep it around that level whilst getting as big as I can. For me its kind of a last chance to look how ive always wanted to look before I end up being too old to achieve it.

Quite enjoying it all atm, it really sets me up for the day and as you see the results they help motivate me.

EDIT: bad side is that ive not been able to update my pie blog in ages as im only eating healthy stuff atm. :(

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

I could never get my head round push/pull days but they work for a lot of people. I like to keep my approach to it quite simple. Like me lol. IE I follow progressive overload as a basis to my routines. I will keep lifting until I can complete 4 sets of 8 reps. When I can do that I increase the weight enough to cause failure then when I can do 4 sets of 8 increase the weight again.

You have a good routine and hats off for training at 6am!!

For your back shoulder muscles (rear delts) try reverse flyes on an inclined bench. Really really targets them.

Deadlifts done wrong are bad news! Ouch! They take time to recover from but it sounds like you're back on it now. I never have written my weights down. I do try and remember as much as possible but like you I just go with my body and try and max out and surpass myself every week.

Sounds like you're really making progress. Feels good doesn't it :) and seeing the results makes it all that better.

Pie blog?! I must read it!!

I could never get my head round push/pull days but they work for a lot of people. I like to keep my approach to it quite simple. Like me lol. IE I follow progressive overload as a basis to my routines. I will keep lifting until I can complete 4 sets of 8 reps. When I can do that I increase the weight enough to cause failure then when I can do 4 sets of 8 increase the weight again.

For your back shoulder muscles (rear delts) try reverse flyes on an inclined bench. Really really targets them.

Deadlifts done wrong are bad news! Ouch! They take time to recover from but it sounds like you're back on it now. I never have written my weights down. I do try and remember as much as possible but like you I just go with my body and try and max out and surpass myself every week.

Sounds like you're really making progress. Feels good doesn't it :) and seeing the results makes it all that better.

All good stuff and good to compare notes with other people!

Im in my 40`s, so figure I need to get the look I want before things start going down hill in your 50`s. I already find now that I just dont have the same energy/strength as I had when I was 30. Must be because of the testosterone levels dropping.

Push & pull days seem to work well for me, because as im sure you know, when you do something like a bench press, your also using your shoulders & triceps, so it makes sense to also work them out on the same day if you can. I find if I was to try and workout shoulders or triceps the following day after doing a chest day then id really struggle. I actually did chest 2 days ago and the doms are still killing me today. Thats another thing im noticing now im in my 40`s. recovery seems to be taking longer for me now. Also, food wise, I used to be able to eat like a horse and have no problem, but now im eating a lot less. I remember when I was 30, id have 12 eggs and a couple of cans of tuna in an omlette for breakfast! Now im just having 3 scrambled eggs on a bit of toast!

Set/Rep wise, Im currently aiming for between 10->12 reps each set. If I can hit that then I increase the weight until I can only hit about 8 reps. I sometimes jack the weight up for a couple of max reps if I feel strong just for a challenge!. I typically do a couple of warm up sets, then aim to do about 4 sets of heavy ones finished up with a final set of light weight. I have maybe just 10 seconds rest max between sets although because im doing the abs in between each set, the main muscle im working on get a little bit of rest whilst im doing my abs set.

6am strength training is a new thing for me this time around. Id always used to get in from work at 6pm and workout then. All that frustration from a bad day at work was perfect motivation. However now I dont get in from work until 7pm and by the time ive sorted the little lad out, tidied the house, cooked tea etc.. its 9pm and im too shattered. So the only way I can fit things in is to get up early and do them before work. I used to be a big fan of early morning running and always found that worked best for me to burn the fat off, and I seem to be noticing the same sort of thing atm with the early morning workouts.

Im trying a few new things this time around besides the 6am workouts! I have a pre-workout shake rather than a post workout shake. So I have carbs/protien/pre-workout caffine mix/creatine about 15mins before my workout and I find when that kicks in, wow, it powers me for a pretty intense 1 hour. I dont bother with post workout shake, as i just get showered than have my eggs.

Im also using something call fat gripz on my dumbells atm... they seem to really be giving the forearms a good workout and improving my grip. Would recommend you have a go with some of them if you havent already.

Certainly does feel really good to be making progress, although the wifes not noticed at all!!!!

How old are you?

I'm 27 and have been training since I started uni at the age of 18. Used to just do it for general fitness and leisure but this past year I've been training for UKBFF Men's Physique. My first time competing! I hit the stage on Sun 13th September at De Montfort Hall in Leicester (in case anyone's up for coming to watch :lol: )

My coach has put me through the paces of a mixture of high volume and heavy weight training to get myself in peak condition. Two methods I found most effective were GVT (German Volume Training) which is basically 10 sets of 10 reps on the major compound movements supplemented by isolation exercises. The second is a newer method introduced by Neil Hill called Y3T which consists of 3-week cycles. Week 1 is heavy, Week 2 is volume, Week 3 is total annihilation of giant sets and supersets and mulitple dropsets.

A few before and after pics of me (no homo lol)

Dec 2014

2015-08-21_11-27-29.jpg

Last night

IMG-20150820-WA0032.jpg

• Like 5

All good stuff and good to compare notes with other people!

Im in my 40`s, so figure I need to get the look I want before things start going down hill in your 50`s. I already find now that I just dont have the same energy/strength as I had when I was 30. Must be because of the testosterone levels dropping.

Push & pull days seem to work well for me, because as im sure you know, when you do something like a bench press, your also using your shoulders & triceps, so it makes sense to also work them out on the same day if you can. I find if I was to try and workout shoulders or triceps the following day after doing a chest day then id really struggle. I actually did chest 2 days ago and the doms are still killing me today. Thats another thing im noticing now im in my 40`s. recovery seems to be taking longer for me now. Also, food wise, I used to be able to eat like a horse and have no problem, but now im eating a lot less. I remember when I was 30, id have 12 eggs and a couple of cans of tuna in an omlette for breakfast! Now im just having 3 scrambled eggs on a bit of toast!

Set/Rep wise, Im currently aiming for between 10->12 reps each set. If I can hit that then I increase the weight until I can only hit about 8 reps. I sometimes jack the weight up for a couple of max reps if I feel strong just for a challenge!. I typically do a couple of warm up sets, then aim to do about 4 sets of heavy ones finished up with a final set of light weight. I have maybe just 10 seconds rest max between sets although because im doing the abs in between each set, the main muscle im working on get a little bit of rest whilst im doing my abs set.

6am strength training is a new thing for me this time around. Id always used to get in from work at 6pm and workout then. All that frustration from a bad day at work was perfect motivation. However now I dont get in from work until 7pm and by the time ive sorted the little lad out, tidied the house, cooked tea etc.. its 9pm and im too shattered. So the only way I can fit things in is to get up early and do them before work. I used to be a big fan of early morning running and always found that worked best for me to burn the fat off, and I seem to be noticing the same sort of thing atm with the early morning workouts.

Im trying a few new things this time around besides the 6am workouts! I have a pre-workout shake rather than a post workout shake. So I have carbs/protien/pre-workout caffine mix/creatine about 15mins before my workout and I find when that kicks in, wow, it powers me for a pretty intense 1 hour. I dont bother with post workout shake, as i just get showered than have my eggs.

Im also using something call fat gripz on my dumbells atm... they seem to really be giving the forearms a good workout and improving my grip. Would recommend you have a go with some of them if you havent already.

Certainly does feel really good to be making progress, although the wifes not noticed at all!!!!

How old are you?

40s is still ample time enough to get to where you want to be! Drop in the ocean really. Arnie to a lesser degree still gets in shape for a film in his 60s. Stallone even more so. Although doubtless Stallone is dosing.

With regards to the DOMS the amino acids really help immensely. They're part of the penny sake now at Holland and Barett too. Amino 1500 they're called.

I find that if I train multiple body parts on the same day I am there too long. I have 120 seconds rest between sets so with the amount of sets and exercise I do on each body part I'd be there hours. After years of training I've found it optimal for me.

10 seconds rest between sets and my strength after each set would plumett! Sounds like your routine is very intense and almost cardio like whereas I'm going for mass gaining workouts and letting diet and cardio do the work. I dare say with your intense routine you'll be hitting that 10% well before me.

I have no kids which is a big plus for training as I have no one to be here for to take care of. All my friends with kids would love to train but can't. Unless they got up early like you so big plus to you for the motivation to do it.

I used to like a pre workout red bull but for some reason caffeine gives me a big blood sugar crash.

A friend has recommended Cellucor C4 Extreme though and that's caffeine free. I think I'll give it a go.

Oh yeah anything that has a fat grip will really work your forearms because you can't get your hand round it properly. Less grip essentially so forearms compensate.

Yeah my other half is pretty much like "meh". Just wait till were on that beach and I'm flexing like a mad man LOL.

I am a smidge off 34!

I'm 27 and have been training since I started uni at the age of 18. Used to just do it for general fitness and leisure but this past year I've been training for UKBFF Men's Physique. My first time competing! I hit the stage on Sun 13th September at De Montfort Hall in Leicester (in case anyone's up for coming to watch :lol: )

My coach has put me through the paces of a mixture of high volume and heavy weight training to get myself in peak condition. Two methods I found most effective were GVT (German Volume Training) which is basically 10 sets of 10 reps on the major compound movements supplemented by isolation exercises. The second is a newer method introduced by Neil Hill called Y3T which consists of 3-week cycles. Week 1 is heavy, Week 2 is volume, Week 3 is total annihilation of giant sets and supersets and mulitple dropsets.

A few before and after pics of me (no homo lol)

Dec 2014

2015-08-21_11-27-29.jpg

Last night

IMG-20150820-WA0032.jpg

You've transformed your body and really leaned up. Awesome job there buddy.

I've heard of german volume training but never given it a go. I do hate intense training though lol. Big heavy and slow is my game lol.

What are your long term goals?

PS not digging the playboy keks lol :)

Edited by TT350
  • Like 1

I've heard of german volume training but never given it a go. I do hate intense training though lol. Big heavy and slow is my game lol.

Thanks man, it's been gruelling and the hardest I've ever had to train but I've really learned so much about my body and what I can do. And I'm natural as well so it's taken me a lot longer than someone on gear.

To be honest I'll prob compete just the once, it really does take a massive toll on your life and its been an amazing experience but it'll be a one off for me and then will continue to implement the methods I've learnt to maintain decent size and stay lean.

Yeah the playboy boxers are old haha, break out the classy stuff for special time with the Mrs ;):lol:

Used to love it but lots of things getting in the way these days; Increased workload, relationships, children, collapsing metabolism, comfort eating, alcohol/client entertainment and chronic back pain from years of poor technique and not enough stretching. Biggest problem is that your diet has a lot more momentum than training program. I will get back on it one day but for now I think Pilates and/or yoga would be the smarter plan to get my core strength back.

Thanks man, it's been gruelling and the hardest I've ever had to train but I've really learned so much about my body and what I can do. And I'm natural as well so it's taken me a lot longer than someone on gear.

To be honest I'll prob compete just the once, it really does take a massive toll on your life and its been an amazing experience but it'll be a one off for me and then will continue to implement the methods I've learnt to maintain decent size and stay lean.

Yeah the playboy boxers are old haha, break out the classy stuff for special time with the Mrs ;):lol:

A really rewarding experience then and once you've competed you can look back and say "I did that". Not many people can say they took their body and physique to its natural limit.

I couldn't compete. I know a lot of bodybuilders that compete and they do pay a price for it. I'm not sure their personalities ever go back to 'normal' after a few years of training for comps. They become narcissist and critical of anyone who's above 6% bodyfat.

So yeah compete the once then save yourself!

You still have special time with the missus? I remember those days. Just about.

• Like 1

I've always tried to stay in shape .....but never been into bodybuilding . My natural body type is skinny , so I figured I might as well play to my strengths and stick to keeping lean and mainly use bodyweight exercises to try and stay in shape . I only go to the gym about twice a week but climb trees for a job so that helps . I really need to eat cleaner to take it to the next level ..... Just can't bring myself to do it !

Chirage- that's a good transformation !

I would put a pic up of myself but I'm getting old and hairy :)

Fair play Chirag looking good (no homo). B):#1:

I started training (weight lifting) when I stopped smoking in January 2014 but only really started hitting it a bit harder this year (last 7 months or so).

I train 3 times a week for around 45 minutes to an hour. I do a variety routine including sit ups but mainly concentrate on my upper body (arms/forearms/shoulders).

I do 8 reps of each exercise and 4 sets of each (32 lifts total) ~ usually though I'm hitting failure at 5-7 on the fourth set and will usually increase the weight I'm lifting by 1kg each time after I hit failure.

In other words I lift the same weight (be it on my barbell or with dumbbells) each training day but as soon as I can complete the full 32 lifts during the 4 sets I will then increase the weight next time so that next time I lift I'm hitting failure again before I can complete all the sets.

I'm around 5ft 7/8" and have never been a "big build" person but have gotten slightly bigger within the last 17 months odd which is pleasing although I'am slightly disappointed still but I guess considering my diet & genetics I'm doing ok. ;)

• Like 1

I'm 50 next year i've been training at gyms since i was 18 not in my best shape right now as i've been ill for 8 months even though i havent used the gym since before christmas i'm still in better condition than most people my age i,m just starting to use the gym again this week measured my self this week to see how bad it's got

i,m 5ft 7" 44" chest 30" waist arms have got a bit spindly though (i'm not telling you what :blush: ) not too bad considering i want to get my chest up to 45" and waist back down to 28"

:)

I'm 50 next year i've been training at gyms since i was 18 not in my best shape right now as i've been ill for 8 months even though i havent used the gym since before christmas i'm still in better condition than most people my age i,m just starting to use the gym again this week measured my self this week to see how bad it's got

i,m 5ft 7" 44" chest 30" waist arms have got a bit spindly though (i'm not telling you what :blush: ) not too bad considering i want to get my chest up to 45" and waist back down to 28"

:)

Don't focus on numbers weights and measurements at first mate. That gets me down when I have a long lay off. I've found that just getting your gym mojo back is the most important thing.

Oh yeah I forgot measurements.

6'2"

19st

19% body fat

54" chest

36" waist

19.5" biceps

Legs - what legs lol.

I'd like to get to 10% bodyfat and I have no idea how my measurements will be then.

I'd never want to go back to the days I was 12st when I boxed 3 times a week. I was gangly.

Used to love it but lots of things getting in the way these days; Increased workload, relationships, children, collapsing metabolism, comfort eating, alcohol/client entertainment and chronic back pain from years of poor technique and not enough stretching. Biggest problem is that your diet has a lot more momentum than training program. I will get back on it one day but for now I think Pilates and/or yoga would be the smarter plan to get my core strength back.

Are you finding that struggling with a decent diet is hampering your results or is it just that you want to have diet in line first?

I do 8 reps of each exercise and 4 sets of each (32 lifts total) ~ usually though I'm hitting failure at 5-7 on the fourth set and will usually increase the weight I'm lifting by 1kg each time after I hit failure.

In other words I lift the same weight (be it on my barbell or with dumbbells) each training day but as soon as I can complete the full 32 lifts during the 4 sets I will then increase the weight next time so that next time I lift I'm hitting failure again before I can complete all the sets.

Same :)